Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › PRAYING VERSUS ACTING
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) PRAYING VERSUS ACTING (Read 2135 times)
flipswitch
Libertarian Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: PRAYING VERSUS ACTING
Reply #10 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 8:08am
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Feb 5th, 2013 at 9:14am:
Why should I believe in a spiritual world when there is not one iota of evidence for it?  Should I believe in Astrology as well?  Reincarnation?  Demons?  I'm not going to believe in ideas that are merely creations of human imagination.  Like Carl Sagan said, "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

Ok.....Time and This universe has not yet been proven.  I am not being silly, over the top, or reaching to make this point.  It is quite true.

And for Libertarian For our Future.

I wrote about 3 types of people, the third type was the "laid back, doesn't care if people believe, or dont believe, they just personally don't"

That person I have no problems with, it is mainly the snub nosed athiest's who want to talk about "logic" and "science", when science has been continually proven wrong in every facet.

I enjoy science, I love the universe and reading about it, I like nebula's and pulsars, etc....But I do not worship those things.

(Evolution and Micro-Evolution are two seperate entities...I believe Micro-Evolution exists and have no problem with it, and I infact find it to be interesting but......)

Evolution is a religion....It makes many leaps of faith, and makes claims that have never been proven. Yet many atheist's and people without religion(spirituality, one with nature, whatever...doesn't have to be a religion) mock the religious world as being "irrational", when the very "science" they believe in has many holes, and makes many assumptions that have never been proven.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 8:26am
Print Post  
Time and the Universe have not been proven?
Ok.
Roll Eyes

IP Logged

flipswitch
Libertarian Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 8:36am
Print Post  
Yes, show me the proof of Time's existence, as well as the universe.  Kiss

For a "science" guy, you dont seem to really know what is going on right now in the scientific community.

IP Logged

Libertarian For Our Future
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 10:13am
Print Post  
flipswitch wrote on Feb 6th, 2013 at 8:36am:
Yes, show me the proof of Time's existence, as well as the universe.  Kiss

For a "science" guy, you dont seem to really know what is going on right now in the scientific community.

Time is a measurement based off of the sun. We calculate it based off of 24 hour intervals. If you place a stick into the ground, based upon the shadow of the stick, it will show you what the time is based off of clock.

While I've never been into outer space to see the 'universe', the fact remains is there is a reason why the sun, moon, & north star are in the sky. If we only take one example, let's do the north star. If you are lost in the woods, just look to sky and find the brightest star. Based upon a compass, the north star will always point north. That's a good way to get a sense of direction.

However, if you can't find the north star because of the sun, you can use a watch (Based off of time) and use it as a compass. If you don't have a watch, you can still get a sense of direction by putting a stick in the ground, marking the tip of the shadow, waiting 15 minutes, and marking the tip of the resulting shadow. From there, you draw a line between the two marks. Draw a line intersecting the middle of the line and it will represent north & south (Northern Hemisphere, sun at your back is north & sun in your face is south, Southern Hemisphere is the opposite). More information can be found here: http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/survival/wilderness/true-north2.htm

If time & universe were non-existent, scientific reasoning would be non-existent in my above example. And for the last comment, no need to be ignorant to people.

IP Logged

flipswitch
Libertarian Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 11:24am
Print Post  
Libertarian For Our Future wrote on Feb 6th, 2013 at 10:13am:
Time is a measurement based off of the sun. We calculate it based off of 24 hour intervals. If you place a stick into the ground, based upon the shadow of the stick, it will show you what the time is based off of clock.

While I've never been into outer space to see the 'universe', the fact remains is there is a reason why the sun, moon, & north star are in the sky. If we only take one example, let's do the north star. If you are lost in the woods, just look to sky and find the brightest star. Based upon a compass, the north star will always point north. That's a good way to get a sense of direction.

However, if you can't find the north star because of the sun, you can use a watch (Based off of time) and use it as a compass. If you don't have a watch, you can still get a sense of direction by putting a stick in the ground, marking the tip of the shadow, waiting 15 minutes, and marking the tip of the resulting shadow. From there, you draw a line between the two marks. Draw a line intersecting the middle of the line and it will represent north & south (Northern Hemisphere, sun at your back is north & sun in your face is south, Southern Hemisphere is the opposite). More information can be found here: http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/survival/wilderness/true-north2.htm

If time & universe were non-existent, scientific reasoning would be non-existent in my above example. And for the last comment, no need to be ignorant to people.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the sun, 24 hour intervals, or sticks in the ground.   What you just posted is not time, and has nothing to do with time or the universe.   And what makes you think human beings perceptions make what we see, feel, and hear to be "ultimate"   Dogs are color blind, I guess that means color is non-existent then?

Atheists tend to make human beings "god" and have this faux believe our perception is worth a damn, when we are very primitive in that department.   Our eyes are not very good, our hearing sucks, and our machines are absolutely archaic in nature and are not able to produce any real proof that we in fact exist, nor can they prove the big bang, time, space, or anything for that matter.

If you can not prove the universe/time exist, you can not prove anything...sorry, it is just fact.

The current theory is time and the universe are an illusion, none of this is real, for time to exist one would need to take an infinite amount of steps in every direction at the same time.  That is the accepted theory by the brightest minds in the world. I personally don't believe this and have theories of my own BUT the atheists love their "science" until it doesn't suit their needs, then they completely leave out the science that does not work in their favor, or help sustain their weak arguments against a higher power.

Your stick in the ground example is just what people use to gauge a day,  a day is simply how long it takes for the earth to rotate in a 24 hour interval, and has no effect in governing time, or even anything remotely to do with time.  There is no such thing as "up and down" Einstein showed this in his Theory Of Relativity.

Space is dependent on time...Without time, space cant exist, and likewise with space.  Time cannot exist without space, for there is no space for the time to govern.

Space and time are a singularity comprised of two seperate entities, and when they come together they make one.  Without one of these components of the space-time continuum, this space-time continuum ceases to exist.

Time acts as a governor to space, and works in conjunction with space to create another dimension in the universe.  This has nothing to do with the sun or sticks in the ground.

In conclusion, this universe nor time has been proven. When discussing with atheists who believe in this "god has never been proven so that is why it is not true"...I say, neither has the universe.

IP Logged

flipswitch
Libertarian Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 11:35am
Print Post  
[quote author=405D0603070F0601360 link=1359859235/13#13 date=1360163608
If time & universe were non-existent, scientific reasoning would be non-existent in my above example. And for the last comment, no need to be ignorant to people. [/quote]

Your above example showed that is not what time is, not even close.

And as far as your last comment, he didn't need to use an emoticon "rolling his eyes" at me, but he did it anyways.

IP Logged

Libertarian For Our Future
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
flipswitch wrote on Feb 6th, 2013 at 11:24am:
And what makes you think human beings perceptions make what we see, feel, and hear to be "ultimate"   Dogs are color blind, I guess that means color is non-existent then?

If anything I said that made it seem like whatever I say is the 'ultimate', that wasn't my point. The point I was making is that everyone sees things through their own eyes. What I see might not make sense to you, what you see might not make sense to me. At no point in time do I feel as though someone should question another person's beliefs because of it.

You talk about dogs & Einstein. Allow me to address both and provide my input. Dogs 'perception' of not seeing color is their belief color doesn't exist. It's just like people saying that dogs naturally attack dark skinned people because they show up different to them. There's nothing proven to stake on these claims. However, we can claim that dogs perceive everyone equal and hold no discretion to them. They only respond differently to the sounds they hear around them. That perception, to them, is what makes them react to certain situations.

In regards to Einstein's theory of relativity, we can sit here and discuss all day long about what's up or down, north or south. Just because Einstein, as smart as he was, says this is the case, doesn't make it 'ultimate' (Not saying you are saying it, but you get my point). I use the example I stated because I try to make sense of the non-sense. You can claim there is no universe, no God, no time, no relativity, no 'rights', and any other example, I try to make sense of it.

The reason I got tired of dealing with science is because people begin to question everything. If you go with this, then show me centimeters, show me feet, some me liters, some me gallons, and any other metric we want to use to equate things. Scientists try to use mathematical equations to figure out everything in the world. Rather than focusing on things that aren't real or trying to disapprove things that folks deem as real, use science to find cures to the various diseases in the world.

Point being, what you 'perceive' the world to be is what it is to you. What I 'perceive' the world to be is what it is to me. It's the same rhetoric I've been saying on every single one of these type of threads, we are staring at a tie-dye ball. What you see will be different from what I see, ultimately we're still staring at a ball. Neither one of us can tell each other what is right or wrong because what we 'perceive' the ball to be is right in our own eyes.

IP Logged

flipswitch
Libertarian Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
I highly disagree with your perception theory.

If I perceive the world to be all purple, that does not make everything purple.

Perception is not reality, but perception can bring you away from reality, just as it can allow you to see things you never saw before.

Perception can be wrong.

Apply your perception theory to lets says racism...the KKK hates blacks, this is their perception.  This doesn't make it right.

Someone's perception a racoon in the woods to be a  monster.  Because they perceive the racoon as a monster, doesn't make it a monster.

Raping a women is right in a rapists eyes.  Molestation is right in a pedophiles eyes.  That doesn't make it right, whether it be factually, philosophically, or morally.

Perception can easily enter the realm of rationalization.

IP Logged

Shiva_TD
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
flipswitch wrote on Feb 4th, 2013 at 3:38pm:
Th denial of a "spiritual world' is a plague sweeping the world.

ROFLMAO

Denial of something for which no evidence exists is a plague? Really? Seriously?

I read a good quotation recently that I'll have to paraphase.

"People believe all sorts of things but science presents facts regardless of what people believe."

There is no scientific evidence of a spirit, soul, ghosts or supernatural entity.

I would actually state that there is a worldwide plague of people believing in things where no evidence exists related to them. We have billions of people believing in ancient myths created by superstitious minds. Now that is a plague.

IP Logged

Paulie Girl

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - Feb 24th, 2013 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
Bourgeois wrote on Feb 3rd, 2013 at 4:13pm:
From my experience, Christian or religious libertarians are the minority.

Aw, I am a minority. Christian Libertarian here.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › PRAYING VERSUS ACTING
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy