Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Abortion Question
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Abortion Question (Read 2338 times)
RubyHypatia
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: The Abortion Question
Reply #10 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 8:18am
Print Post  
Even the best contraception is only 99% effective.  And when you're a young woman with a healthy sex drive surrounded by men with healthy sex drives, chances are you're going to end up pregnant within a few years of becoming sexually active.  I see no reason for women to live in regret for aborting an embryo.  An embryo is not a person.

IP Logged

Libertarian For Our Future
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 9:18am
Print Post  
Before my wife and I had our first child, we were adamantly pro-choice. We both believed that certain situations would give a woman the right to abort a child, for a legitimate reason (I say legitimate because we also believe that no woman should abort a child just because she can't afford it or doesn't want the child. It's not the child's fault, not fair to not give the child a chance at life).

However, after our daughter was born, we believe in pro-life, for ourselves. What I mean by that is we've never gotten a test done that would determine if the baby is going to be born with some illness. To us, it doesn't matter because we are going to love & take care of the child no matter what. However, for others, we still believe in pro-choice, as there are still valid reasons to not have a child and we believe in respecting that. No one should tell someone when they should or shouldn't have an abortion. Although, I do disagree with the notion that a woman should abort the child because she has a 'healthy sex drive' and gets pregnant. Again, this putting the consequences on the child and the child had no say in which family they were going to be born into. I don't feel anything should prevent a woman from doing it nor do I believe folks should scorn her because of it, I, personally, disagree with it.

Moreover, I'm 100% against any form of public aide to a woman who wishes to do this. Although because of the overall destruction the economy is going through right now, this, along with entitlement programs, will be the last thing to go. I would lump this into 'entitlement' programs as well. However, I definitely don't feel as though I should pay for it, if my wife and myself didn't have abortions when she was pregnant with our daughter and now our son (Who will be born sometime in March of this year), there's no reason, outside of rape, death to the mother, or potential illness to the child, why a woman would need to abort a child.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
An embryo is not a child.  How is life a person without a brain?

IP Logged

ghostlight
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
A living organism that will continue to live, grow and mature, that has human DNA is a person. All other arbitrary devaluation of that life is subjective crap, IMO.

That life no more belongs to the mom than any other human life, even though it happens to be growing inside her during gestation. We know what causes pregnancy. If you don't want a kid, don't engage in unprotected sex. Problem solved.

Rape may seem like a tough call, but I'd offer up this: the child did no harm to the mom; the rapist is to blame. Hang the rapist and let the kid live.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
I'm having a hard time seeing a clump of cells as a person.

And even protected sex can lead to pregnancy.  Remember, contraception can only be 99% effective.  Most young people can have sex more than 100 times in just a year or so.

IP Logged

Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
Regardless if we determine it to be a 'clump of cells' or a child, the fact remains that if 2 consenting adults lay down together and have protected/unprotected sex, you know the effects of the outcome. Regardless if you sit here and tell me the female was on birth control & the boyfriend/husband used a condom and they still got pregnant, at no point will I agree that a woman should abort the child because they can't afford it, they didn't plan on it, or any other reason folks can come up with.

Like I said before, I won't argue that a woman does/doesn't have a right to do it. However, we revolve so much around what the woman should do because it's her body. We all seem to forget about the child that's being created. At no point in time did the child say 'hey, these people seem like a good enough couple, I want to be apart of their family'. However, it comes down that it's a woman's right to be able to 'kill' her child. Again, I'm not arguing the point if she should/shouldn't be able to, I just HIGHLY disagree with that logic.

As you've said in prior threads, Ruby, if you are going to have the child, then it's your responsibility to take care of the child. Same goes if you lay down and have sex, if certain outcomes transpire and a baby is formed because of it, it's the male/female responsibility to take care of the child. If they can't take care of the child or didn't plan on having a child in their lives yet, then they can very much give it up for adoption. I'm willing to bet the child will be more thankful if they are given a chance to be adopted over being killed.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Again, an embryo is not a child.  How is it a person if it doesn't have a brain?

IP Logged

Josh

Stop looking at me like
that, you pervert.

Reply #17 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 4:38am
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Feb 11th, 2013 at 10:35pm:
Again, an embryo is not a child.  How is it a person if it doesn't have a brain?

So you're saying that you're not a person?

#couldntresist

I like big butts and I cannot lie.

IP Logged

Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 9:03am
Print Post  
Why stop at brain? What about the lungs? Kidneys? Liver? Heart? Arms? Legs? Fingers? Skin? Hair?

In my own personal opinion, if 2 consenting adults lay down together and have sex, whether they've used all the necessary precautions or not, they know what could possibly happen. To me, it doesn't matter how you wish to define a 'child', as once the female is deemed pregnant, either by a pregnancy test or her OB-GYN, both parties should take responsibility for the child. You can't pick and chose when it's convenient for the parties involved because the child is always the one who suffers the consequences. Why make the child suffer for someone else mistake? Again, if they can't afford the child or didn't plan on it, they can give the child up for adoption and/or they shouldn't of had sex in the first place.

My outlook on this is most females would rather abort the child and deal with the horror of having to do that to their child (If they have a conscious, that is) rather than carry the child for 9 months and then give it away. Many great people are adopted, the most recent one I can think of is Colin Kaepernick on the San Francisco 49ers team. If his parents decided to abort him, rather than give him up for adoption, who knows where the 49ers would've been this season. We'll never know that because his parents chose to give their child life over death.

I'm sure he didn't have a brain as an embryo, that still doesn't mean he can't become a child and live to do something great in his lifetime. The problem is, people are too selfish and don't think of anyone else. His capabilities have excelled the 49ers into the Super Bowl and make them playoff contenders every year. Who knows what each child could become if they are given a chance.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 9:15am
Print Post  
Again, no brain, not a person.  After all, where does the personality come from?  The brain. 

I can't help but feel all this fuss over women aborting embryos is just men freaking out over losing control of women's fertility. 

BTW, no, I don't think the government should be paying for contraception and abortions.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Abortion Question
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy