Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Most Dangerous Superstition
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Most Dangerous Superstition (Read 9790 times)
Tom Palven
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

The Most Dangerous Superstition
Feb 12th, 2013 at 2:44am
Print Post  
TMDS by Larken Rose is outstanding from an individualist anarchist perspective. Check out my review and those of others at Amazon, below:
http://www.amazon.com/Most-Dangerous-Superstition-Larken-Rose/product-reviews/14...

IP Logged

baby_eater
Ex Member

Re: The Most Dangerous Superstition
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 8:45am
Print Post  
Interesting stuff. Thanks for putting this guy on my radar.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 8:54am
Print Post  
At the moment I'd say Islam.  Right about now the Saudi chastity police are probably freaking out about Valentine's Day.  Religion and politics make for a dangerous combination.

IP Logged

Tom Palven

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Interesting stuff. Thanks for putting this guy on my radar.

You're welcome, and I thank Crystallas for putting him on my radar a week or two ago.

IP Logged

Tom Palven

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Feb 12th, 2013 at 8:54am:
At the moment I'd say Islam. Right about now the Saudi chastity police are probably freaking out about Valentine's Day. Religion and politics make for a dangerous combination.

Hi Ruby,
  Now that you've provided the answer, are we supposed to give you the question?  How does this work?   Smiley

IP Logged

Crystallas

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 1:09am
Print Post  
Larken Rose was simply something I just stumbled across. I probably wouldn't have looked much deeper into it, if you hadn't said it was the work of the person who posted the video.

A good find indubitably. So far I haven't found anything of his that I dislike. He's a little over the top when he goes after personal beliefs, although he makes a big attempt to make sure people understand that he is not attacking them for having differing beliefs.

IP Logged

Shiva_TD

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 6:55am
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Feb 12th, 2013 at 8:54am:
At the moment I'd say Islam. Right about now the Saudi chastity police are probably freaking out about Valentine's Day. Religion and politics make for a dangerous combination.

Religion in general is the most dangerous superstition regardless of the religion. It doesn't have to be but I'm unaware of any situation where a religion did not attempt to impose it's religious beliefs upon the general population often by the most tyrannical of means.

The history of religion is a history of oppression regardless of which religion it might be. Religion creates a power structure and those in power virtually always attempt to expand their power and give little thought to those that they would subject to their power.

To say one religion is better or worse than another is merely a rationalization based upon comparative tyranny without acknowledging that tyranny is always wrong and can't be rationalized.

As noted though it doesn't have to be this way but is has been historically.

IP Logged

Tom Palven

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 7:35am
Print Post  
Shiva_TD wrote on Feb 13th, 2013 at 6:55am:
Religion in general is the most dangerous superstition regardless of the religion. It doesn't have to be but I'm unaware of any situation where a religion did not attempt to impose it's religious beliefs upon the general population often by the most tyrannical of means.

The history of religion is a history of oppression regardless of which religion it might be. Religion creates a power structure and those in power virtually always attempt to expand their power and give little thought to those that they would subject to their power.

To say one religion is better or worse than another is merely a rationalization based upon comparative tyranny without acknowledging that tyranny is always wrong and can't be rationalized.

As noted though it doesn't have to be this way but is has been historically.

Ah, so that's what Ruby meant! Duh. Maybe I didn't get it because I just see Islam as part of the big, Biblical, Judeo-Christi-Islamic superstition with its "One God we all pray to" and its minor sects like Protestants, Catholics, Shiites, Hebrews, Sunnis, down to Baptists, Methodists, Ultra-orthodox Jews, and so on.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 9:55am
Print Post  
Islam is worse than Christianity at this point in time.  I just can't think of any Christian theocracy that rivals the Muslim theocracies when it comes to government intrusion into people's lives.  Can you imagine living with gender segregation, having chastity police roaming the streets?  People are killed for adultery and homosexuality.  I have a hard time wrapping my head around that lack of freedom.  I'm so incredibly happy I was born in the West.

IP Logged

Tom Palven

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Feb 13th, 2013 at 9:55am:
Islam is worse than Christianity at this point in time. I just can't think of any Christian theocracy that rivals the Muslim theocracies when it comes to government intrusion into people's lives. Can you imagine living with gender segregation, having chastity police roaming the streets? People are killed for adultery and homosexuality. I have a hard time wrapping my head around that lack of freedom. I'm so incredibly happy I was born in the West.

At this time, yes. It's young compared to Christianity and seems to be where Christianity was after it endured repression and then went on to gain power and start inquisitions and crusades agains the pagans and the newer Muslims. In this information age we can only hope that Islam grows up faster than Christianity has, which is now not nearly as reprressive as some people like the Reverend Pat Robertson wouild like it to be.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Most Dangerous Superstition
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy