Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Most Dangerous Superstition
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Most Dangerous Superstition (Read 9795 times)
baby_eater
Ex Member

Re: The Most Dangerous Superstition
Reply #10 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Tom Palven wrote on Feb 13th, 2013 at 12:15pm:
At this time, yes.  It's young compared to Christianity and seems to be where Christianity was after it endured repression and then went on to gain power and start inquisitions and crusades agains the pagans and the newer Muslims.  In this information age we can only hope that Islam grows up faster than Christianity has, which is now not nearly as reprressive as some people like the Reverend Pat Robertson wouild like it to be.
Actually, I think Islam was more lenient than Christianity during the Middle Ages. I don't think linear progressivism applies here.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
I don't know why it matters how old Islam is. It's pathetic that Islam in the 21st century not only oppresses its adherents, but its countries' contributions to science are severely lacking.

IP Logged

Tom Palven

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Feb 13th, 2013 at 4:07pm:
I don't know why it matters how old Islam is. It's pathetic that Islam in the 21st century not only oppresses its adherents, but its countries' contributions to science are severely lacking.   

Says at wiki that Hypatia was a mathematician and scholar in Egypt who was murdered by a Christian mob before the advent of Mohammed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypatiahttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypatia

IP Logged

Confederaterocker
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 12:31am
Print Post  
The worst religion is government and poltician worship. It  has killed 290 million people in the last 100 years. I would rather be killed than lay my rifles to the marxists in this so called country.
Take care!!
j

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 8:34am
Print Post  
Tom, I'm well aware that Hypatia was murdered by a mob of Christians.  I debate Christians all the time and they get pissed when I point out the Crusades, Inquisition, and other oppressive activities Christians have engaged in.  Is there some sort of unspoken rule that if you say something negative about Islam, it has to be accompanied by a negative remark about Christianity?  My criticism of Islam is not an endorsement of Christianity.  My point is that AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME Islam is the most dangerous superstition.

IP Logged

Tom Palven

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 10:49am
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Feb 14th, 2013 at 8:34am:
Tom, I'm well aware that Hypatia was murdered by a mob of Christians.  I debate Christians all the time and they get pissed when I point out the Crusades, Inquisition, and other oppressive activities Christians have engaged in.  Is there some sort of unspoken rule that if you say something negative about Islam, it has to be accompanied by a negative remark about Christianity?  My criticism of Islam is not an endorsement of Christianity.  My point is that AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME Islam is the most dangerous superstition. 

Okay, sorry to piss you off.  You can make a good case that Islam is dangerous.  It is, but according to today's paper the good old Christian USA killed another 10 women and children with an "errant" missile attack in Afghanistan yesterday, and I'll still stick with Larken Rose and Confederaterocker that Statism is the most dangerous religion.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Tom Palven wrote on Feb 14th, 2013 at 10:49am:
Okay, sorry to piss you off.  You can make a good case that Islam is dangerous.  It is, but according to today's paper the good old Christian USA killed another 10 women and children with an "errant" missile attack in Afghanistan yesterday, and I'll still stick with Larken Rose and Confederaterocker that Statism is the most dangerous religion.

Why did you put quotations marks around the word, errant?  Are you implying Christians purposely killed 10 women and children in the name of their religion?

IP Logged

Awesome
Libertarian Senior Member

Reply #17 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
I think Tom Pavlen meant Statism, not Christianity.

I agree that Statism is the most dangerous religion. Jesus and Mohammad have static laws that are very difficult for people to change. A government is free to make pretty much whatever agenda it wants (including killing hundreds of thousands of people like the US government.)

NSA agents, if you can read this, your mother will die tomorrow.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
So anyway, the author is right that belief in government, which is a religion, is very dangerous.  Look at Nazi Germany.  Naziism was very much a religion.  Christians like to claim Hitler was an Atheist, he was not.  He had his own brand of Christianity.

IP Logged

Awesome
Libertarian Senior Member

Reply #19 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Although Hitler was born Catholic, I am sure he criticized religion. I can't give a quote now, but I have definitely seen a quote of him saying that religion is very dangerous. I would say fascism is a denomination of Statism (much like Catholicism is a denomination of Christianity.) Hitler wasn't an atheist, though; he was a Statist. A true atheist would be Stefan Molyneux.

I am a Christian (just like Tom Woods, Ron Paul, and Andrew Napolitano!)

EDIT: I have heard that Tom Woods converted to Catholicism. So what was he originally?

NSA agents, if you can read this, your mother will die tomorrow.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Most Dangerous Superstition
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy