Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Religion and Personal Freedom
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Religion and Personal Freedom (Read 3730 times)
RubyHypatia
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Religion and Personal Freedom
Feb 15th, 2013 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
They don't always go well with each other.  I'm speaking from personal experience.  My grandparents were fundie Christians and they took me to church.  I was taught that I should not love the world.  In other words, no rock music, dancing, pre-marital sex, or movies.  Damn those fundies suck the life out of life!  I suppose it could be worse.  I could have been born into an Amish community.  Or even worse, a Middle Eastern Islamist community.  They don't have much art and music to speak of, not so much into self-expression.  So the next time you go see a movie, listen to your favorite song, sleep with your girl/boy friend, or do some dirty dancing, be grateful a fundie religion isn't enslaving your mind.

IP Logged

keauxbi

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Religion and Personal Freedom
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2013 at 8:14am
Print Post  
It's not that they don't want you to have ANY fun, you just have to have fun that coincides with their set of values and traditions. 

It's common with any society or culture.  We don't allow serial killers to have "fun" because their idea of "fun" is contrary to personal freedoms.  The metaphor is a stretch but you get the idea.

I do think it's humorous that they have the 10 commandments but they like to stretch them to cover anything that they personally don't like to see.  You can't use pot because... er... Undecided...um.... stealing?  You can't have premarital sex because thou shalt not commit adultery and that person MIGHT not end up as your wife. 

I was even told by my fundie brother that swearing was a sin and he went into some mental machinations and scripture spinning to tell me it was wrong.  He couldn't answer the question "If I say shoot instead of shit but in the same spirit of the moment, is that cursing?"

Keauxbi
"Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization..."--Edward Abbey

IP Logged

Crystallas

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2013 at 10:41am
Print Post  
Well, you should be able to gain your own personal sovereignty at the age you are ready to bare the consequence.

Parent's don't have to take care of you. That is the simple fact.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2013 at 11:33am
Print Post  
I went to Bob Jones University for two years and had the, "right kind of fun" in that time.  But I'm glad I married a guy who was a more liberal Christian, didn't go to church, saw nothing wrong with the, "worldly" things I mentioned.  It took awhile to get over the guilt.  Now I'm an Atheist and don't care who knows my daughter was born seven months after I got married.  Unfortunately, I still feel the need to be somewhat a closet Atheist, at least to the in-laws.

IP Logged

Crystallas

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2013 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
I'm agnostic, and only a few people in my family know for the same reasons. Honestly, I don't care if they do, and I don't push the issue. My priorities are with personal freedoms, and telling them what is right and wrong would be quite the opposite.

However, if they bring up religion, I am well versed. Smiley I love to contradict them with the Bible, Torah, and Qur'an(yes, I have a diverse family) in any religious debate. But I do it peacefully, because who am I to say they are in the wrong, if they aren't aggression on myself or others(actions speak louder than words, ect).

Yesterday I visited my mother. It's now lent, so no meat. I didn't make any issue of it. I didn't eat meat, and also fasted in the morning. Also, like going to a funeral, I still kneel at the church and go through the steps. None of it bothers me. If you are confidant in your own beliefs, sharing moments of belief with people you care about wont change who you are. When i go to a vegans house, and they prepare food for me, I don't make an issue of it either.

IP Logged

Norwegian Libertarian
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2013 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
There's an objective way to have "fun"?

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Feb 17th, 2013 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
Crystallas, I agree 100% with your attitude.   

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Feb 17th, 2013 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
Quote:
There's an objective way to have "fun"?

It was hard being a fundie Christian attending public school.  Other kids went to dances, listened to rock music, dressed in fashionable clothes, saw movies, etc.  I hate that my freedom of expression was greatly restricted.  I think greater freedom of expression, within reason, adds to people's happiness.

IP Logged

Liberalterian

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Feb 17th, 2013 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
*Awaits Flipswitch's take on this.   Grin

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Feb 18th, 2013 at 8:52am
Print Post  
Liberalterian wrote on Feb 17th, 2013 at 9:28pm:
*Awaits Flipswitch's take on this. Grin

Is he/she a fundie?  Can a fundie be libertarian?  Somehow I doubt it because fundies tend to want the government to enforce their morals.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Religion and Personal Freedom
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy