Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Religion and Personal Freedom
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Religion and Personal Freedom (Read 3624 times)
Bourgeois
Libertarian Freedom Member

Counterrevolutionary
, Principle Foe of Dennis

Re: Religion and Personal Freedom
Reply #30 - Feb 24th, 2013 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Feb 24th, 2013 at 4:09pm:
Like wives submit to your husbands?

I'm not religious but what's wrong with that?

"The government is a greedy piglet that suckles on a taxpayer's teet until they have sore, chapped nipples."

IP Logged

chris105
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Feb 24th, 2013 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
I see the submission aspect more like a social norm that was learned - regardless of religion.  I imagine cavemen clubbed women over the head long before the thought of a higher power was ever developed.  Men having more power in a relationship isn't mutually exclusive to couples with religious beliefs.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #32 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 8:17am
Print Post  
The Bible doesn't command men to submit to their wives.  There is no reason that a particular gender should have authority over the other one in a marriage relationship.  Notice that women aren't, generally, expected to promise to obey their husbands in marriage ceremonies anymore.  No doubt that had to do with the gender equality that has been gained, and isn't equality a Libertarian ideal?

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #33 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 8:27am
Print Post  
Chris, I doubt most cavemen actually clubbed women over the head.  I wonder where that idea got started.  Anyway, in romantic relationships men aren't just automatically the ones in control.  In some its men, in some its women, and in others power is equally shared.  These dynamics all work out fine so long as no one is overbearing.

IP Logged

Liberalterian

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #34 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
Bourgeois does NOT support equality.  Grin Just saying.

But yes, I agree with you Ruby, there's plenty of relationships where women are in charge or men are in charge or it's somewhat equal. Though from the relationships I have viewed (and been in) the women are generally in charge. That may not be the case from how it initially looks but generally women seem to have methods to run the show and get their man to do something they desire from them. Women generally seem to be more psychologically adept than men, they can subconsciously get you to do stuff. Of course, this is a generalization and there are also men who can do similar things.

IP Logged

Libertarian For Our Future
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #35 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
I agree with you Liberalterian & Ruby. I don't believe it's always one sided. I'm a very strong minded individual, however, my wife runs parts of the relationship while I run others. I'd say it's mutually equal as both have strong traits that are beneficial to one another. There are just somethings I can't do that she is far better at than I am and vice versa.

When we step into this realm of theory/reality, I believe it comes down to the actual individual. Some people (Trying to keep this far from generalization as possible) want to be in total and complete control. In some relationships, this is healthy because the other side is generally not as strong and needs the stronger companion to fill that void. I'd only say men have been the predominate factor in this because it's been predominately men who've run this country. As we progress forward, we'll begin to see the dynamics change. Whether it stays the same or we see females begin to take on that power trip (IE: Pelosi & Feinstein), remains to be seen.

In the end, I believe there needs to be a balance that is beneficial to the relationship as a whole. If it needs to be one sided, so be it. As long as both sides agree to that style of relationship, I generally don't see the wrong doing in it. Unless it makes a forced type scenario, where one side is being forced to accept another's rules, then I have to disagree with it.

IP Logged

Crystallas

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #36 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
Hey Ruby. Just wanted to say, I support a considerable lot more equality between genders than 1950s sterotypes. But I'm curious to hear your opinion on one of my non-negotiable viewpoints.

For example, my girlfriend of 8 years wants to get married. I don't believe in state-defined or regulated marriage, but I'm willing to compromise. If she proposes, and I like her proposal, I might put aside that principal to make her happy. But I will never propose to her, because I see it as sexist to assume that is the man's role. Neither one of us is young, so if her ultimate goal is a relationship status, rather than the relationship itself, the clock is ticking LOL

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #37 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
My views on marriage have certainly evolved since I stopped being a religious person. I say be with the one you want to be with. No magic happens when a state or religion sanctions a romantic relationship. And along that same line, children should never be called, "bastards," or, "illegitimate."

IP Logged

Zimobog

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #38 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Women have half the money and all the vagina. Therefore, women are in control of all relationships.

I'm sure it is, Mr. Lefty Pants. I'll take your word for it.
The libertarian creed rests upon one central axiom: that no man or group of men may aggress against the person or property of anyone else.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #39 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
I'm not buying that women manipulate their husbands into doing what they want.  Ever hear of selective hearing?  I talk about getting some stuff done around the house, and suddenly my husband is deaf.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Religion and Personal Freedom
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy