Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › InterState meddling.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) InterState meddling. (Read 1435 times)
CmdrSlander

Libertarian's Forum

Re: InterState meddling.
Reply #10 - Feb 24th, 2013 at 12:44am
Print Post  
keauxbi wrote on Feb 20th, 2013 at 5:30pm:
The heart of the issue that I take offense to has nothing to do with gun control. I think it's stupid and reckless for my brother to ask people who are not residents of his state to lobby his state legislature. There are 5 million Coloradoans and 310 million Non-Coloradoans. If every American did what he asked a small minority (calling it a small minority is laughable, he asked 5 people) to do would in effect drown out the voice of Coloradoans. The right to self government ([r]epublicanism) was what the revolution was fought over and is what we should be fighting against the federal government for.

I think this is silly because as an American who can move freely throughout the several states and be subject to their laws, I have a right to make my voice heard. I'd rather not be fined or jailed for transporting a piece of plastic with a spring in it while passing through Co.

Colorado's legislators should be concerned with how their policies will be viewed outside their state.

IP Logged

Crystallas
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Feb 24th, 2013 at 1:15am
Print Post  
CmdrSlander wrote on Feb 24th, 2013 at 12:39am:
A) Wanting a 30 round magazine does not mean you would necessarily feel less safe than if you had a 15 rounder, all having a 30 rounder does is make you more prepared which is a good thing, and we the people have every right to a magazine of whatever capacity we want because the gun is mine, the mag is mine, therefore the decision to install the mag into the gun is mine and no one else's... it's called property rights, mon frere.

B) I sent messages to CO legislators telling them I would not support their state with my tourism or interstate commerce if such legislation was passed, that isn't meddling, that's me using my economic power as a free person to affect change and is perfectly ethical and lawful.

C) Colorado's political makeup is very similar to our nation's political makeup and it is the Democrat's test case for national gun control (to the extent that Biden called Dem. legislators to give the aid and advice) which all Libertarians should strongly oppose. On this issue, if Colorado goes, so goes the nation.

You make an excellent devil's advocate argument. And of course, you should be free to peacefully demonstrate across borders if it is in your interest. The only conflict would be granting bias/favortism over the homesteader to which the legislation applies most.

IP Logged

CmdrSlander

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Feb 24th, 2013 at 2:02am
Print Post  
Thank you.

I believe gun rights should be wholly supported by libertarians, considering that not only are guns private property but also also protected by the Constitution.

You don't have to be a gun fancier like me to support gun rights.

IP Logged

keauxbi
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Feb 24th, 2013 at 10:51am
Print Post  
Crystallas wrote on Feb 24th, 2013 at 1:15am:
The only conflict would be granting bias/favortism over the homesteader to which the legislation applies most.

I think this is where my opposition to what my brother was asking lies.  He was voluntarily dismissing his right to self government and hoping that his representatives would be swayed by those outside of his state.  IF someone were to voluntarily contact the state reps of Colorado or as Bloomberg did and throw money at candidates then that's not wholly objectionable from my point of view. He did not include our centrist sister in the email chain probably because she would have supported the legislation as "common sense" reforms.  By seeking a friendly audience he was "Astroturfing" support for his self-government suicide.

Keauxbi
"Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization..."--Edward Abbey

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › InterState meddling.
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy