Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Boycotts: Effective? And who?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Boycotts: Effective? And who? (Read 1237 times)
Crystallas
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Boycotts: Effective? And who?
Reply #10 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
zophos wrote on Feb 21st, 2013 at 10:40pm:
I only briefly looked at the anti-gay charity that Chick-fil-a was supporting, and it does appear to engage in lobbying (that is, trying to force their morality on another person thus violating that person's rights). From a strictly libertarian perspective this is problematic, but within the framework of a democracy, which includes the right to petition the government, there's nothing necessarily unethical about it. In the final analysis, though, I'll agree with you; it's best to err on the side of liberty, and just because something is legal does not make it right.

Besides the lobbying, there is Chick-fil-a's non-lobbying advocacy work, which is not problematic within libertarianism at all - that's their freedom of speech and conscience at work. And it was this non-lobbying advocacy that I was focusing on in my original comment. A difference in opinions is no reason to boycott someone.

The lobby argument can go either way from a libertarian perspective. Just like you can't fault someone for taking unemployment and social security, you can't fault a company for lobbying, as much as the fault bares with the legislators and regulators that ignore their oath of office. They get the real blame, because anyone can "lobby", like we can all find common ground, and lobby as well.

However, if someone chose to boycott a business based on their lobby ties and actions, I would say that is a fair use of a boycott. Whether or not it is effective, is a different argument that breaks down the sheer organization behind the boycott supporters themselves.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Boycotts: Effective? And who?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy