Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Draft
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The Draft (Read 2269 times)
RubyHypatia
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

The Draft
Feb 20th, 2013 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
Oh god, I'm debating right-wingers on whether or not the draft should be reinstated.  I say no.  Americans will line up for military service if our freedom in threatened.  As for fighting for other countries' freedom, no, our young people shouldn't be forced to do that.  Did we not learn anything from Vietnam?

IP Logged

Bourgeois

Counterrevolutionary
, Principle Foe of Dennis

Re: The Draft
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
Ha! One of the main flaws of a draft is that it increases the control of war by the political elite, and decreases the say of the military and the people. (Which is one reason why your "right wing" friends are actually just left wingers). If you must go to war, there is no say in your participation. For example, I would willingly partake (preferably in a militia) to defend the country from attack. However, I would never set foot on foreign ground, even if there was a draft. If the people cannot choose if/when they will fight, then isn't that giving OBAMA and the FEDS a lot of control of soldiers' fate?

Also, in theory, doesn't the 10th amendment leave such a decision (of drafting) to the states? Or am I wrong about that?

"The government is a greedy piglet that suckles on a taxpayer's teet until they have sore, chapped nipples."

IP Logged

The Free Man
Libertarian Senior Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Conscription = Slavery.

And debatably the matriarchy's oppression of men Cheesy

IP Logged

Libertarian For Our Future
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
Bourgeois wrote on Feb 20th, 2013 at 7:12pm:
Also, in theory, doesn't the 10th amendment leave such a decision (of drafting) to the states? Or am I wrong about that?

Since when has the Federal Government cared about the Constitution? Grin

The way I read a lot of the Constitution is that it usually is up to the State to decide what the citizens of the State should follow. No where in there does it state that the Federal Government will hold power over the States. Unfortunately, the Fed has given itself so much power over the years/decades/centuries and the folks elected into the local State office don't understand the concept of the Constitution (Or just don't care, both equally horrible) to stop the Feds from taking over the States.

That's why I applaud States that say they won't uphold any laws the Federal Government hands down. I find it funny when folks complain that the States are taking the law into their own hand. Blindly not even fully understanding the concepts of what the Union of the States are and what the Constitution truly stands for. The more I learn about this country, the more I'm applaud at the fact that our educational system truly is above & beyond messed up. Forget churning out scientists, doctors, computer geeks, etc, we can't even educate our children on the basic premises of our American history/culture, let alone how to figure out how to perform a liver transplant.

In yet, when the Feds come knocking on the door, we're all supposed to bow to the master. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
The Free Man wrote on Feb 20th, 2013 at 9:08pm:
Conscription = Slavery.

And debatably the matriarchy's oppression of men Cheesy

It's men who force men to fight.

IP Logged

The Free Man
Libertarian Senior Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Feb 20th, 2013 at 10:19pm:
It's men who force men to fight.

And it is the women who encourages their sons and husbands to join the military for the past millenias.

IP Logged

Crystallas

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
I only see one case, where a draft is remotely compatible with libertarianism. It would still require a voluntary exchange.

If an adult were to agree in principle to being drafted due to X-circumstances, then they would honor that commitment to serve.

Professional sports have drafts. All of it is done with full consent. This is the only type of draft that is compatible.

IP Logged

stue denum

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
What about Switzerland? Considering that they are landlocked with France to the west, Germany to the north, Austria (and Lichtenstein) to the east and Italy to the south, and that they have a policy of armed neutrality, how forgiving are you of their draft/conscription?

IP Logged

Crystallas

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 1:49am
Print Post  
stue denum wrote on Feb 20th, 2013 at 11:47pm:
What about Switzerland? Considering that they are landlocked with France to the west, Germany to the north, Austria (and Lichtenstein) to the east and Italy to the south, and that they have a policy of armed neutrality, how forgiving are you of their draft/conscription?

The stance wouldn't matter for any nation-state. Switzerland nationals could just as easily volunteer for services if need be. If any scenario arises that deems a threat, that situation will change the trend of how many volunteer and how many oppose the current stances taken by the military.

Much like a tax on revenue being theft of money, a draft is a theft of your primary livelihood. A volunteer structure will invite the most willing and supportive of diverse ideas and functions. ie: Person A doesn't want to serve for a cause they believe in, but they can donate to person B, or to the cause in general.

Effectively, by show of support, you wind up with the most collective wisdom, via the tools of the marketplace. When leaders make rash decisions to go into a conflict, they can easily lose the support of their militia. The wiser is the victor.

IP Logged

Tom Palven

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 3:07am
Print Post  
A draft is involuntary servitude even more than taxation is. 
What is more statist than a military draft?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Draft
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy