Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Libertarian solution to discourage illegal immigration.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Libertarian solution to discourage illegal immigration. (Read 853 times)
keauxbi
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian solution to discourage illegal immigration.
Feb 23rd, 2013 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
Libertarian For Our Future wrote on Feb 22nd, 2013 at 5:38pm:
Now to help this cause with the minimum wage, corporate tax, tariffs, and the many other things, that's a different thread altogether. Smiley

Great jumping off point.  Let's say the Dimms and GOP (Gay Old Party) decide that they are going to keep the immigration laws as they are, basically foreigners wanting the "God given inalienable" rights of America have to jump through waiting periods and legal red tape.  However, they appoint you to do all that you can to discourage people from crossing the border illegally to enjoy God given rights of nature. 

What are the measures that you enact?  Do we lower the minimum wage to discourage employers from paying cash under the table?  Border fence?  Mandatory Nationalized ID cards?

This should be interesting... Grin

Keauxbi
"Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization..."--Edward Abbey

IP Logged

Tom Palven

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Libertarian solution to discourage illegal immigration.
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2013 at 3:20pm
Print Post  

Since God only gave American citiziens the right to travel and work wherever they want to, among other exclusive God-given rights the US state has, like the right to drone anyone in the world the power-that-be don't like, Congress should petition God to keep other people in their place.

IP Logged

Steve in VC

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2013 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Eliminate the minimum wage, require a SSI number (changed, so it doesn't require citizenship), and the employer is required to collect income tax, payroll tax, unemployment insurance, workers comp, etc. as required by the state and federal government.  And, to collect any additional tax that is required by the country of origin.

Instead of the tacit open border, which favors Mexico, open the borders publically.

IP Logged

Libertarian For Our Future
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2013 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
The biggest thing that needs to occur is deflation. People fear this word as if it's such a bad thing. Wages need to come down so the prices can come down. In order to bring that down, you need to look at bringing taxes down. One of my co-workers and I was discussing this and he brought up a good point. If folks are making a good bit of money and if the company states that in order to keep them, they would need to reduce their pay or they would have to let them go. Some folks might actually take the lower pay just so they had a job, as the job market is terrible these days.

Furthermore, I've saw reports on how big corporations are lobbying for Congress to allow them to hire folks from overseas as they can't fill highly skilled positions. To me, I think that's bogus. The fact is people can't afford to get that higher education. It's all a big scam, to me. That is, our educational system. Public education that isn't worth jack, once you're out, pay boat loads of money and they'll provide you with knowledge that MIGHT actually work for your future. Yeah, that's not a scam at all.

So, to be honest keauxbi, this issue is deeper, in my eyes, than just money. Technology is leading the way. Even though we, as a nation, are DRASTICALLY behind the curve compared to other countries, our lack of skilled individuals are our down fall. We are moving towards the technological era and if you aren't crafty with computers, you are already behind. To me, I think the educational system has failed our society and has made us dumber, overall, because of it. Then again, we can also look at the other factor of lowering taxes, lowering wages, and lowering prices so folks can learn new skills on the job. Problem is, folks either aren't willing to pay folks lower incomes to learn the skill and individuals won't accept the lower pay because of the job they are doing.

In the end, I believe illegal immigration will continue, it's a fact of human nature. The difference is that we need to ensure that if more American citizens are out of work that we put them back to work first. Then, my own personal opinion and theory, if we stop the drug wars, especially on marijuana, the Mexican drug cartel will dismantle in Mexico. I firmly believe majority of the folks coming from Mexico are trying to get away from it. As such, life might not be so bad back in their home country. Not saying that we should do it just because of that, as it's costing us a ridiculous amount of money (Not including the amount of dirty cops that's involved as well). However, I can't say I don't blame them but I also don't believe what they are doing is right either. As the old saying goes, 2 wrongs don't make it right.

IP Logged

Awesome
Libertarian Senior Member

Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2013 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
Getting rid of the minimum wage would help illegal immigrants. Now they can actually work!

(Not that I endorse the minimum wage, but just saying.)

NSA agents, if you can read this, your mother will die tomorrow.

IP Logged

chris105
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2013 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
Libertarian For Our Future wrote on Feb 23rd, 2013 at 9:04pm:
Furthermore, I've saw reports on how big corporations are lobbying for Congress to allow them to hire folks from overseas as they can't fill highly skilled positions. To me, I think that's bogus. The fact is people can't afford to get that higher education. It's all a big scam, to me. That is, our educational system. Public education that isn't worth jack, once you're out, pay boat loads of money and they'll provide you with knowledge that MIGHT actually work for your future. Yeah, that's not a scam at all.

I think the problem with higher education is that everyone can afford it initially, because the federal government wants to give everyone the opportunity to go to college, as if they don't already have it.  The true costs of college, inflated by government involvement, are soon realized when students graduate and enter the workforce.  With high loan bills they expect a high salary.  Whereas an immigrant with the same set of skills, might not carry that same premium.  I have read studies that show the U.S isn't producing skilled professionals like engineers, doctors, scientists etc...  So perhaps companies do need to recruit abroad.

IP Logged

Josh

Stop looking at me like
that, you pervert.

Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2013 at 1:29am
Print Post  
Tom Palven wrote on Feb 23rd, 2013 at 3:20pm:
Since God only gave American citiziens the right to travel and work wherever they want to, among other exclusive God-given rights the US state has, like the right to drone anyone in the world the power-that-be don't like, Congress should petition God to keep other people in their place.

I second this notion.

I like big butts and I cannot lie.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Libertarian solution to discourage illegal immigration.
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy