Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Threat from Islamic Terrorists
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Threat from Islamic Terrorists (Read 2078 times)
Awesome
Libertarian Senior Member

Re: Threat from Islamic Terrorists
Reply #10 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Feb 25th, 2013 at 11:53am:
I don't think so.  They certainly didn't target civilians.
That was sarcasm. I was emphasizing how foolish it is to judge someone just for breaking the government commands.

NSA agents, if you can read this, your mother will die tomorrow.

IP Logged

Shiva_TD
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 7:27am
Print Post  
An act of terrorism is a criminal action by an individual or group.

Criminal acts don't threaten our Rights as a society although they can violate our Rights as a Person as can many criminal acts. The Rights of Americans were never compromised by the terrorists but have been compromised by our goverment in response to these criminal acts.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 8:48am
Print Post  
Agreed Shiva.

I still wonder what Bin Laden and his organization thought they were going to accomplish.  Maybe cripple us economically?  Then shouldn't they have aimed for Wall Street?  Yeah, we would have weathered that just fine as well.  What we can't weather is mounting regulations.

IP Logged

Zimobog

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
Destruction of a symbol is what was desired.

I'm sure it is, Mr. Lefty Pants. I'll take your word for it.
The libertarian creed rests upon one central axiom: that no man or group of men may aggress against the person or property of anyone else.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Zimobog wrote on Feb 26th, 2013 at 12:32pm:
Destruction of a symbol is what was desired.

But still, what would that accomplish?  Maybe he thought that once we retaliated the entire Muslim world would rise up against the West?  From what I've read Bin Ladin and his organization were majorly pissed that there were Westerners in their holy land, Saudi Arabia.  On top of that we tend to export our culture, and some people don't like seeing changes like that to their way of life.

IP Logged

Zimobog

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 12:35am
Print Post  
What did the destruction of a symbol accomplish? It galvanized support for his cause among adherents of extreme fundamental Islam.
It cemented his leadership of the movement in that he had succeeded where others had failed in an earlier attack.

I doubt Bin Laden ever imagined that the US would react so impulsively against it's own citizens, but maybe he felt it was a bonus.

I'm sure it is, Mr. Lefty Pants. I'll take your word for it.
The libertarian creed rests upon one central axiom: that no man or group of men may aggress against the person or property of anyone else.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 7:58am
Print Post  
Didn't end so well for him, did it?  Upon his death we should have declared victory and gotten the hell out of there.  Globalization, not drones, will get the Middle East into the 21st. century.

IP Logged

Shiva_TD

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 8:41am
Print Post  
What many fail to understand is that overwhelmingly terrorist attacks in the United States are acts of domestic terrorism. International acts of terrorism committed in the United States is extremely rare.

The actual commissions of an international acts of terrorism in the US can be counted on one hand and the conspiring to commit international acts of terrorism in the US is probably less than two dozen since WW II.

Yes, 9/11 killed a lot of people and was the worst case of terrorism on US soil in the history of the nation but it was only one coordinated terrorist attack. The only other international act of terrorism committed on US soil that comes to my mind is the 1993 WTC bombing. Name another one of the top of your head.

We can identify numerous domestic terrorist attacks without even thinking about it. The Oklahoma City Bombing and the Olympic Park Bombing come instantly to mind as well as the airplane attack on an IRS building in Texas a couple of years ago. Hundreds of terrorist attacks occur that we're not even aware of such as "animal Rights" terrorist attacks and we don't hear about them because they are so common and no one is killed by them (actually deaths from terrorist attacks even worldwide are relatively rare).

We also have a distorted perception of what is being called a "terrorist" attack. Israel, for example, classifies an attack on an Israeli military unit as a terrorist attack but an insurgent attack on a military unit is not a terrorist attack. The attack on the USS Cole wasn't really a terrorist attack because it was an attack on a military ship as a part of a war against the US military interventionism in the sovereign affairs of other nations. Attacks on the military of a nation are acts of war and not of terrorism.

Blowing up a church, which happened in the South by the KKK during the Civil Rights Movement in the 1960's and the burning of a Muslim mosque which has happened more recently in the US, are acts of terrorism. Killing an abortion doctor by Christian funamentalists is an act of terrorism.

Bottom line we don't really face much of a threat of terrorism by Islamic terrorists in the US. I would go so far as to say we have more of a potential problem with Christian terrorists in the US today than we do with potential Islamic terrorists if we were only to address religion as the motivation for acts of terrorism. We can also note that the only reason the US faces any threat of international terrorist acts by foreign Islamic fundamentalists is because of our military interventionism. End the US military interventionism and we fundatmentally end the threat.   

IP Logged

Libertarian For Our Future
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 9:37am
Print Post  
Shiva_TD wrote on Feb 27th, 2013 at 8:41am:
Bottom line we don't really face much of a threat of terrorism by Islamic terrorists in the US. I would go so far as to say we have more of a potential problem with Christian terrorists in the US today than we do with potential Islamic terrorists if we were only to address religion as the motivation for acts of terrorism. We can also note that the only reason the US faces any threat of international terrorist acts by foreign Islamic fundamentalists is because of our military interventionism. End the US military interventionism and we fundatmentally end the threat.

This statement sums up everything I've been saying. Further adding to your point, majority of the wars that have been started has been because of religion. Whether it is a local religion to the country or another, it still based itself off of a religious belief and how it shouldn't be impeded upon.

I also agree with Ruby where Bin Laden clearly stated that it was because of our military presence in their holy land that made him coordinate the attack on 9/11. Even further reports came out that the President and his administration knew about this attack months in advance and did nothing about it. While we can get into the deeper 'theories' of 9/11, I'm going to stick to the topic.

I agree to get all of our military and civilian presence out of each country. I still don't understand why we have an Embassy in Vietnam after we've lost the "war". Civilians are still in Libya after the attack with military presence protecting them. Then there are reports we're setting up a drone site manned by 100 people in Mali to fight 'terrorism'. To me, as I've said before, it feels like the USA is literally trying to start another World War. I don't know about you guys but I definitely don't feel any bit secure knowing that our noses is in just about every country in the world. It's about time we end that.

IP Logged

Steve in VC

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 10:07am
Print Post  
keauxbi wrote on Feb 25th, 2013 at 12:11pm:
So long as their is support for war against "terrorists" the definition of "terrorist" will change to suit the governments need to attack people.  In 2002 terrorist meant Al-Qaida and groups like them.  Then we shifted the meaning to include insurgents in Afghanistan and Iraq who probably just wanted the US out of their homeland.  Next we'll shift it to mean American Civilians who reject the notion of overbearing top down government. 
Like Libertarians....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Threat from Islamic Terrorists
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy