Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Ever wonder why impoverished cities always vote the same way?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ever wonder why impoverished cities always vote the same way? (Read 2556 times)
The Free Man
Libertarian Senior Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Ever wonder why impoverished cities always vote the same way?
Reply #10 - Jul 23rd, 2013 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Irish Catholics have destroyed Massachusetts just like their own Republic.

IP Logged

Coopers

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 3:46am
Print Post  
The Free Man wrote on Jul 23rd, 2013 at 2:16pm:

This is getting old. If you're going to write this trash then at least back up your bigoted bullshit.

IP Logged

Liberalterian
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
The Free Man wrote on Jul 23rd, 2013 at 2:16pm:

I was in Ireland and I found it to be pretty nice there...

IP Logged

The Free Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
Coopers wrote on Jul 24th, 2013 at 3:46am:
This is getting old. If you're going to write this trash then at least back up your bigoted bullshit.

I am making a point about immigration. You know, many of the people who oppose open borders came from immigrant families themselves. In the 1840s and 1850s Ireland was a hell of alot poorer than Mexico now. If I am not mistaken, you don't fully support open borders. You also being from Australia, much of the immigrants were criminals and convicts. So how are immigrants ruining cities today anymore than they did 150 years ago? (Ignoring the welfare state)

IP Logged

Coopers

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
So the "destroyed" Irish Republic is full of...Irish immigrants?

This is just another example of you seeing references to the Irish and deciding to make crude comments for no good reason. At first I thought you were just joking, but now it is just tired and annoying.

If you really are talking about immigration, then maybe you should examine the positive shaping of identity by the Irish in countries like the US and Australia. And when discussing history, you should examine the stateless and capitalistic nature of the island before it was destroyed by the ancestors you so admire.

IP Logged

The Free Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
Coopers wrote on Jul 24th, 2013 at 12:51pm:
So the "destroyed" Irish Republic is full of...Irish immigrants?

This is just another example of you seeing references to the Irish and deciding to make crude comments for no good reason. At first I thought you were just joking, but now it is just tired and annoying.

If you really are talking about immigration, then maybe you should examine the positive shaping of identity by the Irish in countries like the US and Australia. And when discussing history, you should examine the stateless and capitalistic nature of the island before it was destroyed by the ancestors you so admire.

But is Stateless always better than the Government alternative? Take a look at Catalonia during the Spanish Civil War. Yes, the region might of been a functioning anarchist society, more so than any in history (The Paris Commune is a different discussion) but the conditions were worse than other regions of Spain. Catalonia was plagued with robberies and murder. Criminals were rarely punished, and when they were it usually was dealt by a firing squad. Medieval times fail to qualify as an example of anarchy if you ask me.

It's all a matter of perspective on how you think a certain immigrant group shaped a country.

IP Logged

Coopers

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
The Free Man wrote on Jul 24th, 2013 at 2:24pm:
But is Stateless always better than the Government alternative? Take a look at Catalonia during the Spanish Civil War. Yes, the region might of been a functioning anarchist society, more so than any in history (The Paris Commune is a different discussion) but the conditions were worse than other regions of Spain. Catalonia was plagued with robberies and murder. Criminals were rarely punished, and when they were it usually was dealt by a firing squad. Medieval times fail to qualify as an example of anarchy if you ask me.

I agree, but what has that got to do with Stateless Ireland? Are you saying it was a failure? It may not have been perfect, but it was an advanced society with a very admirable common law legal system. It is not an accident that so many libertarians look to it as a model on which to base a free society.

Quote:
It's all a matter of perspective on how you think a certain immigrant group shaped a country.

Yes, but I hardly see how the Irish "destroyed" anything. And I hardly see how the Republic is the kind of shithole that would warrant your attacks.

IP Logged

Liberalterian
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
Coopers wrote on Jul 24th, 2013 at 2:32pm:
Yes, but I hardly see how the Irish "destroyed" anything. And I hardly see how the Republic is the kind of shithole that would warrant your attacks.

Agreed, I found Ireland a hell of a lot nicer than England to be honest. The British are way too uptight with their Security.

IP Logged

Bertu
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
A state is only good at defending a group of people from other aggressive states or radical organized political groups (as both entities don't act rationally from an economic POV).

I find it difficult to imagine an anarchist society raising funds to buy expensive and technological non-individual defensive weapons (ex. anti tank and anti aerial missiles) and fighting men fast enough to face an attack.

Maybe Orwell was right, and the industrialization of war (nuclear weapons and the like) signalled the end of decentralization and individual liberty.

IP Logged

Steve in VC

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - Aug 2nd, 2013 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Jul 22nd, 2013 at 9:08am:
What can Libertarians do for blacks when those blacks think wealth redistribution is the answer?  And it isn't racism that's holding them back, it's irresponsible parenting and poor education.  I think attaching money for education to the student, and school choice would be a good idea.  No more teacher unions or public schools.  As for getting them to parent responsibly, I don't see how government can make that happen.  It's a shame that the likes of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are too busy looking for racism to tackle this issue. 
If it was simple racism, then Asians would be poor as well.

The problem are:

1.  Politicians have convinced people that someone else is responsible for their situation.
2.  Educators have convinced people that someone else is responsible for their situation.
3.  The media has convinced people that someone else is responsible for their situation.
4.  Some people believe it.  Race really doesn't matter, there are more poor Whites than poor Blacks.  And, there are some poor Asians....

The big question is why some people don't believe it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Ever wonder why impoverished cities always vote the same way?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy