Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Education Voucher
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Education Voucher (Read 14801 times)
keauxbi
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Education Voucher
Reply #190 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
Quote:
And talking about government education is a joke.

That is the whole point of this thread titled "Education Voucher". 

Either start a new thread to discuss that which you want to discuss or quit posting comments.  If you don't know how to operate within a forum, learn how to do so.

Keauxbi
"Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization..."--Edward Abbey

IP Logged

Coopers
Libertarian Senior Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #191 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
@keauxbi

I agree, and I must apologise for being a part of it. I will start another thread.

IP Logged

keauxbi

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #192 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
Coopers wrote on Aug 28th, 2013 at 3:56pm:
@keauxbi

I agree, and I must apologise for being a part of it. I will start another thread.

It's easy to get caught up in the argument so don't blame yourself.  I was guilty several times myself.

Keauxbi
"Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization..."--Edward Abbey

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #193 - May 22nd, 2018 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
LibertariCAN wrote on Jul 25th, 2013 at 10:17am:
I've observed that, relative to this message board, I'm more of a soft core libertarian than most here. IRL, of course people that I speak to live think MY libertarianism is extreme, but I would love to see their reaction after spending an hour on this forum� Grin

Since we have a wide spectrum of intelligent libertarian minds on this forum, I want to know what the varieties of opinion have to say on SOME form of aide from the government for those that have less money than average:

For instance, in a 100% private school system, how do you feel about a voucher system for the poor? (We can get into specifics later, but I'm speaking on general principle right now).

Hard to imagine softer libertarianism than that of the majority of the posters on here.  They are almost entirely libertarians on one issue or another or else they think libertarianism means a strong government that allows us freedom to be libertines while freeing us from the requirement to work for what we want.

School vouchers are not a libertarian idea.  They are a band aid for the larger wound of the double evil of stealing money from people and building institutions of confinement into which children aged six to eighteen are forced.

Education that is publicly funded - through vouchers for "private schools" or through government school buildings - is only "needed" because parents are forced to send children to one of them.   Vouchers are only needed because government taxes parents so much that they cannot afford high quality schools.  Stop taking half of all the average persons earning in taxes for multiple layers of government and parents will be able to afford the best education their money can buy, not the education that government deems best for them.

I used to be burnsred . . .

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #194 - May 23rd, 2018 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on May 22nd, 2018 at 9:43pm:
Education that is publicly funded - through vouchers for "private schools" or through government school buildings - is only "needed" because parents are forced to send children to one of them.

Sweet Athena, you're right!  There actually are Compulsory Education Laws in some states. 

I wonder what is the penalty is for non-compliance.   Huh  Fines?  Incarceration?   A hot branding iron to the soles of the feet?  Shocked

And then what do they do to the parents?  Are they punished too?

Bizarre.

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #195 - May 23rd, 2018 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on May 23rd, 2018 at 12:23pm:
Sweet Athena, you're right!  There actually are Compulsory Education Laws in some states. 

I wonder what is the penalty is for non-compliance.   Huh  Fines?  Incarceration?   A hot branding iron to the soles of the feet?  Shocked

Some states?  I thought it was all states.  You sure about that?

Funny you ask about penalties.  They used to be pretty stiff, fines and often community service with the threat of jail to back it up.  But - of course - someone realized that fines hurt the poor, so now in Texas we are moving to providing "help" to people whose kids are no better at heeding the sound of an alarm clock than they are.  They used to come for the free breakfast and lunch, but since they are whole-grain, low-fat, flavorless, "Michelle Meals" now, they're not much of a draw.

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #196 - May 23rd, 2018 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
I just looked on this website:

https://www.ncsl.org/documents/educ/ECSCompulsoryAge.pdf

and apparently it is in every state.  The last state to join the conscripted education movement was in 1917, so it isn't a new idea.

Also in Texas compulsory attendance continues through the rest of the school year in which they turn eighteen but only if an eighteen year old voluntarily comes to school after their eighteenth birthday. 

Once one accepts the idea of slavery and theft as legitimate things for government to do, "for our own good," the possibility for creative thinking by the thief/slavers is endless.

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #197 - May 23rd, 2018 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on May 23rd, 2018 at 12:23pm:

Bizarre.

Wonderful to  see you two talking about social responsibility. Indeed, people can be changed for the better, albeit slowly.

And burnsred even suggests that the emphasis is and should be taken off of punishment!

Yes, of course parents should be encouraged and even forced to send their children to school. Or provide genuine home schooling.

But alas, then he goes and blows it by saying: Quote:
But - of course - someone realized that fines hurt the poor, so now in Texas we are moving to providing "help" to people whose kids are no better at heeding the sound of an alarm clock than they are.  They used to come for the free breakfast and lunch, but since they are whole-grain, low-fat, flavorless, "Michelle Meals" now, they're not much of a draw.

Which just shows he feels no social responsibility toward anybody and is more obsessed with political hate than concern for the children. Yup, he's going to make one fukked up shrink if he really is working for a doctorate.

Buy them all big macs and fries! Cheap, no prep work, and fits the lifestyle you both detest so much!

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #198 - May 23rd, 2018 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on May 23rd, 2018 at 12:30pm:
Some states?  I thought it was all states.  You sure about that?

Funny you ask about penalties.  They used to be pretty stiff, fines and often community service with the threat of jail to back it up. 

Yes  - all states have Compulsory Education Laws. Naturally, the severity of these laws vary from state to state. As do the penalties for non-compliance.

Some states just have the offender sign up for community service.  Some states have fines ranging from $20 to $500.  Some states force the parent(s) to attend "counselling" sessions.

In Michigan, an outlaw parent can be sentenced for two to NINETY DAYS in Jail!!    Shocked    Shocked

This is what happens when government becomes too big - lawmakers think up Draconian Laws.   California has the most massive/powerful state gov't in the nation, so naturally, we get a lot of bad laws from Sacramento.

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #199 - May 23rd, 2018 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on May 23rd, 2018 at 1:05pm:
In Michigan, an outlaw parent can be sentenced for two to NINETY DAYS in Jail!!    Shocked    Shocked

Or no jail time. You won't see the 'social responsibility' in the wide difference in the length of jail time.

I do, because I see an obvious attempt to not jail parents. The emphasis is on something else that you're not aware of.

Burnsred can't forsake his profession completely, at least on speaking about the intent. He can slowly and gently lead you to water though.

But he'll still replace nutricious meals with big macs and fries because of his politics that control him.

Great conversation! This is how change is slowly brought about on a libertarian forum that's made up of dogmatic and propagandized people.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Education Voucher
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy