Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Shrinking Detroit to save the city
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Shrinking Detroit to save the city (Read 1105 times)
keauxbi
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Shrinking Detroit to save the city
Jul 26th, 2013 at 1:05am
Print Post  
With the recent bankruptcy filing I've begun thinking that if I were der fuhrer of Motown, what would I do different to save the city from economic collapse. Considering it is a metropolitan area that no one wants to work or live in, how do you turn the tide of decay and waste in a liberal haven?

In a private enterprise, when business shrinks you can shrink you business model accordingly to maintain profitability and long term sustainability. Areas of your business that are no longer feasible can be shuttered and you can cater to your core, profitable customer base.

With a city, or any government organization, you can not simply or easily shrink the business model. 38% of Detroit's operating costs go directly to "legacy" costs, pensions and health insurance plans for retirees.

Currently, Detroit is a city of 700,000 residents and covers some 143 square miles. With so much of the city in disrepair- only 1/3 of ambulances are drivable, police response times average 58 minutes, 40% of the street lights don't work- it made me wonder, how large of a city could you operate on 62%?

That question led to another, would it be easier for Detroit to shrink in population/size in order to have a future?

Theoretically, Detroit could begin to un-incorporate large areas that are for all intents and purposes uninhabited or of which the residents are not paying property taxes. By removing these areas that the city can not afford to provide services for, Detroit could focus on the areas that it can afford.

Let's say you have a neighborhood called Hooverville. Hooverville is only 10% inhabited and the city is not receiving any property taxes at all. Most of the land in Hooverville has in fact been foreclosed upon by the city for failure to pay property taxes. With my theory, Detroit could either transfer jurisdiction of Hooverville to a neighboring suburb, Hooverville could become its own town (creating a city council, police department, etc) or Hooverville could just become an un-incorporated area of Wayne County Michigan.

By ejecting enough "Hoovervilles" Detroit would be able to pare itself down to a city that can be well managed on 62% of its current budget.

Of course there are other much larger problems with the city government that need to be addressed if Detroit is to ever again be prosperous.  I just see this as a possible part of a larger broad based scheme.

Keauxbi
"Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization..."--Edward Abbey

IP Logged

Crystallas

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Shrinking Detroit to save the city
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 3:33am
Print Post  
I don't see a purpose to "save" a city. Even if it were a city that I called my home.

People go where they are wanted or needed. People lay roots where they like it the best(or where they find it best suitable to their current situation). The mix of all types of residents are the ones responsible. They need to decide on what they want, where to go from here. I have no business in telling Detroit what to do, or how to save itself. The people of Detroit have to bare that responsibility. The people of Detroit have to maintain what is theirs.

IP Logged

The Free Man
Libertarian Senior Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 5:23am
Print Post  
The way government is ran blows my mind. I mean what the hell! Do they even know what a budget is? What ever happened to living within your means? The solution to this is simple: Make due with the money you have. But screw common sense.

IP Logged

LibertariCAN

Freedom Forever

Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 9:28am
Print Post  
The Free Man wrote on Jul 26th, 2013 at 5:23am:
The way government is ran blows my mind. I mean what the hell! Do they even know what a budget is? What ever happened to living within your means? The solution to this is simple: Make due with the money you have. But screw common sense.

Bah. Appeals to common sense are worthless.

No matter, re-elect Calvin Coolidge!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Shrinking Detroit to save the city
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy