Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Best arguments and reading material for proselytizing
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Best arguments and reading material for proselytizing (Read 596 times)
Bertu
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Best arguments and reading material for proselytizing
Jul 31st, 2013 at 12:56am
Print Post  
I'm sorry if this has been discussed already.

Latin American people is in general very statist oriented, and libertarian minded people is very scarce. Even strong defenders of capitalism concede too much to the role of the state IMHO.

I'm very interested in initiating as moch people as possible to libertarian ideas.

Given that the whole package is too shocking to present at once, and this risks losing the interest of my educational efforts, I'd like to have your help idetifying the best strategies and arguments to get people interested and open minded, and with luck, wanting to know more (and here comes the introductory reading materials part).

I found a "Mises Chile" web site, but it looks abandoned.

Thank you.

IP Logged

Crystallas
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Best arguments and reading material for proselytizing
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2013 at 6:22am
Print Post  
What subject? Libertarianism is a very wide subject of itself. I should also note, libertarianism doesn't advocate capitalism. Most libertarians, however, do advocate capitalism. It's best not to confuse ideology and market structure. If we took a poll of all libertarians, and nearly all libertarians liked beef steak, that doesn't mean that steak is libertarian by an ideological standpoint. Smiley Different universe of discourse.

IP Logged

Coopers
Libertarian Senior Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2013 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
I'm going to sound a lot like Stefan Molyneux here, but I think talking about morality and principles provides the best approach. Whenever anyone advocates a government program, then demonstrate how that program cannot possibly function without the use of violence.

For example, if they advocate the welfare state for aiding the poor, then point out that what the welfare state really involves is stealing money from people to give to others. If anyone resists, then the guns eventually come out. In more civilised societies they merely come out a bit later.

IP Logged

keauxbi
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2013 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
Coopers wrote on Jul 31st, 2013 at 6:01pm:
I'm going to sound a lot like Stefan Molyneux here, but I think talking about morality and principles provides the best approach. Whenever anyone advocates a government program, then demonstrate how that program cannot possibly function without the use of violence.

For example, if they advocate the welfare state for aiding the poor, then point out that what the welfare state really involves is stealing money from people to give to others. If anyone resists, then the guns eventually come out. In more civilised societies they merely come out a bit later.

Just to dovetail the argument, whenever discussing income taxes I always link them inevitably to slavery.  If taking 100% of someone's labor without compensation is unequivocally slavery, then what about taking 50% of someone's labor or 25% or 10%?  To be able to spend you must first tax, to tax you must enslave.  If you don't enslave your citizens now through high taxation, then you enslave their progeny.

Keauxbi
"Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization..."--Edward Abbey

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Best arguments and reading material for proselytizing
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy