Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Is America shifting towards Libertarianism?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Is America shifting towards Libertarianism? (Read 1344 times)
keauxbi
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Is America shifting towards Libertarianism?
Reply #10 - Aug 13th, 2013 at 1:19am
Print Post  
Ever chance I get, I mention to everyone that will hear.  The ills of government, the growing police state, our loss of liberty, etc.  Without fail, libertarianism ends up being one step too far.  Either conservatives want to piecemeal the end of welfare or liberals think corporations will take over everything.

Yeah, I'll keep doing what I'm doing and maybe we can make some progress.

Then again I thought the GOP would finally nominate an actual conservative/libertarian and I couldn't fathom how the big government fascist could be reelected.

To answer your question, I'll say maybe.

Keauxbi
"Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization..."--Edward Abbey

IP Logged

LibertariCAN

Freedom Forever

Reply #11 - Aug 13th, 2013 at 10:33am
Print Post  
Unbiased America wrote on Aug 12th, 2013 at 8:26pm:
Just because people aren't going from conservatism directly to anarchy, doesn't mean they're not becoming more libertarian, which was the point of the original post.

Libertarianism is one of the most varied ideologies, after all, kind of by definition.  There will never be an acceptance of full anarchy, but the idea of smaller government is more popular now than in many generations.  If ever there was an opportune time to educate and push full-on libertarianism, it's now.

You're talking about two different things.

Firstly, libertarians, generally speaking, don't want to see anyone go from conservatism directly to anarchy; I don't know what you're on about when you talk like that. Nobody is demanding the full acceptance of anarchy.

Secondly, the time for knowledge and education is always here.

IP Logged

LibertariCAN

Freedom Forever

Reply #12 - Aug 13th, 2013 at 10:35am
Print Post  
Unbiased America wrote on Aug 12th, 2013 at 9:31pm:
Any excuse for inaction, eh?  Well, I don't see it that way.  NOW is the time spread the message, while people are at least trending in the right direction.

I want you to remember this moment.  Because, when the economy collapses, which it will, there is going to be a struggle between those who say there wasn't enough government, and those who say government was the problem.

THAT'S the battle we should be fighting right now.  Making as many people as possible understand that government is creating the coming collapse.  We don't need to indoctrinate purist libertarians, just plant the seed and nudge people in the right direction.

So you can wallow in your defeatism, or you can man up and do your part.  Because, trust me, we're gonna need every gifted soul to win this battle.

Once again, you're talking about two different things.

In my country, I am fighting for the spread of knowledge and the education of libertarian ideals. No one is making excuses for inaction, we simply question your original premise which stated that people are becoming more libertarian; that remains to be seen.

We can all still believe in something and take action without having blind faith in something that may very well not be true.

IP Logged

Unbiased America

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Aug 13th, 2013 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
LibertariCAN wrote on Aug 13th, 2013 at 10:35am:
Once again, you're talking about two different things.

In my country, I am fighting for the spread of knowledge and the education of libertarian ideals. No one is making excuses for inaction, we simply question your original premise which stated that people are becoming more libertarian; that remains to be seen.

We can all still believe in something and take action without having blind faith in something that may very well not be true.

Yeah, in re-reading my diatribe, it came across as preachy.  Didn't mean it to be that way.  I'm just trying to convey the sense of urgency I feel when it comes to the approaching ideological war.  The next economic recession will be disastrous.  Worse than anything before it.  And both sides will use it to forward their agenda of a truly fundamental American shift.  One side will blame corporations, and push nothing less than full nationalization of our economy.  The other will rightly blame government, and push deregulation and privatization.  The public will decide the outcome.

The battle for their hearts and minds has to be fought now, with urgency, and must persuade Dems AND Repubs.  We can't just preach to the choir.

My Facebook page, Unbiased America, purposefully tries to draw in liberals by conceding minor issues to them, and playing up the common social ground we share.  But I spend most of my time making the case against government.  Done in a non-antagonizing way, it's not hard to sell libertarianism.

IP Logged

LibertariCAN

Freedom Forever

Reply #14 - Aug 13th, 2013 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
Unbiased America wrote on Aug 13th, 2013 at 6:02pm:
Yeah, in re-reading my diatribe, it came across as preachy.  Didn't mean it to be that way.  I'm just trying to convey the sense of urgency I feel when it comes to the approaching ideological war.  The next economic recession will be disastrous.  Worse than anything before it.  And both sides will use it to forward their agenda of a truly fundamental American shift.  One side will blame corporations, and push nothing less than full nationalization of our economy.  The other will rightly blame government, and push deregulation and privatization.  The public will decide the outcome.

The battle for their hearts and minds has to be fought now, with urgency, and must persuade Dems AND Repubs.  We can't just preach to the choir.

My Facebook page, Unbiased America, purposefully tries to draw in liberals by conceding minor issues to them, and playing up the common social ground we share.  But I spend most of my time making the case against government.  Done in a non-antagonizing way, it's not hard to sell libertarianism.

I checked out your paged, and I "Liked" it. Your most recent post seems more sensible.

There are much more topics on this forum you can weigh in on, not to mention starting your own. Don't just disappear on us after preaching a bit!  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Is America shifting towards Libertarianism?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy