Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Serial child molester faces light sentence if convicted
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Serial child molester faces light sentence if convicted (Read 591 times)
keauxbi
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Serial child molester faces light sentence if convicted
Aug 17th, 2013 at 9:50am
Print Post  
Quote:
Sixteen sex charges filed against Centennial teacher...could face up to 13 years in state prison.
Edited:
felony n. 1) a crime sufficiently serious to be punishable by death or a term in state or federal prison, as distinguished from a misdemeanor which is only punishable by confinement to county or local jail and/or a fine. 2) a crime carrying a minimum term of one year or more in state prison,

If there are 16 felony charges against this teacher, shouldn't they be facing at least 16 years in prison?

Will the gender of the attacker in any way alter your perception of the case?

http://blog.pe.com/2013/08/13/corona-sixteen-sex-charges-filed-in-teacher-case/
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2013 at 12:13pm by keauxbi »  

Keauxbi
"Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization..."--Edward Abbey

IP Logged

LibertariCAN

Freedom Forever

Re: Serial child molester faces light sentence if convicted
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2013 at 11:20am
Print Post  
keauxbi wrote on Aug 17th, 2013 at 9:50am:
If there are 16 felony charges against this teacher, shouldn't they be facing at least 16 years in prison?

Will the gender of the attacker in any way alter your perception of the case?

http://blog.pe.com/2013/08/13/corona-sixteen-sex-charges-filed-in-teacher-case/

I believe entirely that the gender of the attacker alters the perception of the case.

IP Logged

Crystallas

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2013 at 11:40am
Print Post  
I need to catch a flight, so my response will be short.

But I see many flaws in these cases and the consistency of the law. Not just at the punishment portion. If anything, I think the punishment portion might be the big distraction.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2013 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
13 years in jail seems rather harsh for sex that was consensual.

IP Logged

Liberalterian

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2013 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Aug 17th, 2013 at 3:30pm:
13 years in jail seems rather harsh for sex that was consensual.

If someone is underage then it is, according to the law, NEVER consensual.

Fact is, if a male teacher had "consensual" sex with underage girls (let's say they are 14 and 15) he would get considerably more jailtime (and rightly so!)

Remember, it is NOT consensual when an older authority figure has sex with underage minors. The older one could easily manipulate younger people. Is it really consensual if they are manipulated into the acts? Let's say the teacher says "you will like this" after they have gained the trust of the child. They thus "consent" because they trust the older figure. Is this really consensual?

And even if you think it IS consensual, the fact is that the law disagrees with you.

IP Logged

keauxbi

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2013 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
I was thinking that facing 16 felony counts (each carrying a legal minimum of 1 year) then 13 years sounds kinda light.  If you're going to charge someone with 16 felony counts related to numerous instances of sexual contact with a minor then they should face 16 years as a minimum unless a judge (once a guilty verdict has been established) decides to reduce the sentence.

Quote:
And even if you think it IS consensual, the fact is that the law disagrees with you.

I second that.

Keauxbi
"Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization..."--Edward Abbey

IP Logged

Liberalterian

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Aug 17th, 2013 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
keauxbi wrote on Aug 17th, 2013 at 3:41pm:
I was thinking that facing 16 felony counts (each carrying a legal minimum of 1 year) then 13 years sounds kinda light. If you're going to charge someone with 16 felony counts related to numerous instances of sexual contact with a minor then they should face 16 years as a minimum unless a judge (once a guilty verdict has been established) decides to reduce the sentence.

Agreed, I guess they could also get it slightly shortened due to good behavior in prison or signs of genuine change of behavior. But the initial sentence should definitely be at least 16 years from a legal standpoint.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Serial child molester faces light sentence if convicted
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy