Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Libertarians and conspiracy theories
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Libertarians and conspiracy theories (Read 6820 times)
Coopers
Libertarian Senior Member

Libertarian's Forum

Libertarians and conspiracy theories
Nov 18th, 2013 at 7:05am
Print Post  
If there is one thing that can make me somewhat embarrassed to be a libertarian, it is that far too many libertarians buy into ridiculous conspiracy theories. While most on this forum seem reasonably sensible, we have seen a few topics/posts supporting the controlled demolition theory and other such nonsense.

I would just like to provide an example from an Australian libertarian who regularly posts in libertarian Facebook groups. (The post can be found in this group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/auslibertarianfreetalk/ )

Quote:
I was a fierce anti-smoking obsessive for many many years. I've now completely reversed my position and I've decided to take up smoking.

If the eugenicist government is so fascist about banning tobacco, there must be something really good about it. I suspect it's partly the anti-radiation properties that were identified in studies decades ago.

I'm only going to smoke organic tobacco though, because the other stuff is chemical-laden.

I bought myself a pack of Manitou Virginia Green Cigarettes.

Does it actually take much skill? Any tips?

I find this mentality not only mind-bogglingly illogical and paranoid, but also very dangerous. It can be broken down in this syllogism:

A. Government tells us not to do things that are good for us.

B. Government tells us not to smoke.

C. Therefore, smoking is good and I should take up smoking.

For some libertarians to think like this is actually quite frightening. While I see government as inherently evil, I do not see this as a reason  to instantly assume that everything the government says is not true. What's worse is we have nutjobs like Alex Jones telling parents not to vaccinate their children (because it turns them into reptiles or something), and people actually listen to him.

Am I right to be paranoid about this paranoia?

IP Logged

Norwegian Libertarian
Ex Member

Re: Libertarians and conspiracy theories
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 11:57am
Print Post  

IP Logged

keauxbi
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
Or in other words, should we be worried that people are gullible and easily duped?

I think so long as people who tend to believe conspiracy theories have an easy answer to a complex problem, they will believe it no matter how far fetched.  For instance, the Alex Jones crowd can't understand the extreme complexity that makes up modern society and it must be the Bilderbergs that are controlling society behind close doors.

Keauxbi
"Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization..."--Edward Abbey

IP Logged

Jerry
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
I wonder if this nutcase knows that the government treats water with chlorine to kill bacteria from animal and human feces.....ergo eating raw sewage might be good for you?

IP Logged

Land of Freedom
Libertarian's Forum Administrator

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
This week there will be talk of all the JFK conspiracies. All ideologies have their conspiracies, not sure if libertarians have more than others.

The leftist's conspiracy theories are that somehow companies, businesses, are out to harm their customers. Which makes little common sense but liberals will believe it about every time.

LibertariansForum.com The LF Administrator.
IP Logged

Jerry
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
Not entirely correct. The only propose of a business is to turn a profit. Those that don't make money but provide some service or product to others are called charities. The issue of harm is only a factor in the sense of the profit made vs. the cost incurred by doing harm.

IP Logged

Norwegian Libertarian
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Quote:
The only propose of a business is to turn a profit.   

"It is precisely the necessity of making profits and avoiding losses that gives to the consumers a firm hold over the entrepreneurs and forces them to comply with the wishes of the people."
- Ludwig von Mises

Quote:
The issue of harm is only a factor in the sense of the profit made vs. the cost incurred by doing harm.

IP Logged

Land of Freedom
Libertarian's Forum Administrator

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Not entirely correct. The only propose of a business is to turn a profit. Those that don't make money but provide some service or product to others are called charities. The issue of harm is only a factor in the sense of the profit made vs. the cost incurred by doing harm.

Harm by who and to whom?

LibertariansForum.com The LF Administrator.
IP Logged

LibertariCAN
Libertarian Freedom Member

Freedom Forever

Reply #8 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
Quote:
"It is precisely the necessity of making profits and avoiding losses that gives to the consumers a firm hold over the entrepreneurs and forces them to comply with the wishes of the people."
- Ludwig von Mises

That's actually another huge problem (not to derail the thread). People can't understand the difference at times between actions/practicalities, and principles.

Or in that case with Milton, the literal price of something vs. the principle of the matter.

IP Logged

Jerry
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Land of Freedom wrote on Nov 18th, 2013 at 2:41pm:
Harm by who and to whom?

I don't understand your question.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Libertarians and conspiracy theories
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy