Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Walter Block on Homesteading: The Doughnut
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Walter Block on Homesteading: The Doughnut (Read 892 times)
LibertariCAN
Libertarian Freedom Member

Freedom Forever

Walter Block on Homesteading: The Doughnut
Dec 13th, 2013 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
At 15:40 Walter Block uses owning land in a doughnut shape as an example of homesteading that is illegitimate because you are effectively controlling land that you do not own. See his logic in the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLqEk3BKoiQ

I agree with this. But it brought me to another logical concept: The Reverse Doughnut

Say i own land in the middle of the doughnut, and someone purchases or claims ownership of the land around the doughnut. The person in the middle has no way out, essentially. I think I have an answer to this, but I am curious as to know what your answers would be to this. The part of the video I am talking about is like a minute, so please watch. It's at 15:40, as I said.

IP Logged

Josh

Stop looking at me like
that, you pervert.

Re: Walter Block on Homesteading: The Doughnut
Reply #1 - Dec 13th, 2013 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
There would be an easement in the property. Block just brought it up in the answer.

I like big butts and I cannot lie.

IP Logged

Coopers
Libertarian Senior Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Dec 13th, 2013 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
If no one could legitimately homestead the surrounding doughnut, then there would be no owned land which could box the person in.

IP Logged

LibertariCAN

Freedom Forever

Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2013 at 12:59am
Print Post  
Coopers wrote on Dec 13th, 2013 at 12:54pm:
If no one could legitimately homestead the surrounding doughnut, then there would be no owned land which could box the person in.

I'm saying let's say that the middle is owned prior to to the person making their property in a circle formation. Walter proposed a situation where you own the property around the middle area and no one owns the middle area, therefore you are controlling an area that no one owns and blocking other homesteaders.

So does this same logic apply when you surround someone, yet the property is owned?

IP Logged

Bourgeois

Counterrevolutionary
, Principle Foe of Dennis

Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2013 at 1:08am
Print Post  
If you had demonstrated a way to get in and out of your "doughnut hole," prior to the homesteading of the doughnuteer, then you would obviously retain the property right to do so.  (As the means of entering/exiting would be retained as yours' or a third party's property, such as a road). If you magically homesteaded the doughnut hole without ever having gone in or out, then you could legitimately be boxed in.

"The government is a greedy piglet that suckles on a taxpayer's teet until they have sore, chapped nipples."

IP Logged

Shiva_TD

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Dec 20th, 2013 at 8:31am
Print Post  
As noted the "easement laws" exist for a purpose to prevent this from happening so it's not an issue.

Of course this goes back to my thread that addresses the paradox of the settler and the nomad that both have the identical right to the use of the land. Neither can actually own the land as "land is not a product of the labor of the person" but limited rights related to the use of the land can and must exist but a "right" cannot infringe upon the "rights" of another person.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Walter Block on Homesteading: The Doughnut
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy