Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › What do you think of the Duck Dynasty issue ?
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) What do you think of the Duck Dynasty issue ? (Read 2215 times)
Land of Freedom
Libertarian's Forum Administrator

Libertarian's Forum

What do you think of the Duck Dynasty issue ?
Dec 21st, 2013 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
Will they lose viewers or gain? How about the network?

LibertariansForum.com The LF Administrator.
IP Logged

Josh
Libertarian Freedom Member

Stop looking at me like
that, you pervert.

Re: What do you think of the Duck Dynasty issue ?
Reply #1 - Dec 21st, 2013 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
I don't get how a story like this gets so much attention. Edward Snowden essentially revealed that 1984 is reality but more people know Phil Robertson's name.

I like big butts and I cannot lie.

IP Logged

Crystallas

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Dec 22nd, 2013 at 12:44am
Print Post  
It shows how the world has shifted its attention from contracts and consent, to hiding behind government or trying to use the name of a 'right' to justify your cause.

The double standards aren't new, and for the most part, Americans do not know what the word racist means. If you point out that a woman is walking down the street, you're sexist. If you point out that the person is black, you're racist. And funny enough, those who identify themselves as jewish, have no skin color in their own words. They aren't black, white, yellow, tan, brown, anything(according to them.) Interesting special treatment. And because I said these things, I am racist, sexist, and an antisemite.

So kids, if you're paying attention, you can call someone a racist, a sexist, really anything that claims some form of superiority in terms, and you'll be the politically correct watchdog champion of the world.

IP Logged

zophos

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Dec 22nd, 2013 at 1:39am
Print Post  
I didn't know Duck Dynasty existed until this "scandal" (that's not quite accurate - I saw a Chia Pet a few weeks back that I now realize was Phil Robertson's head).

So in that sense, the show has gained exposure, and Robertson's defenders will become even more devoted to the show. Which is good for both Robertson and A&E, ironically. As a result, even if the show is cancelled, there might still be a lot of money to be made by the Robertsons and the network in terms of syndication, merchandise, spin-offs, etc.

What of Robertson's actual remarks? I'm uncomfortable that it's become unacceptable to have traditional views, and that even the most minor opinion on sexuality needs to be completely 'pro-LGBT'. I tend to oppose social expectations of conformity.

Crystallas complains about our culture's over-sensitivity to race. But I can understand why race is a touchy subject in America, even if I think the race-card gets overplayed occasionally. However I don't like that LGBT activists try to elevate homophobia to the same level as racism.

Virulent, dangerous homophobia (like the kind that motivated Matthew Shepard's killers, for example) is certainly totally wrong. But that's not at all the kind of view Robertson expressed. Being a Christian who sees homosexuality as a sin is NOT the same as being racist.

PS - if Al Sharpton is the King of Black People (according to South Park), who is the King Queen of the Gays? Perez Hilton, maybe? Are we going to require Phil repent by kissing Hilton's ass (or perhaps doing something more.....?)

Bread and Circuses

IP Logged

Bourgeois

Counterrevolutionary
, Principle Foe of Dennis

Reply #4 - Dec 22nd, 2013 at 5:57am
Print Post  
Zophos -- What's wrong with being racist?

"The government is a greedy piglet that suckles on a taxpayer's teet until they have sore, chapped nipples."

IP Logged

Shiva_TD

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Dec 22nd, 2013 at 6:22am
Print Post  
Bourgeois wrote on Dec 22nd, 2013 at 5:57am:
Zophos -- What's wrong with being racist?

That's sort of an "asbestos" question.

Asbestos was formerly used in home construction and so long as a person doesn't do anything to disturb it then it's safe to be around. On the other hand if a person was to purchase a home with asbestos and do a renovation that involves demolition then the asbestos dust can be highly harmful. To address this we have a "disclosure" law where if a person selling a home knows that it contains asbestos then they are required to inform the buyer of that fact.

A racist is very much like asbestos in that inherently they cause no harm against another person but they can by violating another person's Right of Equality by invidious discrimination. Perhaps we need a "disclosure" law for racists so, assuming they know they're a racist, that they inform all of those they interact with in society that they're a racist.

That would provide "informed consent" by those involved in dealing with them and we certainly do embrace a belief in "informed consent" in our interactions between people. For a "racist" to not inform others of that fact would be a nefarious act as they would be intentionally deceptive. It's not like it's something they should be ashamed of, is it?

Sound fair?

IP Logged

Josh

Stop looking at me like
that, you pervert.

Reply #6 - Dec 22nd, 2013 at 9:57am
Print Post  
Shiva_TD wrote on Dec 22nd, 2013 at 6:22am:

Asbestos was formerly used in home construction and so long as a person doesn't do anything to disturb it then it's safe to be around. On the other hand if a person was to purchase a home with asbestos and do a renovation that involves demolition then the asbestos dust can be highly harmful. To address this we have a "disclosure" law where if a person selling a home knows that it contains asbestos then they are required to inform the buyer of that fact.

A racist is very much like asbestos in that inherently they cause no harm against another person but they can by violating another person's Right of Equality by invidious discrimination. Perhaps we need a "disclosure" law for racists so, assuming they know they're a racist, that they inform all of those they interact with in society that they're a racist.

That would provide "informed consent" by those involved in dealing with them and we certainly do embrace a belief in "informed consent" in our interactions between people. For a "racist" to not inform others of that fact would be a nefarious act as they would be intentionally deceptive. It's not like it's something they should be ashamed of, is it?

Sound fair?

Yeah, and you should inform people that you're a statist before opening your mouth.

I like big butts and I cannot lie.

IP Logged

Norwegian Libertarian
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Dec 22nd, 2013 at 10:58am
Print Post  
Your "rights", Shiva, are man-made concepts that has no meaning to me.

IP Logged

Liberalterian

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Dec 22nd, 2013 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Your "rights", Shiva, are man-made concepts that has no meaning to me.

If you want to be that literal about it then property rights are technically a man-made concept. Try telling a lion about property rights...

IP Logged

Bourgeois

Counterrevolutionary
, Principle Foe of Dennis

Reply #9 - Dec 22nd, 2013 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Shiva_TD wrote on Dec 22nd, 2013 at 6:22am:

Sound fair?

lolz @ right of equality

"The government is a greedy piglet that suckles on a taxpayer's teet until they have sore, chapped nipples."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › What do you think of the Duck Dynasty issue ?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy