Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › How do you find other like-minded libertarians in your life?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic How do you find other like-minded libertarians in your life? (Read 1083 times)
ChineseStudent
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

How do you find other like-minded libertarians in your life?
Dec 27th, 2013 at 6:48am
Print Post  
Well, as the title of the thread suggest, I can use some recommendations and advice on how to find actual people around myself in real life that shares similar political values.

While the Internet is good at providing forums such as these, sometime, I just feel like I will want... you know, more. It will be great to meet some actual people in real life that one can talk to about politics and one day become friends with.

So far, I have attempted to either join or start my own libertarian student organization, but that didn't work. Then I tried going to libertarian conferences, and while it is nice to meet other like minded people, my experience is that they tend to be too short (2-3 days) for people to actually know each other well enough to stay in touch, let alone become friends. I tried starting a libertarian group on Meetup.com, but no one attended.

So as I am sure you might be able to tell, I am desperate right now  Sad. Does anyone have some good suggestions on how to find like minded people in the community that I live in?

IP Logged

Coopers
Libertarian Senior Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: How do you find other like-minded libertarians in your life?
Reply #1 - Dec 27th, 2013 at 7:54am
Print Post  
Facebook groups. Also try meetup.com

I'm sure there will be a few libertarian groups in Scotland.

IP Logged

ChineseStudent
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Dec 27th, 2013 at 8:23am
Print Post  
Coopers wrote on Dec 27th, 2013 at 7:54am:
Facebook groups. Also try meetup.com

I'm sure there will be a few libertarian groups in Scotland.

Thanks for your suggestion. However, I have already tried that. I couldn't find a group on Facebook, and the only thing on meetup.com for Aberdeen are Yoga societies and lady's nights out.

Heck, I am in Hong Kong right now for the winter break, and I am desperately trying to find someone that I can meet while I am in town. When I tried to search for 'Hong Kong libertarian' on Google, all I could find were anti-libertarian articles written in the US. As of right now, I have set up a libertarian social event in a coffee shop that will take place in two days, but so far, I haven't gotten any response. I will be going to the coffee shop anyway just for symbolic sake. But I have a strong feeling that I will end up sitting there alone in a corner trying to look comfortable examining a potted plant while resisting the urge to weep.

IP Logged

Coopers
Libertarian Senior Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Dec 27th, 2013 at 8:45am
Print Post  
https://www.facebook.com/groups/scottishlibertarians/?fref=ts

Not sure if they meet up around Aberdeen but it might be worth connecting with some of the members to find out.

IP Logged

Shiva_TD
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Dec 27th, 2013 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
This is a tough question as most of the world doesn't believe in libertarianism as it is predominately an American political ideology (not to dismiss those non-Americans that are member of this forum).

Instead of searching for "libertarian" I used a search for "classical liberal" which is more commonly used to express libertarian political ideology.  I found 21 groups worldwide on Meetup using that search criteria.

http://classical-liberal.meetup.com/

As can be seen by the link most are in the US.

Libertarian politcal ideology was best represented by the development of "classical liberalism" in the United States during the 19th Century which is why I selected that search criteria. It is not a perfect match but is much more common and the two are very closely related.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › How do you find other like-minded libertarians in your life?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy