Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Bill Of Rights Activism
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Bill Of Rights Activism (Read 2314 times)
JCKustom13
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Bill Of Rights Activism
Feb 23rd, 2014 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
I am sure many of you have seen the Mark Dice video where he asked different college students if they know the Bill of Rights. Of course none of them did.
While, this shows how knowledgeable people are, Mark didn't hand out any copies of the Bill of Rights to these kids so they could learn them. (He may not have thought of it).

I have an idea, an activist Idea to get people to learn the Bill of Rights. Print out copies of it, hand them out to people and leave them around town!
Leave the copies at bus stops, stick it to walls of populated areas (much like how people stuck Don't Thread of Me posters before the revolution). Hand them out around college campus' and make sure the bill of rights is every where.

This plan is cheap, simple and may get people to learn their rights. Most people may just not even give it a second glance or say "TL;DR" but perhaps 10% of people will be inspired and learn their rights. Better then nothing right?

Even easier post copies of the Bill of rights on Facebook and on different forums you frequent. (Perhaps put a quote about it in your sig).

Here is a good copy to use:
http://www.tucsonsentinel.com/files/entryimages/121512-bill-of-rights2.jpg

IP Logged

Incite Panic

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Bill Of Rights Activism
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
I'd take a bumper sticker with all ten.

I'd really like for more folks to learn the intention of those rights. Such as them being negative rights (stuff the state shouldn't do).

I'd also care for more stuff the state shouldn't do. Like re-enumerating the limited powers of the branches of government. For example; only the legislative branch may create legislation not individual agencies, or leaders of said agencies. The presidents powers are that of veto, head of the legislature, and foreign emissary and nothing more - no legislating etc, et al.

I would also like lots more suits against the government in the name of the Bill of Rights.

Kind regards:

Individualism Rocks!

IP Logged

Nate
Libertarian Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Mar 22nd, 2014 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
I don't think it's really 'embarrassing' that people don't know them. They're rationally ignorant, since a lot don't even apply. How often do you REALLY have to invoke your right to not have soldiers quartered in your home?

I do think people should know about the 4th and 5th Amendment, though. Innocent citizens very often have to invoke those rights. But if someone doesn't know that they have the right to a speedy and fair trial? That's fine, they've already got an attorney and refused to talk and refused searches.

IP Logged

Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Mar 23rd, 2014 at 7:46am
Print Post  
I happen to agree with those of the Founding era who opposed a bill of rights, arguing that inclusion of such a list would be used to imply that no other rights but those listed were in fact possessed by the People.
Just such arguments are now common in Supreme Court opinions, where they just can't find some specific right listed, so conclude we don't have it.
They forget about the 9th and 10th Amendments, which I think we would be much better off educating people about than the Bill of Rights as a whole.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Shiva_TD

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Mar 23rd, 2014 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Mar 23rd, 2014 at 7:46am:
I happen to agree with those of the Founding era who opposed a bill of rights, arguing that inclusion of such a list would be used to imply that no other rights but those listed were in fact possessed by the People.
Just such arguments are now common in Supreme Court opinions, where they just can't find some specific right listed, so conclude we don't have it.
They forget about the 9th and 10th Amendments, which I think we would be much better off educating people about than the Bill of Rights as a whole.

We should remember that Madison was one of the heads of the Federalists that initially argued against a "bill of rights" and even he was finally convinced by the anti-federalists of the need for the Bill of Rights. Madison authored all ten of the Bill of Rights.

I do appreciate that the 9th Amendment was mentioned in this post because it establishes that all of our Inalienable Rights are protected even if they aren't enumerated. While i know of no specific Supreme Court decision that relied exclusively on the 9th Amendment I've read numerous decisions that reference. Perhaps the most well known is Roe v Wade where the Supreme Court referred to the "unenumerated" Rights of the Woman in declaring that laws prohibiting abortion were a violation of her Rights. Ultimately it referenced the 14th Amendment that was an amendment passed because the "unenumerated Rights of the Person" protected by the 9th Amendment were being violated.

In fact if we address just those amendments that address the Rights of the Person then all of them address cases where the unenumerated Rights of the Person that are protected by the 9th Amendment were being violated.

Our educations systems are woefully inadequate in addressing our Inalienable Rights that are protected by the 9th Amendment. An understanding of the Inalienable Rights of the Person is necessary to understand what government can do (e.g. impose limitations upon our Freedom to exercise out Inalienable Rights based upon compelling arguments but only to the least extent possible to statisfy the conditions of the compelling argument) and what we can do as a person (our actions can only be based upon our Inalienable Rights).

What is interesting is that on this forum I'm the foremost advocate of the Inalienable Rights of the Person and I'm the one pointing out when the are violated by invidious discrimination, when they are violated by coercion in our economic system, and even that our understanding of "ownership" of land and natural resourses is a violation of the Inalienable Rights of the Person.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Mar 24th, 2014 at 8:01am
Print Post  
Shiva_TD wrote on Mar 23rd, 2014 at 5:12pm:
What is interesting is that on this forum I'm the foremost advocate of the Inalienable Rights of the Person and I'm the one pointing out when the are violated by invidious discrimination, when they are violated by coercion in our economic system, and even that our understanding of "ownership" of land and natural resourses is a violation of the Inalienable Rights of the Person.

Government is prohibited from discriminating. That's the essence of equality under the law.

What coercion in our economic system are you talking about? What I see is government interference and coercion destroying our economic liberty.

Private property is essential to liberty.
I agree, government claimed 'ownership' of property, purportedly being ownership by the people as a whole, is a violation of our rights. If everyone owns something, in fact nobody owns it, except the Sovereign.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Shiva_TD

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Mar 24th, 2014 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Mar 24th, 2014 at 8:01am:
Government is prohibited from discriminating. That's the essence of equality under the law.

What coercion in our economic system are you talking about? What I see is government interference and coercion destroying our economic liberty.

Private property is essential to liberty.
I agree, government claimed 'ownership' of property, purportedly being ownership by the people as a whole, is a violation of our rights. If everyone owns something, in fact nobody owns it, except the Sovereign.

That isn't what the 14th Amendment states. What it does state is:

Quote:
nor shall any State..... deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

- See more at: http://constitution.findlaw.com/amendment14/amendment.html#sthash.W06bHXAY.dpuf

It doesn't matter what the source of the violation of the Individual's Inalienable rights are. The "necessity" for equal protection can be caused "by the government" or "by the people" and in both cases the State is required to provide the necessary actions to ensure their protection under the law.   

The 14th Amendment enumerates the requirement for the "protections" under the law without enumerating the causes or sources that necessitates that the protection is required.

Try reading the US Constitution a bit more often to understand a better understanding of what it actually states.

As also noted the 9th Amendment still protects the Inalienable Rights of the Person from violation by either government or other persons.

Fundamentally, for example, it doesn't matter if the government burns a black man's house down or if the KKK does it the same inalienable Right of the Person is being violated. Who violates it is really irrelevant to the person who's inalienable Rights were violated.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Mar 25th, 2014 at 9:25am
Print Post  
Shiva_TD wrote on Mar 24th, 2014 at 8:42pm:
That isn't what the 14th Amendment states. What it does state is:

It doesn't matter what the source of the violation of the Individual's Inalienable rights are. The "necessity" for equal protection can be caused "by the government" or "by the people" and in both cases the State is required to provide the necessary actions to ensure their protection under the law.   

The 14th Amendment enumerates the requirement for the "protections" under the law without enumerating the causes or sources that necessitates that the protection is required.

Try reading the US Constitution a bit more often to understand a better understanding of what it actually states.

As also noted the 9th Amendment still protects the Inalienable Rights of the Person from violation by either government or other persons.

Fundamentally, for example, it doesn't matter if the government burns a black man's house down or if the KKK does it the same inalienable Right of the Person is being violated. Who violates it is really irrelevant to the person who's inalienable Rights were violated.

Government can't provide equal protection under law by holding people to different standards. That would be discriminatory. Thus, government is prohibited from discriminating.

Our Constitution is a charter granting certain powers to the government it created, and placing restrictions and limitations on those powers. It also charges the government with the duty to protect everyone's liberty and everyone's rights, equally, without discrimination.

The 9th Amendment reserves unenumerated rights to everyone, equally.

The 14th Amendment prohibits States from denying equal protection under the law.
How do you extend that to claim the 14th Amendment requires restrictions on the behavior of individuals, or can be used to compel individuals to engage in behavior they otherwise would not?

Police powers, which deals with crimes such as arson, are not granted to the national government, but remain with the States and local governments.
It's not that we have some 'inalienable right' to be free from crime, but that our State and local governments have an obligation to try to apprehend and punish criminals. (Although if the government steals your property, to keep for themselves or give to others, it somehow isn't a crime.)

Bigotry, while a reprehensible human failing, is not a crime.

Discrimination is something that any society that wishes to become or remain civilized engages in. Societies remain civilized by the discriminating actions of individual members of that society. Discrimination does not equate to bigotry.

If you think bigotry can be eliminated by law, you're simply a fool, dreaming foolish dreams.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Bill Of Rights Activism
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy