Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › War with Russia? Why Ben Swann’s Truth In Media Project Matters
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) War with Russia? Why Ben Swann’s Truth In Media Project Matters (Read 1335 times)
ZakCarter
Libertarian Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

War with Russia? Why Ben Swann’s Truth In Media Project Matters
Mar 5th, 2014 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
While Americans are calling Putin a dictator for his actions on Saturday, many of the same Americans are unaware that they live in a nation where wars are often dictated by their President.

As recently as 2011, President Obama committed troops to Libya without Congressional approval. At the time, Libya was not attacking or threatening the United States. Obama made the decision to send troops to Libya due to the pressure put on him from NATO and others.

Starting in July of last year, the war drums were beating on America mainstream media channels and even libertarian Glenn Beck was calling for a war in Syria. Ben Swann didn’t waste any time after the Season 1 Truth In Media project was funded to create a video titled, “What The Media Isn’t Telling You About Syria.” The video went viral and had over 500,000 views. It was about a month later....

Read the rest of the article at - http://benswann.com/war-with-russia-why-ben-swanns-truth-in-media-project-matter...

IP Logged

Shiva_TD
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: War with Russia? Why Ben Swann’s Truth In Media Project Matters
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2014 at 9:38am
Print Post  
If anything the linked story gives good reason for NOT supporting the "Truth in Media Project" because it's about as slanted as it possibly can be.

The issues related to Lybia, Syria, and even Russia today are widely covered in the main stream media and include legitimate news reporting as well as opinion commentary including commentary from the "nutcases" out there. How anyone can take commentators like Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck (not a Libertarian by any definition), Sarah Palin, and our favorite nutcase, Michelle Bachmann seriously is beyond comprehension. I is somewhat telling when we think about the "nutcases" they're almost all "Republicans" and/or "social conservatives" and I have to wonder why that is. 

If the "Truth In Media Project" wanted to 'matter' it would be discussing the problems with the War Powers Act instead of going off on political tangents that are a symptom of the problem with Presidents having the sole authority to commit acts of war. Of course even this problem is addressed in the main stream media from time to time.

Sorry, but the Truth In Media Project is nothing but a political rag sheet.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2014 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
Shiva_TD wrote on Mar 11th, 2014 at 9:38am:
I is somewhat telling when we think about the "nutcases" they're almost all "Republicans" and/or "social conservatives" and I have to wonder why that is. 

Al Gore comes to mind-  but, there are so many 'progressive' nutcases that it would be impossible to list them all.
I'd start with most of the people in our national government. OK, some of them are just venal opportunists, but they follow the nutcase 'progressive' agenda.

What is this "mainstream" media? The outlets that are being for the most part ignored?

IP Logged

Shiva_TD

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 10:00am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Mar 11th, 2014 at 4:18pm:
What is this "mainstream" media? The outlets that are being for the most part ignored?

What I've found is that the media is always biased but it does present issues even though it has a biased position on the issues. It is then up to us to find out the real facts by researching issues of importance.

Ben Swann's "Truth in Media Project" is just another biased source no different than Fox News or CNBC news. It doesn't bring anything new to the table and it about as valid as Al Gore trying to make money off of AGW as opposed to just trying to present the facts that AGW is a scientific fact caused by deforestation as well as manmade greenhouse gases that virtually all climatologists agree on. Al Gore's only problem is that he sought to profit from what was happening as opposed to simply exposing what was happening.

Of course leave it to a so-called libertarian to condemn Al Gore for being a caplitalist by trying to profit from an environmental catastrophy of epic proportions. For those that don't believe in global warming simply watch at this 15 second annimation of measured world temperature increases over the last 60 years.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaJJtS_WDmI

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Shiva_TD wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 10:00am:

Of course leave it to a so-called libertarian to condemn Al Gore for being a capitalist....

Al Gore is a capitalist?
Wow! You really need to follow your own advice and stop listening to whatever sources of information led you to believe that Gore is a capitalist.
I suppose you think Obama is a capitalist too?

IP Logged

Liberalterian

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 4:40pm:
Al Gore is a capitalist?
Wow! You really need to follow your own advice and stop listening to whatever sources of information led you to believe that Gore is a capitalist.
I suppose you think Obama is a capitalist too?

Define what you mean by capitalist.

If you mean that they sold products to others voluntarily then they are capitalists (Both wrote books, and Gore also made a movie). So by this basic definition they are both capitalists.

Right?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 9:45am
Print Post  
Liberalterian wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 10:43pm:
Define what you mean by capitalist.

If you mean that they sold products to others voluntarily then they are capitalists (Both wrote books, and Gore also made a movie). So by this basic definition they are both capitalists.

Right?

In this context, I'm talking about systems of belief.
By your definition, Putin is a capitalist, as is the Chinese government.
Capitalism is actually just an economic system that arises and develops whenever people are free to order their own lives, keep the products of their labor and chose freely what to do with what they have produced.
Ambitious people save the products of their labor, invest them, use them to create businesses and products and hopefully, profit from them.
As long as society punishes fraud and theft, free economic transactions are greatly beneficial to society, producing wealth, health and good environmental stewardship.

The only thing that has kept communism and other 'progressive' economies  even marginally viable is their ability to act as parasites on free economies.
That's what Al Gore is, a 'progressive' parasite, grown rich sucking the life blood of productive people.

Obama is just a community organizer that was chosen to lead the U.S. into it's future as a 'progressive' paradise, which necessitates first destroying the fundamentals of our form of government- the rule of law applied equally, protection of rights (including property rights and the right of contract) and a government with limited, defined and enumerated powers.

IP Logged

Liberalterian

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Mar 21st, 2014 at 9:45am:
In this context, I'm talking about systems of belief.
By your definition, Putin is a capitalist, as is the Chinese government.
Capitalism is actually just an economic system that arises and develops whenever people are free to order their own lives, keep the products of their labor and chose freely what to do with what they have produced.
Ambitious people save the products of their labor, invest them, use them to create businesses and products and hopefully, profit from them.
As long as society punishes fraud and theft, free economic transactions are greatly beneficial to society, producing wealth, health and good environmental stewardship.

The only thing that has kept communism and other 'progressive' economies  even marginally viable is their ability to act as parasites on free economies.
That's what Al Gore is, a 'progressive' parasite, grown rich sucking the life blood of productive people.

Obama is just a community organizer that was chosen to lead the U.S. into it's future as a 'progressive' paradise, which necessitates first destroying the fundamentals of our form of government- the rule of law applied equally, protection of rights (including property rights and the right of contract) and a government with limited, defined and enumerated powers.

Obama I might concede to you but how is Al Gore a parasite who grew rich sucking the life blood of productive people? What specifically did he do that justifies that statement? I guess you could count him getting paid for being Vice President... but making money from his movie and books is fully legitimate, right? And I am fairly sure he made more money off those than he did from taxpayers... though I admit I don't have the figures to prove this one way or another.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Mar 22nd, 2014 at 10:05am
Print Post  
Liberalterian wrote on Mar 21st, 2014 at 11:26pm:
Obama I might concede to you but how is Al Gore a parasite who grew rich sucking the life blood of productive people? What specifically did he do that justifies that statement? I guess you could count him getting paid for being Vice President... but making money from his movie and books is fully legitimate, right? And I am fairly sure he made more money off those than he did from taxpayers... though I admit I don't have the figures to prove this one way or another.

Other than working a few years as a reporter, his entire life was spent in government. Without that, nobody in the world would have published his book or made his movie.
Of course, without his father's influence, he probably never would have been elected to any office either.
But sure, Gore's a capitalist. He capitalized on his political fame and influence to make money from a book he probably didn't write.

IP Logged

Shiva_TD

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Mar 22nd, 2014 at 10:45am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Mar 21st, 2014 at 9:45am:

Mitt Romney and Bain Capital would also fall into this category. Remember that Bain Capital never invested even one dime of it's own money into any of the enterprises it took control over. It purchased stocks from other private stockholders and then either sold off the assets of the enterprise, outsourced the work to foreign countries, borrowed against the assets of  the enterprise to increase the stock value, or a combination of the above, and then took it's profits and ran. In many cases Bain Capital only put up a small percentage of the "buy-out" capital borrowing against the assets of the enterprise to fund the buy-out so it could profit even more.

We can also note that Mitt Romney had a much lower tax burden relative to income than over 90% of Americans and it was substantially lower than every middle income American in the United States. In 2011 Romney only had a 14% federal tax burden and I personally had a 28% federal tax burden (because I paid income taxes as well as Self-Employment taxes to the federal government) and I had far less than 1/200th of Romney's income.

Mitt Romney was one of the greatest parasites in America and certainly surpassed anything that Al Gore has ever accomplished in this regard.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › War with Russia? Why Ben Swann’s Truth In Media Project Matters
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy