Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Production why do many ignore science ehanced production
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Production why do many ignore science ehanced production (Read 777 times)
cutgov90
Ex Member

Production why do many ignore science ehanced production
Mar 30th, 2014 at 12:44am
Print Post  
among all this talk of race and jobs

what about de regulating to allow more creative better faster production of everything so we have much MORE and thus lower prices since scarcity goes AWAY

IP Logged

Nate
Libertarian Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Production why do many ignore science ehanced production
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2014 at 1:24am
Print Post  
I'm sorry, scarcity will NEVER go away. That's a fact of life. But it can be greatly diminished.

IP Logged

Shiva_TD
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2014 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Nate wrote on Apr 8th, 2014 at 1:24am:
I'm sorry, scarcity will NEVER go away. That's a fact of life. But it can be greatly diminished.

An interesting statement that could be false as current technology hints that scarcity of at least essentials can be eliminated.

The technology I refer to is digitial "printing" where, for example, we have plastic and metal printing today. This is creation at the molecular level currently but it can conceivably be accomplished at the atom level where atoms are joined to make molecules and then join the molecules to produce essentials like food for example. A chicken, for example, is just a simple thing based upon atomic structure and, in theory, can be "printed" by a computer. Science fiction has long held that food could be "printed" by a computer and the technology is moving in that direction.

A car could be printed as well but that takes some rather large hardware to do the printing.

Creating atoms is hard but creating molecules isn't all that hard and weaving them together isn't hard at all given assumptions of advanced software and hardware development. Who would have thought that a fully functional firearm could be "printed" 20 years ago but that's already been accomplished. Don't underestimate the advancements in technology.

IP Logged

LibertariCAN

Freedom Forever

Reply #3 - Apr 19th, 2014 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
Shiva_TD wrote on Apr 19th, 2014 at 10:47am:
An interesting statement that could be false as current technology hints that scarcity of at least essentials can be eliminated.

The technology I refer to is digitial "printing" where, for example, we have plastic and metal printing today. This is creation at the molecular level currently but it can conceivably be accomplished at the atom level where atoms are joined to make molecules and then join the molecules to produce essentials like food for example. A chicken, for example, is just a simple thing based upon atomic structure and, in theory, can be "printed" by a computer. Science fiction has long held that food could be "printed" by a computer and the technology is moving in that direction.

A car could be printed as well but that takes some rather large hardware to do the printing.

Creating atoms is hard but creating molecules isn't all that hard and weaving them together isn't hard at all given assumptions of advanced software and hardware development. Who would have thought that a fully functional firearm could be "printed" 20 years ago but that's already been accomplished. Don't underestimate the advancements in technology.

Your statement seems to me to be a soft/squish way of saying things are "maybe less scarce and more readily available" than they were in earlier times. Maybe so, but that still does not eliminate the problem of scarcity.

And note that scarcity, like the word "rational", is one of those economic terms that does not imply what is casually used in conversation the majority of the time. Economically speaking. scarcity does not mean "hard to find"; (i.e.it does not mean if we gave all the poor in the country essentials like food and housing, there would be no more scarcity of essentials in the country). Scarcity simply means that there are limited resources, and unlimited wants. Discussing the ratio or disparity between resources and wants is a circular discussion as the economic "problem" still persists on principal.

IP Logged

Alan Jones

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Apr 19th, 2014 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Quote:
A chicken, for example, is just a simple thing based upon atomic structure and, in theory, can be "printed" by a computer.

While I agree that such technology could improve food supply, it's not that simple. That "atomic structure" in a chicken, like all food, requires energy to produce, and the only viable economical way to convert energy to a form usable as food is directly or indirectly from photosynthesis of sunlight with CO2, creating energy-containing edible carbon.

Which means that the "food printer" must be supplied with food just like the chicken was.

But even if not as simple, nutritious food is dirt cheap to obtain/grow in forms people don't like to eat (like insects, etc) which could be used to supply a "food printer". But there are already cheap and easy ways to make such food sources more palatable, and most people just won't eat them. I don't think better technology will change that.

Convince people to eat anything nutritious without regard to source and you've solved world hunger already, no printer needed.

IP Logged

Nate
Libertarian Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Apr 20th, 2014 at 1:33am
Print Post  
Shiva_TD wrote on Apr 19th, 2014 at 10:47am:
[quote]An interesting statement that could be false as current technology hints that scarcity of at least essentials can be eliminated.

I said scarcity would never disappear; I didn't say scarcity of essentials would never disappear, even though that is also true.

Quote:

That would be an example of greatly diminishing scarcity. In order for scarcity to be completely gone, any time I, say, wanted a coke, it would instantly have to be pouring down my throat.

No doubt we can greatly diminish scarcity, but to speak of completely abolishing it is to speak of heaven or the Garden of Eden or other such supernatural things.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Production why do many ignore science ehanced production
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy