Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › How to make decisions
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) How to make decisions (Read 7558 times)
kypho
Libertarian Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: How to make decisions
Reply #60 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
try the virtue of selfishness by Ayn Rand

anything by milton friedman

anything by ludwig von mises

anything by lysander spooner

if you initiate force, you are wrong, and proof of course must be supplied

nothing hard here

here are some simple hints:  do what you want but dont steal or hurt anyone, and respec tthier ability to not only not deal with you but to tell others about you if you act irritating

dont ask gov for money, and freely trade

done

IP Logged

pjkon
Libertarian Senior Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #61 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
kypho wrote on Sep 1st, 2014 at 4:25pm:
try the virtue of selfishness by Ayn Rand

anything by milton friedman

anything by ludwig von mises

anything by lysander spooner

if you initiate force, you are wrong, and proof of course must be supplied

nothing hard here

here are some simple hints:  do what you want but dont steal or hurt anyone, and respec tthier ability to not only not deal with you but to tell others about you if you act irritating

dont ask gov for money, and freely trade

done

Umm, do most people on this forum need this advertisement?

IP Logged

Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #62 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
kypho wrote on Sep 1st, 2014 at 4:25pm:
done

Is that a complete education? It sounds like a fair beginning, but a bit tilted toward an-cap. I think a good understanding of the government we're supposed to have is a necessary and urgent requirement for those interested in liberty.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Dissident Right
Ex Member

Reply #63 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 1st, 2014 at 8:02am:
There is no power granted by our Constitution to "rule" or to "govern". It's a government that may tax but isn't permitted to govern.

The act of taxation is an act of ruling. If I have $10, and the government takes it, the government has decided that it, not I, is going to determine how that $10 is spent.

Also, have you lately read Article III, Section 2; Article V, or last sentence of Article I, Section 8? Could you tell me if Article III, Section 2 does or does not give the Federal government the power to make decisions that affect me and my property?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #64 - Sep 2nd, 2014 at 8:40am
Print Post  
Quote:
The act of taxation is an act of ruling. If I have $10, and the government takes it, the government has decided that it, not I, is going to determine how that $10 is spent.

Also, have you lately read Article III, Section 2; Article V, or last sentence of Article I, Section 8? Could you tell me if Article III, Section 2 does or does not give the Federal government the power to make decisions that affect me and my property?

Judicial power under the Constitution relating to laws made under the granted powers of the Constitution is necessary to prevent the government from extending beyond those granted powers, and to ensure that treaties made with foreign nations do not usurp the rights and liberties of citizens. It's a control on the government, not on you.

The necessary and proper clause applies to Constitutionally granted powers as a limit on the lawmaking ability of Congress. Congress can only enact laws which are necessary to carry out its granted Constitutional powers, and which can be seen as doing so in proper fashion.

As the authors of the Constitution said repeatedly, the Constitution grants no general powers to the government, only specific and limited powers.

"Governing" or "ruling" entails something like the ACA, where government tells you what you must do. NO such general power is created by the Constitution.
A specific and limited power to tax does tell you what you must do- pay any Constitutional tax- but that is not a power to govern, only a specific and limited power to tax.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Dissident Right
Ex Member

Reply #65 - Sep 3rd, 2014 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
So to answer my question, no, you haven’t read Article III, Section 2 lately. The judicial Power shall extend to all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising under this Constitution, the Laws of the United States, and Treaties made, or which shall be made, under their Authority [...] to Controversies to which the United States shall be a Party;—to Controversies between two or more States;— between a State and Citizens of another State,—between Citizens of different States,—between Citizens of the same State claiming Lands under Grants of different States.

Jeff wrote on Sep 2nd, 2014 at 8:40am:
"Governing" or "ruling" entails something like the ACA, where government tells you what you must do.

Yeah, and when the government tells me I must give it my money, that entails the government telling me what I must do.

Jeff wrote on Sep 2nd, 2014 at 8:40am:
A specific and limited power to tax does tell you what you must do- pay any Constitutional tax- but that is not a power to govern, only a specific and limited power to tax.

Only you could pretend there is a distinction here. No one is claiming that the Constitution entails an unlimited power to govern. What it entails is a specific and limited power to govern. Taxation is the most fundamental form of aggressive governance.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #66 - Sep 4th, 2014 at 11:35am
Print Post  
Quote:
So to answer my question, no, you haven’t read Article III, Section 2 lately. The judicial Power shall extend to all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising under this Constitution, the Laws of the United States, and Treaties made, or which shall be made, under their Authority [...] to Controversies to which the United States shall be a Party;—to Controversies between two or more States;— between a State and Citizens of another State,—between Citizens of different States,—between Citizens of the same State claiming Lands under Grants of different States.

Yeah, and when the government tells me I must give it my money, that entails the government telling me what I must do.

Only you could pretend there is a distinction here. No one is claiming that the Constitution entails an unlimited power to govern. What it entails is a specific and limited power to govern. Taxation is the most fundamental form of aggressive governance.

Yes, taxation is necessary if you want to have a government to protect your life, liberty and property.
Describing taxation as "governing" is a far stretch, particularly when the taxing allowed is strictly limited to prevent the taxing power from being used to favor any groups or individuals, as in "Direct taxes must be apportioned" and "Indirect taxes must be uniform".

I don't understand your point about the Supreme Court's judicial powers under the Constitution. It's clearly a power granted in order to prevent the governments from exceeding their granted powers or usurping additional powers. That's a good thing.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Dissident Right
Ex Member

Reply #67 - Sep 4th, 2014 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 4th, 2014 at 11:35am:
Yes, taxation is necessary if you want to have a government to protect your life, liberty and property.

No. It’s. Not. If I want my life, liberty, and property to be protected, I can either do it myself or voluntarily pay someone to do it for me. Taxes not required.

Describing taxation as "governing" is a far stretch, particularly when the taxing allowed is strictly limited to prevent the taxing power from being used to favor any groups or individuals, as in "Direct taxes must be apportioned" and "Indirect taxes must be uniform".

When the government tells me I must give it my money, that entails the government telling me what I must do. When the government spends my money, that entails it controlling part of my life. If it takes 10% of my income in taxes, that’s 10% of my life controlled by the government.

I don't understand your point about the Supreme Court's judicial powers under the Constitution.

“The Federal government’s judicial power extends to Controversies to which the United States shall be a party.” If I have a dispute with the United States, that dispute falls within the Federal government’s judicial power.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #68 - Sep 4th, 2014 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Quote:
No. It’s. Not. If I want my life, liberty, and property to be protected, I can either do it myself or voluntarily pay someone to do it for me. Taxes not required.

What's the plan to keep some narco terrorist gang from Mexico, with the help of their corrupt government, or maybe without it, from taking control of Texas, or California, New Mexico or Arizona? You don't care because you don't live there?
My property taxes, which are pretty low, since I live in a poor county in the Bible Belt, pay for the County Sheriff's Department and the County Courts. They both do a good job, fairly cheaply. Not perfect, just good value for the money.
I like it better than your 'plan'.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Dissident Right
Ex Member

Reply #69 - Sep 4th, 2014 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 4th, 2014 at 2:51pm:
What's the plan to keep some narco terrorist gang from Mexico, with the help of their corrupt government, or maybe without it, from taking control of Texas, or California, New Mexico or Arizona?

The same plan we have now: pay people to kill them if they aggress. This is not rocket science, Jeff.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › How to make decisions
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy