Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Would a privatized police force be bad? why so? fedex adn ups do mail
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Would a privatized police force be bad? why so? fedex adn ups do mail (Read 3974 times)
kypho
Libertarian Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Would a privatized police force be bad? why so? fedex adn ups do mail
Sep 1st, 2014 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
whats the downside?

upside includes no balloon pensions no oen voted for

pay and forget

also modern tek, and firing bad cops since not crony communist mob it is now

IP Logged

pjkon
Libertarian Senior Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Would a privatized police force be bad? why so? fedex adn ups do mail
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
The downside is that you don't necessarily have any control over what laws they enforce, much like under the current system.

IP Logged

kypho
Libertarian Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
not really, they are hired to enforce the laws, they just aren't an unccountable government agency

IP Logged

pjkon
Libertarian Senior Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Who precisely are they accountable to?  Force is hard to hold to account whether government or otherwise?

IP Logged

SkyChief
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Sep 4th, 2014 at 3:41am
Print Post  
I would embrace it. Good (privatised) cops would be rewarded with promotions and/or pay increases. The bad cops would be dismissed.

The only outcome is you would ultimately end up with a "good" police force.

Much unlike the system we currently have.

disclaimer: im not trying to imply that all Police are corrupt;, I believe most cops are decent people- doing their jobs the best they can. Its just that with the state-run Police, its incredibly difficult (if not impossible) to weed out the bad ones. Privatisation would remedy this quickly. imo.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Sep 4th, 2014 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Sep 4th, 2014 at 3:41am:
I would embrace it. Good (privatised) cops would be rewarded with promotions and/or pay increases. The bad cops would be dismissed.

The only outcome is you would ultimately end up with a "good" police force.

Much unlike the system we currently have.

disclaimer: im not trying to imply that all Police are corrupt;, I believe most cops are decent people- doing their jobs the best they can. Its just that with the state-run Police, its incredibly difficult (if not impossible) to weed out the bad ones. Privatisation would remedy this quickly. imo.

I think you might be right! Wasn't the KGB a sort of 'private' police force? I think that's what the DHS is too...
I guess you're talking about something different... has such a thing ever existed? I mean outside of the law and law enforcement and system of justice provide by government?
I think, in a state of nature, 'private police forces' are called warriors, and whoever has the most and best warriors, wins.

IP Logged

Alan Jones

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Sep 4th, 2014 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 4th, 2014 at 3:39pm:
I guess you're talking about something different... has such a thing ever existed? I mean outside of the law and law enforcement and system of justice provide by government?

Sure, right here in the U.S. (not the "outside of the law" part). Prior to the progressive era, official police forces were considered supplements to private citizens maintaining law and order, instead of a replacement.

In fact, nowhere in the U.S. Constitution is it required that arrests, prosecutions, convictions, or even imprisonment must be performed by a government entity. It wouldn't violate the constitution in any way today for a state to allow (competitive) private prosecutions and punishments IAW state laws, and the U.S. constitution.

I'm too lazy to do the research now, but I think there is some history in the U.S. of legal prosecutions and convictions without the direct involvement of any government (other than making the law being enforced). Maybe I'll research some details when I get the chance.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Sep 4th, 2014 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
Alan Jones wrote on Sep 4th, 2014 at 4:11pm:
Sure, right here in the U.S. (not the "outside of the law" part). Prior to the progressive era, official police forces were considered supplements to private citizens maintaining law and order, instead of a replacement.

In fact, nowhere in the U.S. Constitution is it required that arrests, prosecutions, convictions, or even imprisonment must be performed by a government entity. It wouldn't violate the constitution in any way today for a state to allow (competitive) private prosecutions and punishments IAW state laws, and the U.S. constitution.

I'm too lazy to do the research now, but I think there is some history in the U.S. of legal prosecutions and convictions without the direct involvement of any government (other than making the law being enforced). Maybe I'll research some details when I get the chance.

Certainly in frontier areas, Sheriffs were chosen by the community and served as law enforcement agents before there was any local government. But there was territorial government and the Army, even if they weren't always there when people needed them. And there was vigilante justice without courts or Judges too, in most cases it was probably pretty good.
But people knew they were subject to the Common Law, and to the law of their State or Territory. They also relied on the national Army to protect their lives, liberty and property, or at least hoped it would.

I hope this doesn't distract from my question. Has a private police force ever existed outside of law and government?

IP Logged

Alan Jones

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Sep 4th, 2014 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 4th, 2014 at 4:20pm:
Has a private police force ever existed outside of law and government?

I would say no, since the term "police" itself implies law enforcement, regardless of whether it's a government or a private police force.

But the OP wasn't referring to an organization operating outside the law. He was referring to a private police force operating IAW the law.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Sep 4th, 2014 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 4th, 2014 at 3:39pm:
I think you might be right! Wasn't the KGB a sort of 'private' police force? I think that's what the DHS is too...
I think, in a state of nature, 'private police forces' are called warriors, and whoever has the most and best warriors, wins.

The KGB was the main security agency for the Soviet Union (a communist state)from 1954 until its collapse in 1991.  "sort of private?" I dont think the KGB  could possibly get farther away from being privatized. And the DHS (i believe) is funded by the government, so they cannot be considered as being privatized.

I think what kypho was talking about is a police force (you know, cops with batons, K9s, patrol cars , etc.) with private funding and oversight as opposed to state funded.

'

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Would a privatized police force be bad? why so? fedex adn ups do mail
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy