Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Would a privatized police force be bad? why so? fedex adn ups do mail
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Would a privatized police force be bad? why so? fedex adn ups do mail (Read 4135 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Would a privatized police force be bad? why so? fedex adn ups do mail
Reply #20 - Sep 5th, 2014 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
redneckgearhead wrote on Sep 5th, 2014 at 4:01pm:
The biggest concern IMO is that these companies would have to be hired by local politicians. And as we all know the companies making the biggest campaign contributions ususally get the job.....

So, you've figured out what kypho was talking about? I'm still confused.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Alan Jones

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #21 - Sep 5th, 2014 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 5th, 2014 at 8:30am:
There are a few people in my county rich enough to have their own private police- if they did, would they be able to arrest me?

Sure, if they had probable cause. But a private company, or individual, would have no reason to fund a security force except to protect their own interests, and they already do that in the U.S.

Jeff wrote on Sep 5th, 2014 at 8:30am:
Would constitutional protections still apply? Would I have to get the government police to arrest the private police if the private police violated my rights?

Not only are private security forces subject to the same laws, they can be sued for false arrest as well. And unlike state officials, they don't have "qualified immunity".

According to Wikipedia, most defendants in false arrest cases are private security firms, largely security guards falsely arresting suspects for shoplifting (presumably before they actually leave the store).

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #22 - Sep 7th, 2014 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Alan Jones wrote on Sep 5th, 2014 at 7:32pm:
Sure, if they had probable cause. But a private company, or individual, would have no reason to fund a security force except to protect their own interests, and they already do that in the U.S.

Not only are private security forces subject to the same laws, they can be sued for false arrest as well. And unlike state officials, they don't have "qualified immunity".

According to Wikipedia, most defendants in false arrest cases are private security firms, largely security guards falsely arresting suspects for shoplifting (presumably before they actually leave the store).

Their own interests are that they want his stuff. I hear he has chickens.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Alan Jones

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #23 - Sep 7th, 2014 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Sep 7th, 2014 at 5:08pm:
Their own interests are that they want his stuff. I hear he has chickens.

He has a hot wife, too. As Confucius say: "He who covet neighbor's chicken instead of hot wife is fool".

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #24 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 10:04am
Print Post  
Alan Jones wrote on Sep 5th, 2014 at 7:32pm:

You're talking about how private security works in a country under the rule of law, with a government system of law enforcement and justice to back it up. I already know that.
I'm wanting to know how it will work in the an-cap fantasy world.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

kypho
Libertarian Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #25 - Sep 9th, 2014 at 12:00am
Print Post  
it would simply replace lazy burocrats with accountable private employees

IP Logged

Alan Jones

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #26 - Sep 9th, 2014 at 5:41am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 8th, 2014 at 10:04am:
You're talking about how private security works in a country under the rule of law, with a government system of law enforcement and justice to back it up. I already know that.
I'm wanting to know how it will work in the an-cap fantasy world.

Oops. For some reason, I didn't make any connection with AnCap in this thread, or realize that AnCap was the context of your posts.

That being said, private security/police should work the same in AnCap, the big difference would be in law-making, not law enforcement. That's my problem with AnCap: I have no problem with private entities operating IAW the law, my objection is to private entities enacting the law.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #27 - Sep 9th, 2014 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Alan Jones wrote on Sep 9th, 2014 at 5:41am:
Oops. For some reason, I didn't make any connection with AnCap in this thread, or realize that AnCap was the context of your posts.

That being said, private security/police should work the same in AnCap, the big difference would be in law-making, not law enforcement. That's my problem with AnCap: I have no problem with private entities operating IAW the law, my objection is to private entities enacting the law.

I don't think the kypho person ever clarified what the original post was actually about. I'm still confused. Sorry I passed my confusion on to you.
It looks like kypho is too busy clogging up the entire forum with posts nobody is much interested in to clarify any of the posts he/she is making.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #28 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 7:21am
Print Post  
http://reason.com/blog/2014/09/11/constitution-cramp-your-law-enforcement

Just a short article about some 'private' policing.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #29 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 1:38am
Print Post  
Alan Jones wrote on Sep 7th, 2014 at 8:22pm:
He has a hot wife, too. As Confucius say: "He who covet neighbor's chicken instead of hot wife is fool".

The Opposition say: "He who chooses chick over chicken lose both and starve too."

I'll take the chick magnet/food production.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Would a privatized police force be bad? why so? fedex adn ups do mail
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy