Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Hello. And how to create a libertarian planet?
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Hello. And how to create a libertarian planet? (Read 6286 times)
freeforall
Libertarian Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Hello. And how to create a libertarian planet?
Sep 8th, 2014 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
Hi folks. I'm a relatively new libertarian and have a million questions I'd like to pontificate with you. Where to start? How about one of the biggest?

Can a large powerful nation on the earth today, let's say the US, 'convert' to a libertarian society while no other large nation does? I don't think so. It'd only be a matter of time before Russia attacks New York to take control of it, etc.

Basically it seems to me that you have to have all major nations simultaneously shirking off major government for minarcho- or anarcho-capitalism to really work.

What do you think?

Give me my freedom for as long as I please.  All I ask of living is to have no chains on me. - Blood, Sweat & Tears

IP Logged

The Opposition
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Hello. And how to create a libertarian planet?
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2014 at 1:04am
Print Post  
I think you're right.

I equate it to the function of a male lion, if a male lion can be said to have any function. All he does is protect against other male lions. That is the system, though. In that system, the pride needs a male lion.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

freeforall
Libertarian Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2014 at 7:21am
Print Post  
Thanks for the response.

I'll admit I'm a little surprised by the anemic response to this thread so far, but it's early. 

If our dream of having a succesful minarcho- or anarcho-capitalistic society were to ever get off the ground, don't others wonder how that would even come to fruition?  Or is it even 'practical' in the 1st place?

Give me my freedom for as long as I please.  All I ask of living is to have no chains on me. - Blood, Sweat & Tears

IP Logged

Crystallas

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2014 at 8:18am
Print Post  
Libertarianism is non-utopian.

Nobody creates a planet. Instead, the individual is the focus.

IP Logged

freeforall
Libertarian Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2014 at 9:16am
Print Post  
I don't understand that.  Sure libertarianism is an individualist philosophy but no man is an island.  You can't live the emancipated life when everyone around you is a statist and makes you conform to their laws.

My point is it's not possible to have freedom on a large or semi-large scale when there are powerful anti-freedom forces surrounding you.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Sep 9th, 2014 at 9:35am
Print Post  
freeforall wrote on Sep 8th, 2014 at 11:10pm:
Hi folks. I'm a relatively new libertarian and have a million questions I'd like to pontificate with you. Where to start? How about one of the biggest?

Can a large powerful nation on the earth today, let's say the US, 'convert' to a libertarian society while no other large nation does? I don't think so. It'd only be a matter of time before Russia attacks New York to take control of it, etc.

Basically it seems to me that you have to have all major nations simultaneously shirking off major government for minarcho- or anarcho-capitalism to really work.

What do you think?

Returning our national government to the limits of the U.S. Constitution, as it's intended to work, would do the trick. Liberty produces prosperity, prosperity makes a nation powerful and able to afford good national defense.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

freeforall
Libertarian Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Sep 9th, 2014 at 9:52am
Print Post  
Yes somewhat.  But even that would be a freedom limiting state.  So, far from optimal.

As an aside to that, what made the 'liberty-loving' nation of the fledgling US fall from grace?  Money and power acquisition by the elite through the convenient use of the all-powerful taxing and jailing government.

I still get back to: there can be no real libertarianism unless it happens on a grand scale.

IP Logged

Crystallas

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Sep 9th, 2014 at 10:09am
Print Post  
freeforall wrote on Sep 9th, 2014 at 9:16am:
I don't understand that.

Indeed. So let's focus on questions and not making answers when you admit you do not understand. What do you not understand?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Sep 9th, 2014 at 10:11am
Print Post  
freeforall wrote on Sep 9th, 2014 at 9:52am:
Yes somewhat. But even that would be a freedom limiting state. So, far from optimal.

As an aside to that, what made the 'liberty-loving' nation of the fledgling US fall from grace? Money and power acquisition by the elite through the convenient use of the all-powerful taxing and jailing government.

I still get back to: there can be no real libertarianism unless it happens on a grand scale.

You introduced yourself as being new to libertarianism, and I can see that that is true.
Before you criticize the Constitution, you should study it so you can make an informed criticism.
Making grand proclamations about what it will take to make individual liberty possible (in fact nothing more than limited government) when you don't know anything about a libertarian system of government that produced more individual liberty (and prosperity and progress) than the world has ever known, before or since, just makes you sound like another 'progressive' troll.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

freeforall
Libertarian Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Sep 9th, 2014 at 11:27am
Print Post  
Ok.  Crystallas: I'm not making a planet.  But I want to know how to spread libertarianism to a large percentage of the planet so that I and others may live in peace and freedom.  How does that get done?

Jeff:  I'm not a troll.  I'll admit to not having studied the constitution recently.  Or reading any Murray Rothbard books.  I have however read and discussed libertarianism, mainly from an internet perspective, for a year or so now.  Say what you want to about that but it works better for me than sitting down with a book.

By praising the constitution I take it to mean you are a minarchist.  Fine by me as I would call myself one as well for the time being.  In your opinion was the constitution the perfect platform for a libertarian society?  I've read other libertarians that did not feel as such, even going so far as criticizing the colonialists who destroyed private property with their Boston tea party.  I know they (tea party and constitution) are not one and the same but the idea that those that would praise such an act and write such a document can be thought of as one representing people who in actuality did not have 'true liberty' in mind.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Hello. And how to create a libertarian planet?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy