Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Hello. And how to create a libertarian planet?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Hello. And how to create a libertarian planet? (Read 5973 times)
Alan Jones
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Hello. And how to create a libertarian planet?
Reply #50 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 10:29am
Print Post  
freeforall wrote on Sep 11th, 2014 at 6:56pm:
There are no large 1st world libertarian societies.  If there are so many advantages (or are there?) why aren't we seeing them?

That's like asking "if it's so advantageous to not get robbed, why do people get robbed?"

The answer is the same as the answer to your question: because it's only advantageous to to victims of aggression, it's not advantageous to the aggressors.

IP Logged

freeforall
Libertarian Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #51 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Thanks for all your thoughtful responses gentlemen.  I will use them as I dive in the deep end.

May the Mises be with you.  Shocked

Give me my freedom for as long as I please.  All I ask of living is to have no chains on me. - Blood, Sweat & Tears

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #52 - Sep 13th, 2014 at 8:23am
Print Post  
freeforall wrote on Sep 12th, 2014 at 6:53pm:
Thanks for all your thoughtful responses gentlemen.  I will use them as I dive in the deep end.

May the Mises be with you.  Shocked

Study the history of the U.S. for the first 100 years or so. It was a large and hugely successful libertarian society.
I recommend Paul Johnson's excellent histories "The Birth of the Modern" and "Modern Times".

IP Logged

Josh

Stop looking at me like
that, you pervert.

Reply #53 - Sep 13th, 2014 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 13th, 2014 at 8:23am:
Study the history of the U.S. for the first 100 years or so. It was a large and hugely successful libertarian society.

Yeah, when George Washington, the very first constitutional president created a central bank, you know the country was off to a good start. Then when John Adams came in and implemented the Alien and Sedition Acts, outlawing the criticism of government except for Thomas Jefferson? That was just more libertarianism for ya. Or when Thomas Jefferson, the most outspoken libertarian-leaning figure took office and imposed the Embargo Act of 1807.... so libertarian. How about James Madison, who, after spending his days railing against the central bank, created another one after Jefferson shutdown the first? That's just some more libertarianism for you. But you said 100 years, so that must include Abraham Lincoln's massive expansion of government both monetarily and fiscally -- the expansion of government that so closely resembled the FDR's expansion, they went by the same name (the "New Deal"). And the way he murdered hundreds and thousands of people because they were trying to secede from the union? So libertarian. Yeah, it was a real successful libertarian nation. You know your history so well.

I like big butts and I cannot lie.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #54 - Sep 13th, 2014 at 11:33am
Print Post  
Josh wrote on Sep 13th, 2014 at 10:12am:
Yeah, when George Washington, the very first constitutional president created a central bank, you know the country was off to a good start. Then when John Adams came in and implemented the Alien and Sedition Acts, outlawing the criticism of government except for Thomas Jefferson? That was just more libertarianism for ya. Or when Thomas Jefferson, the most outspoken libertarian-leaning figure took office and imposed the Embargo Act of 1807.... so libertarian. How about James Madison, who, after spending his days railing against the central bank, created another one after Jefferson shutdown the first? That's just some more libertarianism for you. But you said 100 years, so that must include Abraham Lincoln's massive expansion of government both monetarily and fiscally -- the expansion of government that so closely resembled the FDR's expansion, they went by the same name (the "New Deal"). And the way he murdered hundreds and thousands of people because they were trying to secede from the union? So libertarian. Yeah, it was a real successful libertarian nation. You know your history so well.

Yes, compared to anything the world had known, and has known, it was a very libertarian nation.
We libertarians have learned a lot since 1776. It wouldn't take much to correct the problems that arose during our early history, and the Constitutional perversion of the 'progressive' era could be undone at a stroke. We can easily see how things went wrong and improve our Constitution to make an even better libertarian society.
Certainly you've not posted anything that indicates you have a better idea. If it's isn't perfect, destroy it. What a great plan for creating a libertarian world. Anarchy.
Do you know any of the history of Poland around the time of the American Revolution? It was pretty anarchic. Probably something you should learn about.

IP Logged

JW
Libertarian Senior Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #55 - Sep 13th, 2014 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 13th, 2014 at 11:33am:
Yes, compared to anything the world had known, and has known, it was a very libertarian nation.
We libertarians have learned a lot since 1776. It wouldn't take much to correct the problems that arose during our early history, and the Constitutional perversion of the 'progressive' era could be undone at a stroke. We can easily see how things went wrong and improve our Constitution to make an even better libertarian society.

I'm excited by this.  Because it means someone has a plan to make a libertarian state.

What "stroke" is needed to make the US a libertarian state?

How would you improve the constitution to make an even better libertarian society?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #56 - Sep 13th, 2014 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
JW wrote on Sep 13th, 2014 at 1:42pm:
What "stroke" is needed to make the US a libertarian state?

How would you improve the constitution to make an even better libertarian society?

You're thinking about a magic wand. I don't know anyone who has one.

I started a thread about repairing the Constitution, but I got a lot of crap from the 'progressives' and anarchists and Party "republicans", and nobody else was much interested. Say, didn't you crap on that thread too?
Probably most of them never ever bothered to try to understand the Constitution, they just drank the cool-aid.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Hello. And how to create a libertarian planet?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy