Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › is sexual harassment protected by the First Amendment
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) is sexual harassment protected by the First Amendment (Read 15946 times)
AlayneLeung
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

is sexual harassment protected by the First Amendment
Mar 24th, 2015 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
like spoken/typed/written words/symbols and pictures that're drawn? The Supreme Court said a few years ago that the First Amendment protects all speech, even what some people find detestable.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Re: is sexual harassment protected by the First Amendment
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2015 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
AlayneLeung wrote on Mar 24th, 2015 at 3:11pm:
like spoken/typed/written words/symbols and pictures that're drawn? The Supreme Court said a few years ago that the First Amendment protects all speech, even what some people find detestable.

Any type of harassment is illegal in the U.S., just go to your local magistrate and file a complaint. Evidence is useful, if you have none, it could be your word against hers, in which case, you have no case. Document everything you can.

And yes, nobody has a right to silence anyone else (you can tell them to leave your property). You only have the right to file a complaint of verbal assault. If you were not verbally assaulted, but merely offended, walk away, suck it up, the world is often offensive as are some people. I personally find 'progressive' theories and policies to be detestable, but I'll fight for their right to express their ideas freely.

BTW, your post's title, combined with the text of your post, make you sound like a troll. What's your point? You want to let the government control speech and thought? Or just speech?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

AlayneLeung

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2015 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
i'm quite the opposite, actually.  i don't want the government to control speech and thought except for public documents, i.e., marriage papers, divorce papers, etc.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2015 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
AlayneLeung wrote on Mar 24th, 2015 at 3:38pm:
i'm quite the opposite, actually.  i don't want the government to control speech and thought except for public documents, i.e., marriage papers, divorce papers, etc.

Ha Ha Ha.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Alan Jones

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Mar 24th, 2015 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
AlayneLeung wrote on Mar 24th, 2015 at 3:11pm:

LOL, so I'm free to tell someone "give me your wallet or I'll kill you"? Is that protected speech, too?

IP Logged

AlayneLeung

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Mar 24th, 2015 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
i don't know the very specifics of this SCOTUS decision.  i don't think free speech extends to making non-fictional and illegal violent threats.  you could probably do a freedom of information request, though.  i do think a person could call somebody else "gorgeous/handsome" and/or ask her/him "want to have sex with me?" with this SCOTUS decision. 

IP Logged

genepool

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Mar 25th, 2015 at 12:28am
Print Post  
The true purpose of sexual harassment is indeed to distort the market.

The truth is that most women are whores and most males are johns.

Governments try to hide this truth.

How?

By making any speech or offers that may reveal this truth to be criminal.

Take a look at prostitution. Everybody that wants it can get it. However, it's driven underground. The majority of the population must not know that some really really hot women that have many job offers still want to suck thingy for money like what most women would.

Imagine if prostitution is illegal.

You see Jane, the hotty in school that went to harvard? She's $1k per hour. Oh shit. Prostitution will no longer have negative stigma. Then many girls will be like Jane. Then Donald Trump will just hire them all. That means most men won't get laid.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Mar 25th, 2015 at 8:05am
Print Post  
AlayneLeung wrote on Mar 24th, 2015 at 3:38pm:
  i don't want the government to control speech and thought except for public documents, i.e., marriage papers, divorce papers, etc.

Speech and thought should be controlled by government whenever the expression is in a "public document"? What sort of "public documents" does your "etc." apply to?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

jzk
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Oct 10th, 2015 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
How would a libertarian justify making sexual harassment illegal?  Does it violate the NAP?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Oct 10th, 2015 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
jzk wrote on Oct 10th, 2015 at 2:46pm:
How would a libertarian justify making sexual harassment illegal?  Does it violate the NAP?

Obviously you've never been harassed. Harassment is justifiably illegal.

Offending people is not illegal, and only idiot 'progressives' think offending people should be illegal.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › is sexual harassment protected by the First Amendment
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy