Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Cuban And US Embassies To Be Reopened
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 64 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Cuban And US Embassies To Be Reopened (Read 36366 times)
SkyChief
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Cuban And US Embassies To Be Reopened
Reply #20 - Aug 5th, 2015 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
A Letter To The Miami Herald Editor

by NICHOLAS SARWARK, CHAIR, LIBERTARIAN NATIONAL COMMITTEE, ALEXANDRIA, VA.

Last week in Miami, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton called for ending trade sanctions on Cuba. This was a brave move on her part, and I applaud her for it. I also applaud President Obama for re-establishing diplomatic relations and the Republican and Democratic lawmakers in Congress who are seeking to preserve Americans’ right to travel freely to Cuba.

We have seen that decades without diplomatic relations have done nothing to change the regime in Havana.

Likewise, decades of economic sanctions and travel restrictions have been unproductive at best and arguably may have even strengthened the Castros’ hold on power.

We often forget that free people have the right to travel. We should never advocate our government or any other government restricting our travel. We also have the right to do business where and with whom we choose. We have the right to do business in Cuba and with Cubans. But our government is currently preventing us from exercising those rights.

Some people advocate sanctions in the name of liberty. I think their intentions are benevolent. They think that sanctions are a relatively peaceful tool for opposing regimes that we think are inappropriate in some way, typically in the realm of human rights. I, too, am passionate about the human rights of oppressed people worldwide. But the United States now has decades of evidence that shows that sanctions rarely achieve their intended goal and, instead, hurt the very people the sanctions were intended to help.

Advocates of sanctions also forget that such restrictions also violate our rights, as Americans, to travel and trade where and with whom we choose.

Freedom is best advanced not by governments, but by individual people interacting with each other of their own accord.

If we are truly concerned about the human rights of people in countries such as Cuba, Iran and North Korea, the best thing we can do is to end our sanctions on those countries and let our citizens interact and trade freely with their people.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/letters-to-the-editor/article29907310.html#st...

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #21 - Aug 6th, 2015 at 9:43am
Print Post  
I pretty much agree Chief, but I don't think N. Korea is going to allow anybody to trade with them unless they have high tech military hardware or good computer software to sell. I suppose they'd buy food on the free market, if the IMF gave them the money to buy it.

Permitting Americans to go to Cuba and spend money, or U.S. citizens to open businesses in Cuba (will that be allowed by Cuba?) will help the Cuban people to generate more wealth, but, who then claims to own that wealth? The Communist Party of Cuba.

It's a dilemma, but I have to come down on the side of liberty, and the first thing we need is economic liberty for Americans, right here in our own country.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #22 - Aug 8th, 2015 at 12:56am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Aug 6th, 2015 at 9:43am:
Permitting Americans to go to Cuba and spend money, or U.S. citizens to open businesses in Cuba (will that be allowed by Cuba?) will help the Cuban people to generate more wealth, but, who then claims to own that wealth? The Communist Party of Cuba.

It's a dilemma, but I have to come down on the side of liberty, and the first thing we need is economic liberty for Americans, right here in our own country.

This makes sense.

I think the initial goal is to end travel restrictions to and from Cuba. Just give Cubans and Americans the liberty to come and go as they please.

As genepool reiterates over and over, If you dont want to go a particular country, for whatever reason, Then don't.        (i'm paraphrasing, of course).

I personally have no desire to go to Cuba. But knowing Im afforded the liberty to go there if i wanted to would make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

And for selfish reasons, I would also like to see trade sanctions relaxed somewhat so i could buy a decent Cuban cigar for under 15 bucks!   Cool

IP Logged

Dissident Right
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Aug 8th, 2015 at 10:15am
Print Post  
The enemies of life, liberty, and property own all the political power, so there is no "peaceful" solution.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #24 - Aug 14th, 2015 at 11:31am
Print Post  
Yay!!

Old Glory once again proudly flies outside the American Embassy in Havana. Last time she flew in Havana was in 1961.

John Kerry presided over the flag-raising ceremony this morning speaking Spanish and English to enthusiastic crowds.

Kerry spoke of easing trade sanctions in the future. Which is good, imo. 

There's no point in punishing an entire nation for the misdeeds of one man (Castro).

Another baby-step toward Liberty.  Hey..  let's take 'em when we can get 'em.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #25 - Aug 16th, 2015 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Aug 14th, 2015 at 11:31am:
There's no point in punishing an entire nation for the misdeeds of one man (Castro).

It's the Castros that have been punishing the Cuban people (those that didn't escape) for a very long time.
A step toward liberty for the Cubans would be to hang all the communists.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #26 - Aug 17th, 2015 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Aug 16th, 2015 at 4:13pm:
A step toward liberty for the Cubans would be to hang all the communists.

That violates NAP. I know you don't mean that literallySmiley

I think we're on the right path by normalizing travel and trade policies with Cuba. 

As US dollars trickle into the Cuban economy, The Cuban people's standard of living will go up. As this happens, Cuba's infrastructure/social structure improves, thereby making it even more attractive for Americans to do business with Cuba.

Its a win-win scenario.  Everyone benefits.  Any step closer to Liberty is a step in the right direction. For Cubans and Americans.

The Castros will eventually succumb to old age and die off (Gosh, is Fidel still alive?) . But Cuba will remain.

Who knows? maybe in 25 or 30 years our grandkids will scratch their heads and wonder "What the heck was Communism, anyway?"

IP Logged

Alan Jones

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #27 - Aug 17th, 2015 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Aug 17th, 2015 at 11:27pm:
That violates NAP. I know you don't mean that literally.

It wouldn't violate the NAP to hang only the communists in power, who have actively deprived people of liberty en masse.

IP Logged

genepool

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #28 - Aug 18th, 2015 at 9:31am
Print Post  
Excuse me. Isn't US a commie country by now? I mean welfare duh?

IP Logged

genepool

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #29 - Aug 18th, 2015 at 9:32am
Print Post  
Alan Jones wrote on Aug 17th, 2015 at 11:40pm:
It wouldn't violate the NAP to hang only the communists in power, who have actively deprived people of liberty en masse.

And so is anyone that's in power. Like anyone that vote for obama care.

So kill them all? Yay.... Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 64
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Cuban And US Embassies To Be Reopened
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy