Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Cuban And US Embassies To Be Reopened
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 57 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Cuban And US Embassies To Be Reopened (Read 21292 times)
Don_G
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Cuban And US Embassies To Be Reopened
Reply #520 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Sep 18th, 2017 at 12:33pm:
Exactly.  Cuba offered no help in the investigation. They simply denied any involvement.  That is a huge red flag, right there.

The US diplomats were attacked. Iv'e already stated that its unclear who is responsible for the attack:

Instead of making a big issue out of this, the WH decided to withdraw the injured diplomats (some of which needed to be hospitalized) and quietly shut down the Embassy.

That IS a non-violent/non-interventionist libertarian solution, IMO.

I've already adressed this:

If past practice can be relied upon as an indication of just what has happened,  it's likely that the US and/or US spies in Cuba did it themselves in order to stop progress of peaceable relations with Cuba.

Cuba has demanded that capitalism comes to Cuba on their terms and the US can't accept that.

My opinions and attitudes have been formed over years of pat experience, not just now for this occasion.

They are in no way inconsistent with libertarian ideals.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #521 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Cuba urged the United States on Friday to cooperate with its investigation into incidents that the U.S. says have harmed its diplomats in Havana and not to politicize the matter, days after Washington said it was considering closing its Cuban embassy.

In an address to the United Nations General Assembly, Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez said the top level of the government in Havana had ordered an investigation into the mysterious matter, which threatens the fragile detente between the old Cold War foes.

However, a Cuban government source told Reuters that the United States had provided no evidence of the harm, including hearing loss, dizziness and nausea, that it says U.S. diplomats and their relatives based in Havana have suffered.

Cuban doctors had also not been allowed to examine anyone, the source said. A spokesman for the U.S. embassy in Havana declined to comment.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-un-assembly-cuba/cuba-urges-u-s-not-to-politi...

It's starting to sound like the "sonic attack" scandal might be fake.  The whole thing is so bizarre. (I added the bold in the Reuters article)

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #522 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Sep 22nd, 2017 at 5:43pm:
It's starting to sound like the "sonic attack" scandal might be fake.
Real Americans were in the embassy in Cuba... What do they have to say about it? Or has our government told them to shut up?

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #523 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 22nd, 2017 at 6:16pm:
Real Americans were in the embassy in Cuba... What do they have to say about it? Or has our government told them to shut up?

My guess right from the beginning was that it was either fake or fabricated by Americans or Cuban Americans.

You will note that the Chief bought right into it!

Any time any of you mutts want to stop being embarrassed and act like responsible adults, just let me know.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #524 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Sep 22nd, 2017 at 6:43pm:
My guess...
Is just as worthless as all your other unsubstantiated guesses.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #525 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez issued a stern warning to President Trump:

"It would be regrettable that a matter of this nature is politicised and that hasty decisions not supported by conclusive evidence and investigation results are taken."

SoS Tillerson met with Rodriguez and others yesterday (Sept 26th). Ten days ago, SoS Tillerson had indicated that the US Embassy in Cuba would likely be shut down because Cuba has demonstrated that it cannot assure the safety of US diplomats at the US Embassy.

Mr. Tillerson, "conveyed the gravity of the situation and underscored the Cuban authorities' obligations to protect embassy staff".

Many tin-foil hat theories afloat, from surveillance technology gone awry to a sophisticated acoustic weapon in the hands of Cuban-American exiles or third-party state actors such as Russia, Iran or North Korea. 

I think the whole "sonic attack" fiasco is a false-flag contrived by the State Dept. to gain political leverage over Cuba. 

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #526 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
I think you're right. There's no reason why Cuba would want it to happen.

And another clue is that Tillerson is not being straight about it. He'll try to extract some concessions from Cuba on what they will allow to happen in their country. Raul will stand fast most likely. Too much water under the bridge now.

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #527 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
I have to admit, a false flag makes more sense than the Cubans doing it. 
A false flag by the Russians makes marginally more sense than the US.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #528 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Sep 27th, 2017 at 12:36pm:
I think you're right. There's no reason why Cuba would want it to happen.

And another clue is that Tillerson is not being straight about it. He'll try to extract some concessions from Cuba on what they will allow to happen in their country. Raul will stand fast most likely. Too much water under the bridge now.

I think you're right about Raul holding his ground. It will hurt Cubans, though. And Cuban Americans with family in Cuba.

Raul should make some token concession to the US... it doesn't need to be BIG, just something - - anything - - maybe offer to post Cuban guards outside the embassy so if there are more sonic attacks, the Cuban gurads would be injured along with any US diplomats. 

That would at least prove that Cuba Government is not behind the attacks.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #529 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Sep 27th, 2017 at 12:49pm:
I think you're right about Raul holding his ground. It will hurt Cubans, though. And Cuban Americans with family in Cuba.

Raul should make some token concession to the US... it doesn't need to be BIG, just something - - anything - - maybe offer to post Cuban guards outside the embassy so if there are more sonic attacks, the Cuban gurads would be injured along with any US diplomats. 

That would at least prove that Cuba Government is not behind the attacks.

That would be the sort of concession I would think would be forthcoming. It probably already has in some variation or another.

ahhell raises a good point on it possibly being the Russians who caused the sonic blasts. I don't know it they would be more likely than the US though.

Something to think about before the US starts to promote the idea, if it hasn't already started. We're in a Cold war situation now, regardless of our opinions on which side started it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 57
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Cuban And US Embassies To Be Reopened
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy