Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › What's libertarian solution for this
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) What's libertarian solution for this (Read 1155 times)
stevea
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: What's libertarian solution for this
Reply #10 - Sep 18th, 2015 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
A "meeting of the minds" has to occur for a valid contract.   If you and the other have very different ideas about what was involved, and if you would not reasonably have known - then the contract can be adjudicated (likely in your favor).

So here's an issue.  A lot of written contracts include a clause that says that the written contract is the entirety of the agreement.  IOW anything a saleman said is irrelevant.  Even that may not stand up in court, but it certainly means you must  show there was a substantial misrepresentation or fraudulent presentation.

IP Logged

genepool

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Sep 20th, 2015 at 1:44am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 15th, 2015 at 4:28pm:
True indeed. If genepool was stupid enough to go buy a new phone and calling plan without asking how much it was going to cost, and sign a contract without reading it, yeah, screw him.

Not me. I got screwed over something much more.

Basically I had a lawyer. Rather than figuring out how to do his job well, he think of how to maximize my costs. I trusted him as my lawyer.

After the smoke clears I lost $24k. Another lawyer said he accomplish very little and should have cost a mere $2.4k.

Among other things.

Basically what's the limit?

Force is not okay
Fraud is not okay
Deceptive?

Also is agreement written or verbal? I would say written agreement is stronger. The court needs proof. This is something government didn't do badly.

My mistake is that I expect lawyers to be objective. When there is conflict of interests lawyers will supply info that's favorable to him. For example, lawyers would exaggerate the judge's power on what's actually at stake to get more money.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Sep 24th, 2015 at 8:33am
Print Post  
gene, the criteria you gave to your investment lawyer was that you wanted the ratio of investment to insurance to be "large" to "small". Then, apparently, you let him draw up a contract that you never read. Apparently, you never even asked him "How much will the insurance cost?"
It's also apparent that you didn't bother to check the reputation of the lawyer you hired. So you were taken advantage of.
If you think it was fraud, take it to court.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › What's libertarian solution for this
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy