Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Communism Makes Me Sick
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Communism Makes Me Sick (Read 3257 times)
The Opposition
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Communism Makes Me Sick
Sep 16th, 2015 at 12:02am
Print Post  
I didn't get a lot of sleep last night, and I've never puked so much in my entire life. I've never filled up the toilet until it looked as if it was in danger of overflowing. I even lost six pounds for my trouble. My gorgeous self no longer looks quite so gorgeous. I have veins and I'm still severely dehydrated.

The culprit? Tea. Someone in my beloved's family bought a pack of expensive green tea. No one wanted to waste it, so eventually it was given to me. The first thing I noticed was that although it boasts that it's "naturally sweetened" it has zero calories. It doesn't take a genius to figure this out: It is not sweetened. But it gets worse.

Was I made deathly ill by any of the ingredients? Well, none of the ones on the ingredient panel. But take a glance to the side at what else is in it, and it'll probably make you sick too.

I just spent a few moments typing out the panel from memory when I realised that none of you would ever believe that it's this bad. I'll go the indisputable route and take a picture. Yes, it really says all of this:

...So great job guys. I now have a severe anaphylactic reaction to extreme regulatory and labour standards, and I can't think who else could have given it to me.

It could have been the happiness or the "good for the soul" nonsense, but nah. I'm going to blame the fair trade certification.

Since I'm not posting this in off-topic, what do you think of Fair Trade Certification? Communism, capitalism, or nonsense?

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Tommy Palven

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Communism Makes Me Sick
Reply #1 - Sep 16th, 2015 at 5:40am
Print Post  

Stevia is a very sweet natural ingredient.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia

I support your right to produce, purchase, and/or ingest anything you want to.
Caveat emptor, comrade?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Sep 16th, 2015 at 7:33am
Print Post  
Opposition, I don't think you've established that the tea is what made you sick. More testing is needed to confirm your hypothesis.
Take another big dose and see what happens.

BTW, the pic you posted doesn't show the "ingredients panel".

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Alan Jones

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Sep 16th, 2015 at 8:23am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 16th, 2015 at 7:33am:
Opposition, I don't think you've established that the tea is what made you sick. More testing is needed to confirm your hypothesis.
Take another big dose and see what happens.

+1, we need more data points.  Grin

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Sep 16th, 2015 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Tommy Palven wrote on Sep 16th, 2015 at 5:40am:
Stevia is a very sweet natural ingredient.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia

It's always going to be amazingly likely that anything natural in exactly the way they describe won't provide a pleasing taste unless it's also providing calories, simply because of natural selection. There could still be substances humans didn't have significant exposure to that happen to mimic sweetness. In this case my initial suspicion was confirmed: The tea was not sweet, but very bitter.

Tommy Palven wrote on Sep 16th, 2015 at 5:40am:
I support your right to produce, purchase, and/or ingest anything you want to.
Caveat emptor, comrade?

That's interesting because it means libertarians are okay with voting for communism, as long as the voting parties vote with their dollars. We could have, theoretically (I don't believe this would ever happen, but still) communism in all but name: High labour standards, and a great big "government" "enforcing" them, which just means that because they put the sticker on, and everyone only buys if it has the sticker, they get to engage in the same shenanigans as government. Everyone still technically has the right to conduct business any way they like, but they quickly go out of business if they don't give the customer what they want.

Alan Jones wrote on Sep 16th, 2015 at 8:23am:
+1, we need more data points.  Grin

Lucky for you (and very unfortunate for me) I still have one left.

The ingredients list is very short and there's nothing on it (besides the "sweetener") I haven't had before in decent quantities.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Sep 16th, 2015 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Sep 16th, 2015 at 5:39pm:
The ingredients list is very short and there's nothing on it (besides the "sweetener") I haven't had before in decent quantities.

Of course it's short, its tea with a naturally sweet additive, in water.

If you've ever had tea before with no problem, it isn't the tea, it's the other stuff.
Of course, you may be the only one affected by it. Lizard physiology is different than human physiology.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

stevea

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Sep 18th, 2015 at 9:56am
Print Post  
The sweetener 'stevia' does give some ppl nausea.  More likely though - the phenolic/tannin materials on tea can make ppl nauseous.  If you don't regularly drink tea, and drank a lot on an empty stomach - it's not unlikely.

I'm a huge coffee drinker, and after a long lapse I decided ~ 1 years ago to make a pot of jasmine tea (black, hot, unsweetened) and after about the 3rd small cup - I made an offering to the porcelain gods.

No - it's not a communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of your precious bodily fluids.

---

As for the "hippy talk" on the label.  There is an excellent chance that is just marketing bologna.  I'm part of a startup that will sell one of it's products to a 21-35yo demographic.  And yes, happy talk about energy efficiency and "natural" will appear on the label.

Steaz is made by "The Healthy Beverage Company" is hq'ed out of an office-for-rent suite in a building in Doylestown PA.   IOW it's a paper company - the product is made by some contract manufacturer to their spec.

Rest assured there are some middle-aged capitalists at the far end of that product who likely don't give a rats-hind about "fair trade certified", which is not in any case the good for tea-growers.  More like central planned markets.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2639135/Fairtrade-fails-help-poor-farmer...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/8353361/Fair-trade-is-neither-fair-nor-...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/cif-green/2009/dec/12/fair-trade-fairtr...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6426417.stm

--

It's marketing fluff that appeals to the shallow-thinking progressive-do-gooder.
You should find the family member that bought the stuff and send them to a re-education camp  Wink

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Sep 18th, 2015 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
LOL! Their "healthier world" is child labour, Ethiopian exploitation, and actually lower wages than the non-Fairtrade counterpart workers.

I assumed as much, honestly. Wherever there are suckers willing to pay for a sticker, there's going to be someone willing to put that sticker on and rake in the dough, regardless of whether the consumer's actual concern is being addressed. Puketastic. It's similar to what I believe about recycled products; I won't buy them unless they're cheaper. Otherwise, I figure I'm doing nothing but padding some liar's wallet.

I happen to drink loads of tea. I actually have a pretty bad caffeine addiction I'm quite ashamed of, since I have a zero tolerance outlook on drugs. Though I do see an objective difference between those drugs which rob you of your good judgement, and those which do not. The excessive tea drinking is the reason the tea went to me in the first place.

-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Sep 27th, 2015 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Sep 18th, 2015 at 9:44pm:
I happen to drink loads of tea. I actually have a pretty bad caffeine addiction I'm quite ashamed of, since I have a zero tolerance outlook on drugs. Though I do see an objective difference between those drugs which rob you of your good judgement, and those which do not. The excessive tea drinking is the reason the tea went to me in the first place.

Well, did you give yourself another dose and get puking sick again? I hope so.

You can only have your good judgement impaired if you have good judgement to begin with, which you don't. If I want to sit on my front porch in my dotage and impair my judgement, I will. NO harm will be done, and I'll feel better.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Sep 28th, 2015 at 3:53am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Sep 27th, 2015 at 5:52pm:
Well, did you give yourself another dose and get puking sick again? I hope so.

You can only have your good judgement impaired if you have good judgement to begin with, which you don't. If I want to sit on my front porch in my dotage and impair my judgement, I will. NO harm will be done, and I'll feel better.

Then you weren't entirely robbed of your good judgment. If you were, you couldn't possibly say for sure that drunk you wouldn't leave your porch and wreak havoc.

I have a whole family of people who are rational sober, but will drink enough alcohol that they do terrible, terrible things. My mum once ran around a parking lot with the blade out of a circular saw and smashed peoples' car windows. The rest of my family wouldn't blame her, because, "she has a disease; she's not responsible."

I fully agree that in that state, people aren't responsible. You just don't drink enough to go there. Good for you, but if you know that tipsy you will drink more, and drunk you will drink more, and fully smashed you will wreak havoc, you need to not become tipsy you. The moment you open that gate and unleash drunk you, that's aggression, exactly the same as it would be if you unleashed a rabid dog.

BTW, the last two (ungh, I have two left, not one) teas are sitting in my fridge taking up space.

-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Communism Makes Me Sick
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy