Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Do you support eugenics (aka abortion)?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Do you support eugenics (aka abortion)? (Read 540 times)
Josh
Libertarian Freedom Member

Stop looking at me like
that, you pervert.

Do you support eugenics (aka abortion)?
Oct 6th, 2015 at 2:35am
Print Post  
Just wondering.

I like big butts and I cannot lie.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Do you support eugenics (aka abortion)?
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2015 at 4:04am
Print Post  
As an authoritarian, I support eugenics but not abortion (not in all cases, anyway).

Cutting the limbs off your child is aggression. Fitting it with a bodysuit that prevents its limbs from developing is aggression. Allowing your child to be born with a genetic defect that prevents it from growing any limbs, I believe, is the same sort of aggression. If you know you're carrying a defect and you pass it on, you're negligently causing all of the suffering that defect will inflict. If the child suffers because of an act of the parents, let it sue the parents.

I do not support abortion in the case of consensual sex. My case for this is kinda sorta libertarian. If you have unprotected sex, I support it being considered a contract with the embryo, even though this is a rather weak case. At the very least, the female, through consent, is allowing the embryo into her body.

Without consent, or with deception (condom tampering and whatnot) there is no contract. I'm not forced to allow people to enter my house, even if staying outside will kill them. If they get in, without my permission, I can still eject them. I believe this is analogous to a female housing an embryo or fetus she never agreed to house.

Eugenically, I think it's important not to allow rape to be a behaviour which results in reproductive success. Hopefully allowing the female to choose in the case of rape is enough.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2015 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Oct 6th, 2015 at 4:04am:
As an authoritarian, I support eugenics but not abortion (not in all cases, anyway).

You want to sterilize people. People chosen by the government as "unfit to reproduce".

How 'progressive' of you.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Dissident Right
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 6th, 2015 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Only insofar as it can be achieved morally. In the case of abortion, the answer is "no" because "it can't be". Also we have a billion threads on this topic. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Oct 6th, 2015 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Oct 6th, 2015 at 3:21pm:
You want to sterilize people. People chosen by the government as "unfit to reproduce".

How 'progressive' of you.

If you read my post I framed the argument in a very libertarian way. You negligently cause damage to Bob, you get sued. If that damage is a genetic defect, it shouldn't matter. If you know you're carrying it, don't mate.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Oct 7th, 2015 at 7:44am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Oct 6th, 2015 at 11:18pm:
If you read my post I framed the argument in a very libertarian way. You negligently cause damage to Bob, you get sued. If that damage is a genetic defect, it shouldn't matter. If you know you're carrying it, don't mate.

You support eugenics. No libertarian arguments for eugenics are even remotely possible. Eugenics isn't about free choices of individuals, it's government deciding who should be permitted to reproduce.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Do you support eugenics (aka abortion)?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy