Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Confusing legal definition of prostitution
Poll
Poll Question:
bars   pie

Total votes: 0
« Created by: genepool on: Feb 1st, 2016 at 8:43pm »
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Confusing legal definition of prostitution (Read 1711 times)
genepool
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Confusing legal definition of prostitution
Feb 1st, 2016 at 8:43pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Confusing legal definition of prostitution
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2016 at 12:36am
Print Post  
By the definition you cited,  the girl demanding Bitcoin for sex is clearly a prostitute.

No ambiguity there whatsoever.

She offers sex in exchange for something of value (Bitcoin).

That's pretty straight-forward.  Its not confusing at all.

If she offered sex in exchange for roasted pumpkin seeds,  its prostitution.

Just not very smart prostitution.   Smiley

Governments will always devise ways to deprive an honest man of his money or property, and claim that it's legal.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2016 at 10:01am
Print Post  
genepool, are you still trying to figure out how to get top dollar for your daughters virginity? Or hoping someone else will sell their virgin daughter to you?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

genepool

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2016 at 12:32am
Print Post  
This is an opinion of a lawyer

I don't think you're going to get a satisfying answer here. The real answer is that, yes, marriage is consideration and exchanging sex for marriage is prostitution, according to the definition provided. However, custom and tradition have carved out certain exceptions which society tolerates because society prefers it that way. Law - especially common law - isn't a formal mathematical proof where you can point at a line that's out of place and invalidate the whole thing. It's more like a high school English essay, with lots of notes scrawled in the margins. With coffee stains.
http://law.stackexchange.com/questions/6816/whats-the-limitation-of-sexual-consi...

Basically if we uses straightforward definition and treat legal terms like math terms then yes demanding marriage before sex is prostitution.

However laws are not math.

Why? Because the true purpose of the law, something that can more consistently predict where the law would side, is often politically incorrect.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Feb 3rd, 2016 at 8:40am
Print Post  
This is why laws against prostitution are absurd. Anything you do to induce someone to mate with you could be considered payment.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Feb 3rd, 2016 at 10:11am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Feb 3rd, 2016 at 8:40am:
This is why laws against prostitution are absurd. Anything you do to induce someone to mate with you could be considered payment.

I discovered a long time ago that sex is only fun for me with people who want to have sex with me. If I have to "induce" them into it, it's not as good (for me) as masturbation.
Barbarian humans (and animals) usually feel differently about it.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Feb 3rd, 2016 at 10:13am
Print Post  
genepool wrote on Feb 3rd, 2016 at 12:32am:
This is an opinion of a lawyer

I don't think you're going to get a satisfying answer here. The real answer is that, yes, marriage is consideration and exchanging sex for marriage is prostitution, according to the definition provided. However, custom and tradition have carved out certain exceptions which society tolerates because society prefers it that way. Law - especially common law - isn't a formal mathematical proof where you can point at a line that's out of place and invalidate the whole thing. It's more like a high school English essay, with lots of notes scrawled in the margins. With coffee stains.
http://law.stackexchange.com/questions/6816/whats-the-limitation-of-sexual-consi...

Basically if we uses straightforward definition and treat legal terms like math terms then yes demanding marriage before sex is prostitution.

However laws are not math.

Why? Because the true purpose of the law, something that can more consistently predict where the law would side, is often politically incorrect.

Is that Indonesian Law and an Indonesian lawyer? Somehow I imagined Indonesian Law was different. You use U.S. Common Law in Indonesia?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Feb 3rd, 2016 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Feb 3rd, 2016 at 10:11am:
I discovered a long time ago that sex is only fun for me with people who want to have sex with me. If I have to "induce" them into it, it's not as good (for me) as masturbation.
Barbarian humans (and animals) usually feel differently about it.

Do females just come up to you and ask you if you want to mate? Anything beyond this, even a completely natural amount of congeniality, could be considered paying the female. Females like it when you are nice to them. In a way, if they mate with you because of it, you paid them to mate.

This is just how courtship works. And yes, we are animals. One animal might display his good genes or showcase his ability to care for young by bringing the female food. He usually trades the service of helping to rear young for the right to mate. This has been the deal since there was a deal. Now we say there can't be any deal. There is some bloody reason to pick one male over any other, and the male capitalises on it. But we only call them prostitutes when they exchange actual goods. Not even services. It seems to me we're being obtuse, but maybe I'm just being cynical.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_among_animals

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Feb 4th, 2016 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Feb 3rd, 2016 at 10:00pm:
Do females just come up to you and ask you if you want to mate? Anything beyond this, even a completely natural amount of congeniality, could be considered paying the female.
That has happened to me, but it's been rare. Also on rare occasions, men have done the same thing. I've never tried it myself, I'm too much afraid I'll get slapped in public.

There are times when I pity you. Now is one of those times.

Do you also think friendship is some sort of commercial transaction, where one party pays for "friendship" and the other party sells "friendship"?

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Feb 4th, 2016 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Feb 4th, 2016 at 4:15pm:
There are times when I pity you. Now is one of those times.

Do you also think friendship is some sort of commercial transaction, where one party pays for "friendship" and the other party sells "friendship"?

Both parties fulfill a need, and are better off with the transaction than without. Each one provides what can be said to be services to the other.

If there's a difference I think it rests on being voluntary in an entirely higher sense than a mere transaction. Not only does each party get something it wants, but it is also willing to give its part regardless of the other giving it anything. This is where unconditional comes from. It's a greater feeling of security than you can achieve elsewhere. If both parties desire that feeling, they will both give unconditional love.

Jeff wrote on Feb 4th, 2016 at 4:15pm:
That has happened to me,

I am now convinced you have a venereal disease. It's not a good idea to mate with the ones who come up to you and ask to mate. That behaviour means they have a disease, which you will get.

-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Confusing legal definition of prostitution
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy