Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Ally w/ Green Party of US for unity chads for PotUSes&VPotUSes? edited
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ally w/ Green Party of US for unity chads for PotUSes&VPotUSes? edited (Read 9119 times)
AlayneLeung
Libertarian Senior Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Ally w/ Green Party of US for unity chads for PotUSes&VPotUSes? edited
Reply #10 - May 22nd, 2016 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
Hillary Clinton will probably choose former US Representative Gabrielle Giffords since Gabrielle Giffords was shot, and Donald Trump will probably choose New Jersey Governor Chris Christie since New Jersey got severely damaged by Superstorm Sandy.

IP Logged

Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - May 22nd, 2016 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
AlayneLeung wrote on May 22nd, 2016 at 4:45pm:
Hillary Clinton will probably choose former US Representative Gabrielle Giffords since Gabrielle Giffords was shot, and Donald Trump will probably choose New Jersey Governor Chris Christie since New Jersey got severely damaged by Superstorm Sandy.

And in light of those combo offerings, we should forget about Gary Johnson?
Did Giffords die? If not (actually either way) is getting shot a good recommendation for being VP? Getting shot might make you favor the confiscation of all guns.

BTW, you forgot to tell me where to find the bad stuff about Weld... where I can see he wants to disarm me.

IP Logged

AlayneLeung
Libertarian Senior Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - May 22nd, 2016 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
Getting shot can make people want to wear improved armor such as alternating layers of tantalum hafnium carbide and graphene because they can be hit by fast vehicles. 

As for Weld, he's made clear on CNN that his pseudo pro gun control positions don't bother him

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - May 23rd, 2016 at 9:52am
Print Post  
AlayneLeung wrote on May 22nd, 2016 at 6:18pm:
As for Weld, he's made clear on CNN that his pseudo pro gun control positions don't bother him

If Weld's positions on gun control were "pseudo pro gun control" then he isn't really in favor of gun control, which is good, but someone who takes 'pseudo" positions would obviously not be trustworthy, the problem we have with Trump and Hillary.

From what I can learn, Weld was running for office in the People's Republic of Massachusetts and supported an "assault" rifle" ban. Not a good position, but probably a political necessity at the time.

Trump, in contrast, talks about the 2nd Amendment and the right of people to be armed, but supports banning gun ownership for "enemies of the state" who might for some reason of other have been listed by someone or other on a "terrorist watch list" or a "no-fly list".

It's not hard to imagine President Trump "listing" everyone who doesn't support him as an "enemy of the state". Most libertarians probably would qualify in Trump's view as "enemies of the state".

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - May 23rd, 2016 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
AlayneLeung wrote on May 22nd, 2016 at 2:25pm:
Ok, forget Gary Johnson because I just heard he's trying to run with William Weld that had a pseudo gun control favoring record.  Let's nominate a different Libertarian for PotUS.

Bravo. 

Weld is not even remotely Libertarian.  He's about as Libertarian as Sean Hannity  (who thinks he's a libertarian, but he's not). Ok, that's not a fair comparison.  Weld tends to "lean" libertarian on a few issues; LGBT rights and immigration.

I'm surprised Johnson would choose him as a running mate. Probably because Johnson is so flaccid on gun control issues.

We should be considering a candidate with solid, uncompromising libertarian core values.  Someone like this man:

John McAfee dominated the Libertarian Debates on Stossel.   (IMO)

The LP Convention is only days away [May 27 - May 30].

Lets hope the LP delegates remember to wear their thinking caps to the Convention. This is a very unique election cycle coming up.  Most people despise the current Dem & GOP candidates. Their 'unfavorable' ratings of these two people are unprecedented in US history. To many voters, its like asking "Which would you rather have; syphilis (Hillary) or gonorrhea (Trump)?"

Whoever the LP Delegates choose for the nominee, There will be more votes for the Libertarian candidate than ever before - some pundits are saying 15% - 20%.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - May 23rd, 2016 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 12:06pm:
Lets hope the LP delegates remember to wear their thinking caps to the Convention. This is a very unique election cycle coming up.  Most people despise the current Dem & GOP candidates. Their 'unfavorable' ratings of these two people are unprecedented in US history. To many voters, its like asking "Which would you rather have; syphilis (Hillary) or gonorrhea (Trump)?"

I don't suppose there are any, but the 'unfavorable' ratings of McAfee would be interesting. I bet they'd be as bad as Hillary's and Trump's.

Having 15-20% of the electorate chose the Libertarian candidate means a certain victory for Trump.

If the Libertarians offer a Johnson/Weld ticket, the 'unfavorable' rating would be very low. Even if people know nothing other than that both of them have been Governors and both seem to be reasonable people, that could spell a defeat for candidates with huge 'unfavorable' ratings.

The pundits probably assume the Libertarian Party will choose wacko 'drugs and sex' candidates. Maybe they will. McAfee is a poster boy for who not to choose, a spoiled sounding rich guy with a past clouded by sex and drugs.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - May 23rd, 2016 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 4:49pm:
I don't suppose there are any, but the 'unfavorable' ratings of McAfee would be interesting. I bet they'd be as bad as Hillary's and Trump's.

What evidence do you have that might lead you to believe this?  Trump and Hillary's unfavorable ratings are nearly 50%.  Do you really think that McAfee's could be anywhere near that?  If so, I'll take that bet!

As of today, Austin Petersen is the  hands-down favorite LP nominee among [participating] Libertarian voters with 50%. Johnson comes in 2nd with 31% and McAfee is 3rd with 10%.
https://www.lp.org/poll/poll-3-who-do-you-want-to-be-the-2016-libertarian-party-...

But all this probably doesn't mean much to the Convention delegates who will picking the LP POTUS Nominee. I would be very surprised if they chose Petersen over Johnson, regardless of the lp.org poll numbers.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - May 24th, 2016 at 10:21am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 7:35pm:
What evidence do you have that might lead you to believe this?  Trump and Hillary's unfavorable ratings are nearly 50%.  Do you really think that McAfee's could be anywhere near that?  If so, I'll take that bet!

Yep, maybe worse.
Evidence? There isn't any that I know of. I don't think pollsters have asked voters in general how they view McAfee.
I'm just speculating that voters in general will look at McAfee's alleged connections to sex with underage women and his alleged connections with drug cartels in an unfavorable light.

McAfee has picked his VP, Judd Weiss, who said this about McAfee-

“McAfee is an impressive human, and a badass. He has so many incredible stories and achievements in his life, but he’s still pushing himself into more challenging adventures. I want to see a force of nature like McAfee go up against Trump and Hillary. I want to be excited about following this presidential race.”

Just what people want for President of the U.S., a "badass force of nature" who's "pushing himself into more challenging adventures."

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - May 24th, 2016 at 10:24am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 7:35pm:
As of today, Austin Petersen is the  hands-down favorite LP nominee among [participating] Libertarian voters with 50%. Johnson comes in 2nd with 31% and McAfee is 3rd with 10%.
https://www.lp.org/poll/poll-3-who-do-you-want-to-be-the-2016-libertarian-party-...

I hope the Libertarian convention delegates have some information about the general electorate and their views.
The general electorate's views of Peterson are most likely "Who?"

Perhaps the LP convention delegates don't care about picking someone that a majority of people will be willing to choose over Hillary and The Donald.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - May 24th, 2016 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on May 24th, 2016 at 10:24am:
Perhaps the LP convention delegates don't care about picking someone that a majority of people will be willing to choose over Hillary and The Donald.

I'm hoping they will ignore the name-recognition factor and choose the most popular candidate among Libertarian voters.  Truth is the LP could run Donald Duck as the 3rd Party contender and still garner a good percentage of votes in the General.

Sure, name recognition plays a big part in the way some voters choose a candidate - especially for POTUS.  But I'm gonna give some credit to the majority of the voter bloc. They realize the profound deficit of qualifications by Hillary and The Donald.

Whether the 3rd Party candidate is Petersen, Johnson, or McAfee,  the Libertarian contender will make a mark during this election cycle. And will make an even BIGGER mark during the next....  Sowing the seeds.

Eventually,  the Democrats and Republicans will merge to form the new Taxation and Entanglement Party. It will be very poular at first, but the glamour will wear off quickly.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Ally w/ Green Party of US for unity chads for PotUSes&VPotUSes? edited
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy