Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Ally w/ Green Party of US for unity chads for PotUSes&VPotUSes? edited
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ally w/ Green Party of US for unity chads for PotUSes&VPotUSes? edited (Read 10466 times)
Billie
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Ally w/ Green Party of US for unity chads for PotUSes&VPotUSes? edited
Reply #200 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Dec 9th, 2017 at 2:28pm:
"For many years, I was a big-L Libertarian, competing in a crowded field for the party's nomination for the presidency in 2016. Changing parties – especially at this time – might seem like a counterintuitive move."

"But although turncoats like John McCain and Susan Collins have taken center stage and confused the party's image, several Republican leaders remain faithful to basic conservative principles."

"I believe in these core conservative principles... And I'm eager to partner with liberty-loving Republicans and President Trump in restoring federalism, freedom of faith, and fiscal responsibility in this country."

- Austin Petersen
People campaigning for office frequently talk about what they "believe".

Those "Liberty-loving Republicans"?... there are five of them... and President Trump?

Peterson believed Trump was a Liberty loving Republican?

That right there exposed him as a fool willing to say anything in hopes of advancing his political career. But really, how stupid do you have to be to portray yourself as The Donald's ideological ally while you are trying to claim you are a libertarian? Oh wait, sorry, now he claims to be Trumps ally in restoring liberty in America, as a Republican...

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #201 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Dec 9th, 2017 at 2:28pm:
"For many years, I was a big-L Libertarian, competing in a crowded field for the party's nomination for the presidency in 2016. Changing parties – especially at this time – might seem like a counterintuitive move."

"But although turncoats like John McCain and Susan Collins have taken center stage and confused the party's image, several Republican leaders remain faithful to basic conservative principles."

"I believe in these core conservative principles... And I'm eager to partner with liberty-loving Republicans and President Trump in restoring federalism, freedom of faith, and fiscal responsibility in this country."

- Austin Petersen

Wow, Petersen is delusional

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #202 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 11:31am
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Dec 9th, 2017 at 3:41pm:
Wow, Petersen is delusional

Yes. A huge disappointment for many people.  He perfomed very well against John McAfee and Gary Johnson in last year's Libertarian Prez debate(s) hosted by John Stossel.  Petersen was the clear winner by the audience poll.  He seemed more like a Ron Paul-type libertarian than the other two.

Poor Gary Johnson choked when asked about the gay wedding cake issue.  He said the government should force the baker to bake the gay wedding cake.  A few people in the audience gasped in disbelief.

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #203 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 11:44am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Dec 10th, 2017 at 11:31am:
Yes. A huge disappointment for many people.  He perfomed very well against John McAfee and Gary Johnson in last year's Libertarian Prez debate(s) hosted by John Stossel.  Petersen was the clear winner by the audience poll.  He seemed more like a Ron Paul-type libertarian than the other two.

Poor Gary Johnson choked when asked about the gay wedding cake issue.  He said the government should force the baker to bake the gay wedding cake.  A few people in the audience gasped in disbelief.

Yeah, Gary was trying to prove he wasn't prejudiced against a group, that he thought they had the same rights as everybody else. It's easy to get caught up in group think, especially when you get hammered by everybody as a bigot if you don't go along with it. And talking/thinking about rights is hard too, when all you constantly hear about is "rights" to equal outcomes. Equal outcomes just sounds so good!

Where Gary really blew it was not knowing that Aleppo is a rare genetic disease with no hope for a cure unless stem cell research is allowed to go forward unconstrained.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #204 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 11:48am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Dec 10th, 2017 at 11:31am:

I didn't know that, but I'm not surprised.  You may have noticed every time I talk about Gary, I say every time he's asked a question, he looks like he's trying to figure out what his position is supposed to be.  Another example that I have that right.

The one thing I don't like about the wedding cake debate is that not baking the cake is always justified with religion.  What is far more serious is the idea that government has a legitimate power to use force to compel any citizen to perform services for another.  It's pure tyranny and another example of my point our government is now completely illegitimate.  That's a pure violation of the Fifth Amendment.  The baker has committed no crime and yet is having both his property and liberty directly infringed on by government. 

All preemptive business regulations are a direct violation of the fifth amendment for that reason.  My businesses (I've owned five) were my property.  And yet my liberty and property were routinely infringed on by government and yet I was never even charged with a crime.

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #205 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
Billie wrote on Dec 10th, 2017 at 11:44am:
Where Gary really blew it was not knowing that Aleppo is a rare genetic disease with no hope for a cure unless stem cell research is allowed to go forward unconstrained.

I had spent a couple of years trying to persuade one of my neices to join the Libertarian party (she IS a libertarian, but thinks she's a democrat because all of her friends are).

Everything was going great until the Aleppo thing.  So now I have to start from scratch.   Angry

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #206 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Dec 10th, 2017 at 12:08pm:
I had spent a couple of years trying to persuade one of my neices to join the Libertarian party (she IS a libertarian, but thinks she's a democrat because all of her friends are).

Everything was going great until the Aleppo thing.  So now I have to start from scratch.   Angry

Trying to base her changing to the Libertarian Party based on Gary was always going to be a losing battle.  It was difficult for me to vote for him.  He's not a libertarian.  I had conflicting principles that I so disliked all candidates in every party, but I will always vote.  I finally was left with that if I was going to vote, it had to be for Johnson.  As I was in the voting both, I thought one last time, "can I vote for Trump?"  The answer was no, so I finally did vote for Johnson.

If she's hesitant, Gary's sure not going to pull her across the finish line, I don't blame her.  Though you're implying she voted for Hillary.  There is nothing less libertarian than that.

My brother's wife, life long leftist in a leftist family did start voting for libertarians.  The reason?  She became ... a business owner.  She learned very quickly how intensely Democrats hate business in this country.  My brother is a libertarian too, he wasn't trying to push her to them

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #207 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Politics in the US isn't fair and the people are easily taken in by non-issues that shouldn't be making the difference. This is first of all, in defense of Gary Johnson on the Aleppo faux pas.

It shouldn't have destroyed him but it unfortunately did. So I can feel empathy for him because US politics is compeltely corrupt and the major parties have experts who are well trained in picking up on that kind of shit and using it to destroy another party's candidate.

Why does it go on? Because Dems. supporters for instance, will take great delight in seeing it used against a Repub. And vice versa. The fukking lowlife buy it completely.

On Gary Johnson explicitly. The truth is, he was a dumb fuk who knew so little that he wouldn't get far anyway, so no real damage was done in his case. If they didn't get him on  Aleppo they would have got him on something as simple like reading the wrong time on his wristwatch because he had it on upside down.

The LP doesn't have anything better on which to draw it seems. Maybe because the pseudo-libertarians have taken over from within?

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #208 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Dec 10th, 2017 at 2:14pm:
Politics in the US isn't fair and the people are easily taken in by non-issues that shouldn't be making the difference. This is first of all, in defense of Gary Johnson on the Aleppo faux pas.

It shouldn't have destroyed him but it unfortunately did.

Gary Johnson's  "Aleppo faux pas" was a huge wake-up call for people who were seriously considering him to be the Commander-In-Chief.  Aleppo was in the headlines everywhere.  Most 6th graders could have pointed to Aleppo on a globe.

It revealed Johnson's disconnect with current events and reality.

True - it didn't cost him the election - Johnson woulda lost without the Aleppo faux pas, but it was a huge wake-up call for the LNC to be more careful when choosing the LP candidate for 2020.

More of Johnson's silly antics during an interview with Kasie Hunt:

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #209 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Dec 10th, 2017 at 6:50pm:
Gary Johnson's  "Aleppo faux pas" was a huge wake-up call for people who were seriously considering him to be the Commander-In-Chief.  Aleppo was in the headlines everywhere.  Most 6th graders could have pointed to Aleppo on a globe.

It revealed Johnson's disconnect with current events and reality.

True - it didn't cost him the election - Johnson woulda lost without the Aleppo faux pas, but it was a huge wake-up call for the LNC to be more careful when choosing the LP candidate for 2020.

More of Johnson's silly antics during an interview with Kasie Hunt:

My first point Chief is that dirty politics has run rampant and it shouldn't. Destroying Johnson on the Aleppo issue should never be used to destroy a politician. And that's just this example and not even considering the rest of them. Gary would have soon enough been found lacking what is important, never mind shit that isn't.

My second point was that Gary was the best the LP could do and that'a a hard cold fact or they would have done better. Was there a politician that sang the party line on even most issues, that wasn't flawed and therefore not to be considered? Maybe?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Ally w/ Green Party of US for unity chads for PotUSes&VPotUSes? edited
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy