Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Trump Economy
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Trump Economy (Read 3161 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

The Trump Economy
Jan 17th, 2017 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
Stock market players have been blessed (unless they screwed up).

Has anyone got a raise?

Connected mega-corporations have expressed a willingness to cooperate with The Donald.

Have any new companies been created?

New cronies have new high paying insider jobs. (OK, a lot of old cronies will still be employed).

Labor market participation is still at very low levels.

Is it really good?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Re: The Trump Economy
Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2017 at 8:38am
Print Post  

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2017 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
This talk of John Henry has opened my eyes! If we just go back to pre-industrial times, everybody can be put to work at some sort of hard labor!

Do you suppose that's The Donald's plan? "He who does not work shall not eat"? And the people who are actually working (the 'proletariat' in mush head terms) will be in charge?

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Jan 19th, 2017 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 18th, 2017 at 5:29pm:
Do you suppose that [exploitation of Labor] is The Donald's plan? "He who does not work shall not eat"? And the people who are actually working (the 'proletariat' in mush head terms) will be in charge?

No. I don't think this is the plan.  I think what he's planning is a watered-down/tweaked version of Reaganomics.

He wants to remove restrictions on business and encourage them to NOT outsource, and keep operations within the US.  He wants to get rid of, (or renegotiate) the terrible Trade Deals which ultimately hurt domestic businesses and kill jobs.

NAFTA will be #1 on the chopping block. 

Like most of his overly-ambitious goals, Trump wants to create 25M jobs and 3.5% annual growth over the next decade.

Good luck with that!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Jan 19th, 2017 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jan 19th, 2017 at 12:37pm:
No. I don't think this is the plan.  I think what he's planning is a watered-down/tweaked version of Reaganomics.

He wants to remove restrictions on business and encourage them to NOT outsource, and keep operations within the US.  He wants to get rid of, (or renegotiate) the terrible Trade Deals which ultimately hurt domestic businesses and kill jobs.

NAFTA will be #1 on the chopping block. 

Like most of his overly-ambitious goals, Trump wants to create 25M jobs and 3.5% annual growth over the next decade.

Good luck with that!

You altered what I said. You changed it.

"He who does not work shall not eat" is not "the exploitation" of labor.

Labor is exploited when the fruits of one's labor are taken, and given to "He who will not work..." (or to the cronies and the parasites who empower them).

BTW, employees are not in charge. Ever. People in charge are called owners. If you want to be in charge, start your own business, or buy one.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Jan 19th, 2017 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jan 19th, 2017 at 12:37pm:
He wants to remove restrictions on business and encourage them to NOT outsource...
I'm thinking that the Wiki definition of "encourage" says that "nudge" is a synonym?

"Not outsourcing" is the death of any sort of worldwide prosperity, and will certainly lead to a shooting war.

IP Logged

bitter clinging swiftie
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Jan 21st, 2017 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Being a blue collar guy in a border state, I am likely to benefit  financially from a biff presidency, at least in the short term. I know that among the ideologically purest of libertarians,  completely open borders and free international trade rank right up there with the NAP as articles of faith, but I cant say I agree.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Jan 21st, 2017 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
Donald Trump misleadingly touts tax cuts of 30 percent for “working people” or 35 percent for “a middle-class family with two children,” adding that Hillary Clinton “wants to raise your taxes up to the sky.”

http://www.factcheck.org/2016/11/trumps-tax-cut-claims/

I work.  Well, sometimes. Will I be eligible for this 30% tax cut for working people?  That would be great.  I can't help but remember the last president-elect who told us "Read my lips - no new taxes!". 

And then proceeded to sign a bunch of tax hikes once he took office.  *facepalm*

I'm thinking Trump wants to lower taxes, but hasn't formulated a plan to actually do it.  To make matters worse, He wants to invest billions of dollars building a wall, rebuilding infrastructure, building 52 new Naval warships at a cost of ~$.9T, and miscellaneous other stuff.

All that stuff is going to cost money.  So He can have his tax cuts, or he can have his warships. But he can't have both.  Trump's advisers should have made this clear to him. This is 5th-grade math.   They should be fired.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Jan 22nd, 2017 at 10:56am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jan 21st, 2017 at 3:24pm:
Donald Trump misleadingly touts tax cuts of 30 percent for “working people” or 35 percent for “a middle-class family with two children,” adding that Hillary Clinton “wants to raise your taxes up to the sky.”

http://www.factcheck.org/2016/11/trumps-tax-cut-claims/

I work.  Well, sometimes. Will I be eligible for this 30% tax cut for working people?  That would be great.  I can't help but remember the last president-elect who told us "Read my lips - no new taxes!". 

And then proceeded to sign a bunch of tax hikes once he took office.  *facepalm*

I'm thinking Trump wants to lower taxes, but hasn't formulated a plan to actually do it.  To make matters worse, He wants to invest billions of dollars building a wall, rebuilding infrastructure, building 52 new Naval warships at a cost of ~$.9T, and miscellaneous other stuff.

All that stuff is going to cost money.  So He can have his tax cuts, or he can have his warships. But he can't have both.  Trump's advisers should have made this clear to him. This is 5th-grade math.   They should be fired.

You already know I think Trump is a master politician... which means I believe he was saying what he thought was necessary to get elected.
You also already know I don't believe it's possible to tell what Trump really believes or intends to do, based on his campaign rhetoric.
We'll just have to wait and see what Congress allows Trump to actually do... There are a lot of new people in Congress too, so I don't think it's possible yet to tell what Congress will do...

One thing I am sure of is that there is still massive uncertainty regarding what the government will do, and massive uncertainty about government policy makes people very hesitant to invest or spend money.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
We need to keep a close eye on all this, lest it degenerate into violent revolution, tyranny and a World War of unimaginable horror.

Stir up your Representatives, let them know we are in charge.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Trump Economy
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy