Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Trump Economy
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Trump Economy (Read 4347 times)
The Opposition
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: The Trump Economy
Reply #140 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jun 6th, 2017 at 10:34pm:
Can't you see how flawed this premise is? Your "safety" is a fantasy.  What you consider a "safe" zone where no guns are allowed, I consider the most hazardous place to be.  The best locale for a bad person who wants to harm "soft" targets is a place where people lack the will (and/or the means) to defend themselves.

Bad people prey on the defenseless.

Well, I'm assuming that "gun-free" zones are more safe, and going from there.

Even if this is true, I'm trying to build a case that it's not wrong for two people who live on a deserted island, if they both agree, to ignore safety-first, even if that is the default priority.

Loads of people want to do dangerous things and if the affect only themselves, or even only eachother (see, this is the case I'm trying to make), no one else's safety is impacted so no one else has any right to complain.

There's a subjective valuation that goes on here; when any person declares any other person's priorities to be stupid or wrong. No one would give up 100% of their fun for just one second of extra life, and no one would give up 100% of their life for just one second of fun or happiness or freedom or whatever. Most people fall somewhere in the middle and everyone's valuation is set by nothing more than their arbitrary valuations. I'm trying to show that.

So let's say we have a really big deserted island just for people who choose liberty over safety. What's wrong about that?

Well, we do have that. It's called the United States of America.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #141 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jun 6th, 2017 at 10:42pm:

There is no more flawed an assumption as this. ^    The only plausible argument is:

Bad people prey on the defenseless.

Which is irrefutable.

They crush their victims under the wheels of heavy vehicles.  They spray their bullets into crowds of unsuspecting victims. They hack and slash with sharp blades.

There are lots of ways to injure/kill defenseless people. The more defenseless the victims are, the easier it is to inflict harm on them.

Instead of demonizing the people who want to defend themselves, perhaps we need to demonize the ones who hope they don't (or won't).

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #142 - Jul 14th, 2017 at 8:34am
Print Post  

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #143 - Jul 14th, 2017 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Don't go to places where there are lots of people and no gun.

Roughly quoted.

So make the children's schools and commercial aircraft places to carry guns?

There's no rational discussion possible because the emotional and extremist gungoons are not going to allow it. Best for me to just continue to mock the whole thing.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #144 - Jul 14th, 2017 at 11:39am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jun 6th, 2017 at 10:42pm:

Why would you assume that "gun-free" zones are more safe?  A gun-free zone is the best place to commit a crime with a gun because the victim(s) cannot defend themselves.

If a person was using a carbine rifle with a high-capacity clip(s), and he wanted to killl the largest number of people in the shortest period of time, the best place to do it would a "gun-free" zone where there a lot of unarmed people in a confined area, such as a school, or a movie theatre, or a night/dance club, etc..

Not surprisingly, these places are historically where terrorists do their dirty work.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #145 - Jul 14th, 2017 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jul 14th, 2017 at 11:39am:
Why would you assume that "gun-free" zones are more safe?  A gun-free zone is the best place to commit a crime with a gun because the victim(s) cannot defend themselves.

If a person was using a carbine rifle with a high-capacity clip(s), and he wanted to killl the largest number of people in the shortest period of time, the best place to do it would a "gun-free" zone where there a lot of unarmed people in a confined area, such as a school, or a movie theatre, or a night/dance club, etc..

Not surprisingly, these places are historically where terrorists do their dirty work.

You're jumping to wrong conclusions Chief. The places where the killers chose to strike just happened to be gun free zones in a lot of cases. But too, there are numerous examples of killers striking in places where there are lots of guns allowed.

If I were going to attempt to kill people with a gun, I would choose the group of people I hold a grudge against. This is what happened in a couple of instances worth referring to in order to disprove your theory.

The Giffords case where a citizen carrying a gun was unable to help out.

The case of the army guy who did his killing on the military base where there were likely lost of people packing heat.

The killer chose his victims, regardless of whether there were going to be other guns present to use against him.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #146 - Jul 14th, 2017 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Makes on think doesn't it! What kind of a sick fu-king mind would try to prioritize the issue of guns present or no guns present, in the case of the school massacre that cost 19 lives?

Think on it for a while Chief. You've better than that, even though you have to pout for a while.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #147 - Jul 14th, 2017 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Jul 14th, 2017 at 11:32am:
Don't go to places where there are lots of people and no gun.

It's still a sort of free country in some ways. Go wherever you want to.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #148 - Jul 15th, 2017 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Jul 14th, 2017 at 12:34pm:
The case of the army guy who did his killing on the military base where there were likely lost of people packing heat

Wrong, they weren't allowed to take guns into the mess where the shooting took place. It was another gun free zone.

Don_G wrote on Jul 14th, 2017 at 12:34pm:
The killer chose his victims, regardless of whether there were going to be other guns present to use against him.

Riiiiggghhhhhttttttt, they just coincidentally (wink wink) keep picking gun free zones.

Columbine, Aurora, Virginia Tech, Fort Hood, The Washington Navy Yard, Newtown, Pulse, San Bernardino, 9/11, coincidences all!

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #149 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 6:58am
Print Post  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Trump Economy