Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Is Trump's Travel Ban For Muslims Un-Constitutional?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Is Trump's Travel Ban For Muslims Un-Constitutional? (Read 9462 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Is Trump's Travel Ban For Muslims Un-Constitutional?
Reply #260 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Jun 27th, 2018 at 11:40am:
Jeff, you cannot possibly know if a Muslim will end up being a terrorist or not.
I spent some time talking to Dennis Mahon while we carpooled, and it didn't take long at all to understand that he was likely to become a terrorist.

But of course, as you say, certainty is not possible with any human.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #261 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
The Travel Ban is keeping out Muslim Doctors and Americans are dying.

Take a look at the countries targeted by Trump’s travel ban. The most recent estimates from the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education indicate there are more than 10,000 licensed physicians in the U.S. who graduated from medical school in the countries named in the original executive order. These are practicing physicians in communities big and small ― ER doctors providing emergency care, obstetricians delivering babies in the middle of the night, pediatricians taking care of young children.

Those of us who work in the medical field know our health care system is losing some of the world’s most talented and caring young doctors.   

The Supreme Court has delivered a decision in line with the likes of Korematsu and Dred Scott ― shameful moments in our history in which the court also gave in to bigotry at the expense of justice and equality.

America has slammed the door shut on an entire generation of physicians.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/opinion-khan-travel-ban_us_5b437ccfe4b0c523...

I think that any resourceful young Muslim physician could easily go to a country not listed in the Travel Ban, and apply for residency under the H-1B Visa protocol.

http://www.visadoctors.com/intro/areas-view/medical-visas/

All this hand-wringing in the Huffington Post article is just a lot of....     huff.

IP Logged

SicklersDink
Ex Member

Reply #262 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 6:31pm:
The Travel Ban is keeping out Muslim Doctors and Americans are dying.

Take a look at the countries targeted by Trump’s travel ban. The most recent estimates from the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education indicate there are more than 10,000 licensed physicians in the U.S. who graduated from medical school in the countries named in the original executive order. These are practicing physicians in communities big and small ― ER doctors providing emergency care, obstetricians delivering babies in the middle of the night, pediatricians taking care of young children.

Those of us who work in the medical field know our health care system is losing some of the world’s most talented and caring young doctors.   

The Supreme Court has delivered a decision in line with the likes of Korematsu and Dred Scott ― shameful moments in our history in which the court also gave in to bigotry at the expense of justice and equality.

America has slammed the door shut on an entire generation of physicians.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/opinion-khan-travel-ban_us_5b437ccfe4b0c523...

I think that any resourceful young Muslim physician could easily go to a country not listed in the Travel Ban, and apply for residency under the H-1B Visa protocol.

http://www.visadoctors.com/intro/areas-view/medical-visas/

All this hand-wringing in the Huffington Post article is just a lot of....     huff.

Gee Chief, I'm not so sure that supporting a travel ban is all that consistent with our libertarian principles. Not only is it an advocation to close borders, it's actually sticking it right down the throats of libertarians.

I as a libertarian, think it's against our principles. Even though I understand that completely open borders is silly nonsense. I still think the idea is good if taken to moderation.

Are you now suggesting that the idea be thrown out completely?

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #263 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I as a libertarian, think it's against our principles. Even though I understand that completely open borders is silly nonsense. I still think the idea is good if taken to moderation.

Are you now suggesting that the[open borders] idea be thrown out completely?

No, I've come up with a splendid plan that is a pragmatic way to have "open borders" without having criminals and terrorists running amok in the US. 

With my Guest Visa plan, people from ANY country can come to the US, once they complete a vetting process to identify criminals and terrorists.

With my Guest Visa plan, Trump's Travel Ban becomes obsolete, and can be discarded!   Smiley

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #264 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Gee Chief, I'm not so sure that supporting a travel ban is all that consistent with our libertarian principles.
So because I intend to try to keep barbarians out of my neighborhood, I can't be a "real" libertarian?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #265 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 7:31pm:
No, I've come up with a splendid plan that is a pragmatic way to have "open borders" without having criminals and terrorists running amok in the US. 

With my Guest Visa plan, people from ANY country can come to the US, once they complete a vetting process to identify criminals and terrorists.

The U.S. does that now Chief, except for issuing guest worker visas in any worthwhile number.

Work on Congress to get them to implement your plan.

Of course there is a problem with "refugee" visas... Are they vetted?

IP Logged

SicklersDink
Ex Member

Reply #266 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
My boss is right Chief, the time for talking about it has passed and now it's time for action.

How about you petition congress to adopt your plan. I think that all the libertarians on this forum will give it the consideration it deserves.

Depending on how you word it I might sign it myself!

I would suggest something like:

Libertarians demand that all people coming to the US be charged $500. The government could then pass it on to the appropriate private company to administer. Like MacDonald's or Disney world. Or maybe Fox News in care of Shawn Hannity?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #267 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Quote:
My boss is right Chief, the time for talking about it has passed and now it's time for action.

How about you petition congress to adopt your plan. I think that all the libertarians on this forum will give it the consideration it deserves.

Depending on how you word it I might sign it myself!

I would suggest something like:

Libertarians demand that all people coming to the US be charged $500. The government could then pass it on to the appropriate private company to administer. Like MacDonald's or Disney world. Or maybe Fox News in care of Shawn Hannity?
It's more likely that the contract would go to some current crony business involved in Homeland Security.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #268 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 7:34pm:
The U.S. does that now Chief, except for issuing guest worker visas in any worthwhile number.

The problem with guest worker visas is that they are very hard to get.  The applicant must have at least a bachelor's degree and be highly-skilled in some field.

This excludes a lot of people who want to come to the US, but lack the education and skills required of H-1B Visa candidates.

This is why so many immigration advocates favor my Guest Visa plan over the H-1B visa.

It's a great libertarian solution to a problem that seems too difficult for Dems and republicans to solve!

Work on Congress to get them to implement your plan.

I did. Problem is, my representative is Maxine Waters - the undisputed most corrupt member of Congress.   Cry   Not surprisingly, all of my letters to her go right in the shit-can.

Of course there is a problem with "refugee" visas... Are they vetted?

Guest Visas will solve this problem, too.   The whole process takes less than 20 minutes.

"Refugee" (asylum) visas can take days or even weeks to process.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #269 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 7:51pm:
The problem with guest worker visas is that they are very hard to get - the applicant must have a bachelor's degree and be highly-skilled in some field.

And they won't even issue enough of those.

Guest worker visas are what we need, with the opportunity to apply for citizenship, which are also sorely lacking.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Is Trump's Travel Ban For Muslims Un-Constitutional?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy