Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › freeing school
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) freeing school (Read 5338 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: freeing school
Reply #160 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Dec 13th, 2018 at 10:44am:
How are you going to stop the media from showing them high school dropouts who become millionaire basketball players and gang-bangers turned rappers who earn more in a year than a teacher with a masters degree earns in a lifetime?

Teach them math and a few basic things about statistics, so they can figure their chances of actually becoming successful in such ways.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #161 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
Are you going to tell them that all of the funds for their education was provided by forcible confiscation?
Yes, tell them their parents and neighbors are being taxed to provide them with the opportunity to learn. They need to know that money for schools and teachers and books doesn't just fall from the sky.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #162 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
How soon should unmotivated kids be gotten rid of?  First week of kindergarten?  Third grade after they've already had three years to disrupt other students' educations?

Which government officials are you confident can be trusted to make life-altering decisions about these children?

Teachers and school administrators are best positioned to make such decisions, but I'd say anytime after 9th grade would be a good time to give them the boot, although disruptive children should be removed from the classroom any time they are disruptive.

I also think it would be a good idea to send first graders home if the are not ready for school. That would involve the parents, perhaps focus their minds. Michigan public schools used to require that children know how to read before they were admitted into the schools. That's a pretty good idea too... Local schools under local control are the key, and they can make different decisions about these sorts of things, as the parents and teacher and administrators and school board members decide.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #163 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Dec 13th, 2018 at 2:17pm:
Yes, tell them their parents and neighbors are being taxed to provide them with the opportunity to learn. They need to know that money for schools and teachers and books doesn't just fall from the sky.

"The best way to teach your kids about Taxes is by eating 30% of their ice cream." - Bill Murray

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #164 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Dec 13th, 2018 at 2:30pm:
"The best way to teach your kids about Taxes is by eating 30% of their ice cream." - Bill Murray
Right. Make sure they've paid for the ice cream with money they earned.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #165 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Dec 13th, 2018 at 2:25pm:
Teachers and school administrators are best positioned to make such decisions, but I'd say anytime after 9th grade would be a good time to give them the boot, although disruptive children should be removed from the classroom any time they are disruptive.

I also think it would be a good idea to send first graders home if the are not ready for school. That would involve the parents, perhaps focus their minds. Michigan public schools used to require that children know how to read before they were admitted into the schools. That's a pretty good idea too... Local schools under local control are the key, and they can make different decisions about these sorts of things, as the parents and teacher and administrators and school board members decide.

If people paid for their own children's education with their own money, all of these good ideas (and I admit, they are that) would be done.

As it is, none of this will ever happen.

Right now, as a creature of the State, school is firmly in the realm of politics, and the people with the disruptive children have the numbers, and thus the power.

But you know that, don't you?

Just as you know school is more about dragging down people like me than lifting up anyone else. But that's what politics does.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #166 - Dec 14th, 2018 at 7:32am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Dec 13th, 2018 at 11:50pm:
If people paid for their own children's education with their own money, all of these good ideas (and I admit, they are that) would be done.

As it is, none of this will ever happen.

Right now, as a creature of the State, school is firmly in the realm of politics, and the people with the disruptive children have the numbers, and thus the power.

But you know that, don't you?

Just as you know school is more about dragging down people like me than lifting up anyone else. But that's what politics does.
I just read that some state (I forget which... Wisconsin?) instituted a statewide voucher program for it's schools.

Let's see what happens... Of course it's not a really good voucher program like I advocate, but it will help. Local funding and local control are the real answers in my opinion.

As I have told many school age children, part of school is training for real life, when you will often have to work for bad bosses and with a wide variety of other people, some of them as dumb as a box of rocks. Learning how to deal with such situations is better done in school than at your first job. Smiley

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #167 - Dec 14th, 2018 at 8:48am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Dec 13th, 2018 at 5:16pm:
Right. Make sure they've paid for the ice cream with money they earned.

Ah, just tell them that "everyone pretty much agrees" that all the children in "the community" should have the opportunity for ice cream and that they are being selfish and unthinking for not realizing that everyone benefits when all children are eating ice cream instead of joining gangs and vandalizing cars.

I'm surprised you didn't think of that, Jeff.  It fits in so well with your social justice philosophy.

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

AlayneLeung

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #168 - Dec 14th, 2018 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Jeff, I don't think students currently get proportionally paid for doing schoolwork in school district that I live in.  What should be done is amend international law to provide for every teacher and every student to be directly proportionally paid from an international government treasury that isn't paid by "voluntary donations" or "taxes" or "obligatory investments" or "whatever", but instead that treasury would provide direct proportional amounts of money to teachers and to students for their educaring skills.  The teaching and studying would obey international textbooks intellectual property laws of copyleft and copymodifiable and copyright.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #169 - Dec 14th, 2018 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Dec 14th, 2018 at 8:48am:
Ah, just tell them that "everyone pretty much agrees" that all the children in "the community" should have the opportunity for ice cream and that they are being selfish and unthinking for not realizing that everyone benefits when all children are eating ice cream instead of joining gangs and vandalizing cars.

I'm surprised you didn't think of that, Jeff.  It fits in so well with your social justice philosophy.

Make them pay for the ice cream with money they earned, then take half of the ice cream they bought and eat it yourself, or give some of it to strangers.

Tell them to think about it and try to learn, but not to neglect their chores.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › freeing school
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy