Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › freeing school
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) freeing school (Read 3221 times)
endpubed

Libertarian's Forum

freeing school
Mar 12th, 2017 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
free school would get no regulation from the state

Smiley

like hong kong adn usa of 1800s unregulated commerce leads to giant gains, including ending of slavery

youtube yaron brook and tom leykis, thank me later

IP Logged

merkelstan
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: freeing school
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2017 at 7:02am
Print Post  
It sounds conspiratorial but many of the proponents of government schooling explicitly advocated it as a vehicle for govt. mind-control ("promoting civic virtue")

Do you support vouchers?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2017 at 9:19am
Print Post  
merkelstan wrote on Mar 13th, 2017 at 7:02am:
It sounds conspiratorial but many of the proponents of government schooling explicitly advocated it as a vehicle for govt. mind-control ("promoting civic virtue")

Promoting civic virtue was something schools did when they were under local control and being paid for locally. What they meant by it was teaching the basics of our American system of government and how it protected all our liberties. Strangely enough, they also thought children should be taught basic morality, Do Unto Others and suchlike things... Basic Kindergarten stuff, don't hit them or take their toys. They imagined that our system of government required such basically moral people in order to function properly.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2017 at 9:57am
Print Post  
No such thing as "free" anything.  Someone has to pay for it.

You haven't been listening to Bernie, have you?   Bernie believes in free stuff.  Beliefs like that get countries in trouble.

Here's a crazy idea:  How about  having the parents provide for their children's education?  They can home-school them, they can hire a tutor,  they can send then to a private school,,,, lots of options.  But they cant send them to a "free" school because there ain't no such thing.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Mar 13th, 2017 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
I think the OP meant freeing schools from government control...

But parents could also do what they did in the beginning of America, create their own local schools, hire their own teachers, decide on the curriculum, buy their own textbooks and pay for it all with local property taxes. Lots of communities (most of them) thought that was a good idea when they were free to do it. (Anarchists will not agree...)

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Mar 13th, 2017 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
endpubed wrote on Mar 12th, 2017 at 11:33pm:
like hong kong adn usa of 1800s unregulated commerce leads to giant gains, including ending of slavery
I thought the War to End Slavery in America ended slavery in America... You attribute it to free markets?

Can you make the connection for me? I can't do it.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Mar 13th, 2017 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Mar 13th, 2017 at 3:10pm:
I think the OP meant freeing schools from government control...

Oh!    Well, I'm all for getting education out of the government!  er, I mean getting the government out of education.  Smiley

Jeff wrote on Mar 13th, 2017 at 3:10pm:
But parents could also do what they did in the beginning of America, create their own local schools, hire their own teachers, decide on the curriculum, buy their own textbooks and pay for it all with local property taxes. Lots of communities (most of them) thought that was a good idea when they were free to do it. (Anarchists will not agree...)

I wonder who paid for the schools and the teachers before property taxes.  Im guessing the Parents paid for all that stuff.  Which makes sense, because it is the parents who benefit from the convenience of having their students taught in a co-op school.

I dont want my property tax to be used to benefit a handful of parents who don't care to be burdened with the task of teaching their own children. Property taxes should be used for things that benefit the community, like Fire Dept, Police Dept., Public Library, Parks & Rec Dept,  Public Works,  etc etc..

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Mar 13th, 2017 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Mar 13th, 2017 at 5:23pm:
I thought the War to End Slavery in America ended slavery in America... You attribute it to free markets?

I know how it happened. Lincoln put "Free slaves?" on the ballot and everyone voted yes.

Cheesy

Shockingly relevant. Always witty. Thank you.

*bow*

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

AlayneLeung

Libertarian's Forum

Ideas for freeing schools 1 through 16
Reply #8 - May 21st, 2017 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
My friend's http://www.MUM.edu like ideas to free schools:

1, schedule students according to the courses they want to take so that way, students that excel in a course are less likely to be harassed by other students that don't perform well in said course;

2, i totally agree with the character Bright Noah from the video game Gundam: Journey to Jaburo that when people who are very skilled are mixed with those that are not very skilled problems will arise so what happens is that in school students who don't have high IQs are jealous of those that do have high IQs and students who don't have high athletic ability are jealous of those that do have high athletic ability; such jealousy leads to fights; and thus students shall be further scheduled on their IQs and athletic abilities;

3, it's been proven that students learn better when they get to sit in class next to their friends, so teachers must allow students to sit next to their friends and not have assigned seating;

4, provide totally optional nonmandatory free summer school for students who want to take school courses ahead of the general school year and/or after the general school year so said students can accomplish more

5, proportional rehabilitation actions for students and faculty that bully other students/faculty - such bullying conflicts can be but are not necessarily limited to: punching, poking, thumping, kicking, biting, head bunting, stomping, hitting others with objects, throwing objects at others, slamming others into objects, etc.; sexual mistreatment, mental mistreatment, and/or emotional mistreatment; and proportional punishments for theft also; however, in cases of murder, rape, false imprionsment, kidnapping, and/or physical/sexual battery, i do recommend expulsion and having youths locked up for years multiplied by the total number of assailants in said case;

6, have the following courses available in middle school as optional semester courses: philosophy and parenting;

7, give students information to study for nonduplicitious equivalency standardized tests and give students those tests to complete; if a student passes a test, then he/she automatically passes a course and does not have to take said course; when I went to high school that's what we did with our math courses, have teachers complete nonduplicitious standardized tests also; such tests can determine how much students are comprehending such as images, words, letters, numbers, scents, sounds, etc.; but must not be the sole curricula; in other words, students shouldn't have to spend all their classroom time studying for tests; they must be taught how to critically and innovatively think also. democratize classrooms so that students can decide the dates they complete testss, but standardized test must be prohibited from accounting for more than 6% of a student's grade for any course(s) standardized tests are for;

edited part each standardized test must account for at least 80% of a student's grade (Sailor Venus was trying to teach me that i'm too trusting when i posted her initial recommendation to me for 6%)

8, enable schools to set up places in middle and high schools that can get people registered to vote since there are youths that are 14, 15, 16, 17 are employed;

9, have less shop courses and more language courses available because hardware stores can teach people how to use tools such as hammers whereas languages are in the public domain (for the most part) and must therefore be taught by teachers; and by having students study languages, they can be prepared to be diplomatic to people that reside in other countries which will greatly reduce the chance for warfare; shop courses must be ended because they prepare students to make weapons in factories;

10, no obligatory uniforms for students (they cause interschool fights including gunfights) but a multicolored peace symbol for each student to wear to promote peacefulness amongst diversity;

11, proportionally pay students when they perform well at school as a basic income bonus - this will get them to want to care about education and thus high school dropout rates will decrease significantly;

12, increase pay for teachers; i recommend a minimum yearly salary of $120k a year adjusted for inflation;

13, require teachers to want their students to become more educated than them because some teachers are scared they'll become unnecessary if students are developing good comprehension skills that are superior to teachers' comprehension skills;

14, allow students to bring their own food to school since each student and his/her parent(s)/legal guardian understands what's best for him/her

15, a totally optional course in high school that would discuss many religions (Christianity, Jewish, Wicca, Taoism, Buddhism, Islam, Goddess, etc.); and since this course would discuss many religions and is totally optional, it would not violate the First Amendment; and a totally optional gardening course to enable students and school officials to grow their own food to eat during breakfast and/or lunch at school;

16, according to Bill Maher meat contains steroids due to how farmers put steroids in animals to make them bigger and these animals cause people that eat them to be aggressive due to the steroids chemicals; and aggressive people commit violent actions like fights, rapes, and murder and these do happen at schools, so therefore public schools will neither sell nor give meat to students or faulty;

IP Logged

AlayneLeung

Libertarian's Forum

Ideas for freeing schools 17 through 44
Reply #9 - May 21st, 2017 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
17, seatbelts on all school buses for all passengers and of course school bus drivers;

18, reterm schools "education improvment and development facilities";

19, to encourage students to graduate from high school, place photographs of non-political yet successful people in every classroom;

20, parent(s)/legal guardian(s) involvement of their children's education should be encouraged but not obligatory due to how some children each only have 1 parent/legal guardian;

21, reinterpret the word "read" as an acronym that stands for:
recognize (as in comprehend information)
experience (allow comprehended information to be tried out by students, if possible)
apply (as in use experienced comprehended information to real life situations, if possible)
direct (as in to get students to have other people use applied experienced comprehended information, if possible);

22, teach empathy, ethics, laws, and kindness to teachers and students so there'll be less crime especially violent crime;

23, prerequisites for each student that wants to graduate from high school to get at least: a B- in World Geography to nullify the so called “Flat” Earth Society’s belief system and US “Southerners” belief systems given how all US states are North of the equator (no offense, of course), an A- of matrixes of Algebra II to provide for good driving/piloting, at least three course years of English, passing of at least three course years of non-English language(s), a C- in high school US History so people won't make the same mistakes made by previous generations, an A- in high school physics, and recitation of the entire United States of America Constitution and all Amendments of it to prevent the rise of dictatorships;

24, more teaching about technology and consumer math;

25, reterm 4 year degrees earned by women/girls as "bachelorette degrees" to recognize that women are capable of achieving degrees;

26, abolish the unconstitutional Selective Service System for more funding of education;

27, a police officer teaching assistant in each classroom to stop violence and to assist teachers that have students necessitating more comphrehension assistance (such officer must have a 4 year degree with at least a C+ from an accredited college/university);

28, allow birthday parties to be celebrated at schools;

29, mandate intercountry penpal friendships of students and faculty by use of the world wide web and, if possible, visiting of other countries to deter violence and war;

30, teaching of life awareness like firs aid & Heimlich Maneuver & CPR, good health, good environment, good civics, etc.;

31, require for high school graduation that students don't knowingly and willfully drink alcohol and/or consume tobacco and/or use illegal drugs since these poisons cause health problems that cost taxpayers so much $;

32, alow each student to place on his/her chair a soft cushion to sit on because the more comfortable students are, the more focused they can be on comprehending curricula;

33, have one or more plants in each classroom to recirculate oxygen & carbon dioxide cycle so students and school officials can breathe easier (improved breathing = improved performance at schools);

34, Allow magic to be taught as an elective to 18+ years of age students since the Masters of the Far East know how to use magic to teleport their bodies, materialize things out of thin air, fly by levitating their bodies;

35, have college/university credits worth more proportionally by students that take them in their elementary, middle school, and/or high school years;

36, have video games in public schools to help develop students' problem solving skills 37, since we're going improve education, then we must have the courage to raise expectations, and so that's why i'm proposing for earning at least a C- to graduate from high school;

38, we must stop promoting failing students to the next grade(s) and we must stop giving up on them;

39, how about for each person that has graduated from high school or will graduate from high school that (s)he may vote twice in any election and/or for any legislation;

40, allow for unique and/or innovative teaching ways to be used as long as testing standards at least 80% of them are answered correctly;

41, investigate and end the employment of corrupt teachers that are predudice due to racism, sexism, homophobia, disability, creed, and so on;

42, i'd like for more students and faculty to be in National Honor Society but with guidelines as to how to be in NHS, and require the participation in sports or requiring a B- or higher physical education grade necessary to join NHS since there's much obesity in the US;

43, allow for each student to decide & determine his/her own origin, i.e., evolution and/or intelligent design (God, Goddess, "I think therefore I am", extra-terrestrial designer(s), human designer(s) including the use of magic, etc.);

44, "video cameras in all rooms (except restrooms because in restrooms there can be infrared cameras) and also video cameras in all hallways to record illegal behavior(s) to use as evidence during trial(s) in court(s) of law";

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › freeing school
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy