Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › freeing school
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) freeing school (Read 10526 times)
Don_G
Ex Member

Re: freeing school
Reply #80 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Feb 28th, 2018 at 10:55am:
So the emancipation proclamation was a farce?

I had no idea it was so soundly and completely hated and resented so much by the south. No foreigner would unless he/she immersed themselves in such discussions with Americans on the slavery issue.

This is not just a problem with skin colour, it runs right to the American bone!

IP Logged

Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #81 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Feb 28th, 2018 at 10:55am:
So the emancipation proclamation was a farce?

It proclaimed the slaves in a foreign nation to be free. Even if you think the rebellious states were still part of the Union, Lincoln had no power to free them.

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #82 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Feb 28th, 2018 at 1:52pm:
It proclaimed the slaves in a foreign nation to be free. Even if you think the rebellious states were still part of the Union, Lincoln had no power to free them.

The slaves in a foreign nation? For dog sake, get over it! You've only creating more hard feelings in each other.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #83 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Quote:
The slaves in a foreign nation?
Yes, in the Confederate States of America.

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #84 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Feb 28th, 2018 at 2:00pm:

I fully understand the point. How could anyone miss it when it's been belaboured for months by racists on this board.

That doesn't make it any less ridiculous to keep it up!

Let it go for dog sake sweet ass. It only enflames and enrages people who tend to lean toward their KKK sympathies.

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #85 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Feb 28th, 2018 at 1:52pm:

Right, there was no sincere effort to free slaves in the U.S./C.S. war.  I believe Lincoln even had a general hung for freeing "the wrong" slaves.  Or was it a firing squad or did he just fire him? 

Once the southern states seceded, "free"* states were in the majority very legitimately.  That would have been the time to end slavery, so why didn't they?  You once claimed that the northern states hated slavery so much that "they wanted to fight them" (slave-holding states).  Why would such dedicated abolitionists not taken advantage of having such a large majority?

*Obviously, there was no such thing as a "free state" until the fugitive slave clause was rescinded, but you know what I mean . . .

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #86 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Feb 28th, 2018 at 2:00pm:

Thank you, very genuinely, for admitting that they had the right to secede.

Whether or not they had a right to keep slaves is a separate issue, but a complicated one. We don't generally invade other countries just because they have institutional slavery. Maybe we should, but we don't. And the South wasn't the only place that had slaves in that time.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #87 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Feb 28th, 2018 at 3:59pm:
Right, there was no sincere effort to free slaves in the U.S./C.S. war.  I believe Lincoln even had a general hung for freeing "the wrong" slaves.  Or was it a firing squad or did he just fire him? 

Once the southern states seceded, "free"* states were in the majority very legitimately.  That would have been the time to end slavery, so why didn't they?  You once claimed that the northern states hated slavery so much that "they wanted to fight them" (slave-holding states).  Why would such dedicated abolitionists not taken advantage of having such a large majority?

*Obviously, there was no such thing as a "free state" until the fugitive slave clause was rescinded, but you know what I mean . . .

You're only going to make him worse and cause greater divisions between you two. You know how he ticks. Take the small victories you already have because you're just asking him to snatch them back.

Watch how that works, and if you miss it I'll remind you!

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #88 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Feb 28th, 2018 at 8:49am:
I never changed my answer.  I clarified when I realized how you had not understood me

Bull shit.

You said if Lincoln had issued the emancipation proclamation before the south seceded he would have ended slavery in the United States without a war.

No one would interpret that as your plan was he free the slaves in Northern States thenand let the South go.  You're like Jeff that you can't be honest.  You have to spin no matter how completely ridiculous you look doing it

Contest winner:  I predicted Kaz' meltdown

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #89 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Feb 28th, 2018 at 5:21pm:
You said if Lincoln had issued the emancipation proclamation before the south seceded he would have ended slavery in the United States without a war.

Be honest, both of you. Lincoln had no power to end slavery in America by proclamation or any other means. Presidents have no role at all in changing the Constitution.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › freeing school
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy