Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Why are they laws against victimless crime?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Why are they laws against victimless crime? (Read 1687 times)
kaz
Libertarian Freedom Member

Minarchist

Re: Why are they laws against victimless crime?
Reply #30 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 9:55am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jun 8th, 2017 at 11:20pm:
And who pays for the smokers in that system? Nobody. Nobody will pay for them because they can't pay in enough to pay for the damn cancer which they will get.

I'm not continuing the victim discussion.  To say anyone is a victim because I didn't give them something is categorically shinola.

On this, I already answered this.  If you don't like my answer, go back to what I said and say why it's wrong.  Don't ignore the answer

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #31 - Jun 13th, 2017 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Only Americans are so stupid as to think there are victimless crimes. The very meaning ot the word 'crime' implies there is one or more victims.

IP Logged

merkelstan

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #32 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 12:08am
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Jun 13th, 2017 at 8:50pm:
Only Americans are so stupid as to think there are victimless crimes. The very meaning ot the word 'crime' implies there is one or more victims.

Canadians punish people for thought crimes.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #33 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 8:36am
Print Post  
You grow some pot in your garage and sell some of it to me at an agreed to price... Which one of us is the victim?

Unfortunately, its both of us after we are arrested and jailed and your garage is forfeited!

Being confused so badly makes you say stupid things.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #34 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 11:49am
Print Post  

You made that up.  They don't have dictionaries in Kanada?

So if I smoke a doobie in my living room, who is the victim again?  If two adult gay men have consensual sex, the victim is who again?  If I put a c-spot on a pony, who is the victim again?

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #35 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jun 14th, 2017 at 8:36am:
You grow some pot in your garage and sell some of it to me at an agreed to price... Which one of us is the victim?

Unfortunately, its both of us after we are arrested and jailed and your garage is forfeited!

Being confused so badly makes you say stupid things.

That's an interesting example to explore further.
Laws are in place to prevent trafficing in narcotics
Trafficing in marijuana is against the law.
There are lines drawn by the law to restrict the amount of marijuana that can be sold.
If the amount is not above the limit then there is no crime.
If the amount is over the lawful limit then there is a crime.
Society in the majority has decided that marijuana is harmful to people if used in excess.
Individuals like you and me don't get to decide on that amount.
Allowing any trafficing in marijuana above the legal limit is a crime because it harms people when used to excess.
All crimes produce victims in the eyes of society.

Having said that, my personal preference would be to allow the use of marijuana but I would not allow pushers to get rich on the sale of it. But that's just my preference and i don't matter. Neither do you matter if your opinion is contrary to the law.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #36 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Jun 14th, 2017 at 11:49am:
You made that up.  They don't have dictionaries in Kanada?

So if I smoke a doobie in my living room, who is the victim again?  If two adult gay men have consensual sex, the victim is who again?  If I put a c-spot on a pony, who is the victim again?

We can entertain any and all examples but it's really not necessary. Laws have been passed that will tell you whether or not something is a crime.

On gay consensual sex, I know of no crime being committed in Canada. There probably is in Muslim countries. In Muslim countries it's a crime because there are victims.

But it's an excellent discussion to have with libertarians because libertarians have different priorities than others who are in the majority. This is the 'real' topic isn't it!

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #37 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
On gay consensual sex, I know of no crime being committed in Canada. There probably is in Muslim countries. In Muslim countries it's a crime because there are victims.

In the US it's a crime to burn down a Christian church. My preference would be to encourage all religions, including xtianity to be frowned upon so that eventually the majority would be in favour of burning down all Xtian churches.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #38 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
merkelstan wrote on Jun 14th, 2017 at 12:08am:
Canadians punish people for thought crimes.

So do Cubans.  There is a Libertarian Party in Cuba.  The Policia de Havana raided the home where the Libertarians held their meetings and made arrests for thought crime violations!

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #39 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jun 14th, 2017 at 12:17pm:
So do Cubans.  There is a Libertarian Party in Cuba.  The Policia de Havana raided the home where the Libertarians held their meetings and made arrests for thought crime violations!

You do seem to know a lot about Cuba without even being there.

I think you are getting into the topic of religious intolerance. That's good because it can make this topic even more worthwhile.

But I also think you aren't telling the whole truth in order to make some point against Cuba and it's government.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Why are they laws against victimless crime?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy