Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Drug Legalization
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Drug Legalization (Read 946 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Drug Legalization
Reply #10 - May 23rd, 2017 at 9:16am
Print Post  
DnSn107 wrote on May 23rd, 2017 at 9:12am:
They cause you to become confused, irritable, psychotic, and anxious, and all those symptoms cause you to behave in irrational and often dangerous ways.
So you say...

Perhaps that's what they do to you?

If so, you probably have underlying problems to begin with?

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - May 23rd, 2017 at 10:53am
Print Post  
DnSn107 wrote on May 23rd, 2017 at 9:12am:
They cause you to become confused, irritable, psychotic, and anxious, and all those symptoms cause you to behave in irrational and often dangerous ways.
Funny thing about that, prohibition generally pushes the market towards the more concentrated and extreme forms of intoxicants.

During prohibition of alcohol, the US market shifted away from wine and beer towards spirits.  The obvious reason is that its illegal, so people want the quick easy high that's easy to transport.   So, all the problems you see with stimulants are exacerbated by the fact that they are illegal.  You don's see these problems with caffiene and other legal stimulants.

Other side effects, it empowers gangster and incentivizes the violence associated with gangsters.  The fastest drop in violent crime in US history came at the end of prohibition. 

Not to mention the erosion of basic rights as a result of the war on drugs.

IP Logged

kunstler
Libertarians Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - May 23rd, 2017 at 11:33am
Print Post  
The internet leads to violence as well.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - May 23rd, 2017 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
kunstler wrote on May 23rd, 2017 at 11:33am:
The internet leads to violence as well.
So did Bugs Bunny cartoons and the Three Stooges. Not to mention cowboy and indian shoot 'em up movies and TV shows... And Holy Shit Batman, what about... Well, there were so many I can't keep them straight. The Roadrunner? One violent attempted murder after another, with no consequences ever... I bet that led directly to the Vietnam 'war'. Cry

And the blatant misogyny of Our Gang and the Little Rascals... The theory is that that evil indoctrination of children by those two shows alone led directly to Women's Lib! Cry

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - May 23rd, 2017 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
But kunstler, I thought you wanted to talk about drugs?

Is Lunesta still sold? Or were there too many psychotic episodes leading to violence related to it's use? I know it sometimes caused hallucinations, and there are people who get really paranoid if they start hallucinating... Psychotic even...

I guess that's worth it if it helps some other people to get to sleep?

IP Logged

DnSn107

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - May 23rd, 2017 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on May 23rd, 2017 at 10:53am:
Funny thing about that, prohibition generally pushes the market towards the more concentrated and extreme forms of intoxicants.

During prohibition of alcohol, the US market shifted away from wine and beer towards spirits.  The obvious reason is that its illegal, so people want the quick easy high that's easy to transport.   So, all the problems you see with stimulants are exacerbated by the fact that they are illegal.  You don's see these problems with caffiene and other legal stimulants.

Other side effects, it empowers gangster and incentivizes the violence associated with gangsters.  The fastest drop in violent crime in US history came at the end of prohibition. 

Not to mention the erosion of basic rights as a result of the war on drugs. 

Would it be feasible to legalize the substance but keep illegal the more concentrated and extreme forms of it?

IP Logged

DnSn107

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - May 23rd, 2017 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on May 23rd, 2017 at 9:16am:
So you say...

Perhaps that's what they do to you?

If so, you probably have underlying problems to begin with?

I don't know what they do to me, I've never used them. I'm more responsible than that. However, from everything I've ever read and heard about the substances, I understand that they make most people immediately confused, irritable, psychotic, and anxious.

https://www.elementsbehavioralhealth.com/drug-abuse-addiction/links-between-meth...

http://www.narconon.org/blog/drug-addiction/the-most-common-drugs-that-make-a-pe...

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - May 24th, 2017 at 6:52am
Print Post  
DnSn107 wrote on May 23rd, 2017 at 6:20pm:
I don't know what they do to me, I've never used them. I'm more responsible than that. However, from everything I've ever read and heard about the substances, I understand that they make most people immediately confused, irritable, psychotic, and anxious.

https://www.elementsbehavioralhealth.com/drug-abuse-addiction/links-between-meth...

http://www.narconon.org/blog/drug-addiction/the-most-common-drugs-that-make-a-pe...

Millions of women used methamphetamines as over the counter diet drugs in the '50s. A few got addicted.

Anyway, you think people willingly use these drugs because they like feeling "confused, irritable, psychotic, and anxious"? Or because they want to become "aggressive and angry"?

Does that really make any sense to you at all?

I took some of what people used to call "speed" back in the late '60s. It made me feel tense. I asked myself "Why would I pay money for something that makes me feel tense?" and never took any again. Some people I knew said it made them feel energized, but nobody I knew kept taking it, and none of them got "immediately confused, irritable, psychotic, and anxious".

If you are an adult and want to try it, go ahead. If you like it, you can keep using it until you are addicted if you want to. Just don't steal from me to support your habit and be prepared to face the the consequences if it makes you violent and you hurt someone.

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - May 24th, 2017 at 9:30am
Print Post  
DnSn107 wrote on May 23rd, 2017 at 6:09pm:
Would it be feasible to legalize the substance but keep illegal the more concentrated and extreme forms of it?
It would be but it would probably be unnecessary.  As an example, try getting liquor more than about 100 proof.  Everclear is available some places but nobody drinks it but college students, probably because its illegal for them to buy so if they're going to break the law, they go for cheap and high alcohol content. 

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - May 24th, 2017 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on May 24th, 2017 at 9:30am:
It would be but it would probably be unnecessary.  As an example, try getting liquor more than about 100 proof.  Everclear is available some places but nobody drinks it but college students, probably because its illegal for them to buy so if they're going to break the law, they go for cheap and high alcohol content. 
It's not in fact possible to make only certain really good drugs illegal, while allowing people to legally use diminished versions of the same drugs.

Very high proof moonshine is available (illegally) in the area where I live. So is very high potency (illegal) home grown marijuana and also meth or whatever you want.

When I was in college, I went to Wadleigh's Store and looked in the wine coolers in the back of the store for the best price/alcohol combination I could stand to drink. Usually I looked in the $1 and under cooler first... Hey, I was spending my own money, that I had to work for and didn't have a lot of... I drank lots of Richard's Old Style Hard Cider... 14% alcohol for $0.69/quart! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy)

Sometimes I bought 100 proof grain alcohol (edit: disclaimer. I had Quentin Clark's library card, which proved I was 22! So it was all completely legal!) and mixed it 50/50 with tap water. It made very good vodka! If I put in a good vodka bottle, everybody raved about the Russian's ability to make the worlds best vodka! Grin Of course that's nonsense. The same mixture in a Polish vodka bottle is far superior! Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Drug Legalization
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy