Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Drug Legalization
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Drug Legalization (Read 667 times)
DnSn107

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Drug Legalization
Reply #40 - May 26th, 2017 at 10:42am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on May 26th, 2017 at 7:38am:
Reckless endangerment is illegal and punishable. There are lots of ways you could do it, and maybe you could even invent some heretofore unknown form of reckless endangerment. It's a form of aggression very similar to assault.
Drinking a beer as you drive home from work does not amount to reckless endangerment. Driving erratically and repeatedly crossing the center line and running off onto the berm does, even if you only did it because you were texting or distracted by trying to have sex while you drove.

So you mean reckless endangerment essentially amounts to threatening people, which is illegal?

IP Logged

ahhell
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #41 - May 26th, 2017 at 10:45am
Print Post  
DnSn107 wrote on May 25th, 2017 at 10:08pm:
Okay, so let's say I'm willing to accept that drug legalization produces more net good than bad on a pragmatic and societal level.

Where I struggle is the level of principles, that is, I don't have any on this subject and I've yet to hear any compelling ones. The Opposition argued that we should compromise rights for reasonability and practicality, but everyone else has suggested that it would not be unreasonable or unpracticable to legalize all drugs. Jeff argued that you should only be accountable for aggressing aginst others or their property, but he then seemed to contradict himself by arguing that reckless endagerment should be punishable.

So does anyone have a consistent underlying principle that they're willing to push forward?
Autonomy, it is your body and you have every right to do with it as you please. 

I don't think it Jeff is contradicting himself either.  Just taking a drug, except one that is guaranteed to cause aggression is not reckless endangerment, even then it wouldn't be if you were in an isolated environment where you couldn't actually hurt someone, locked in an empty room, out in the woods alone, what ever.  There is no drug that is guaranteed to cause aggression. 

IP Logged

AlayneLeung
Libertarian Senior Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #42 - May 26th, 2017 at 11:04am
Print Post  
If that amendment to the Constitution, that repealed prohibition amendment to allow alcohol drinking, then how about amending the Constitution to allow for cruel & unusual punishments to be imposed on persons that commit violent crimes because of alcohol drinking or marijuana or cocaine or tobacco smoking including wildfire(s) that kill good person(s) or other dangerous drugs related violence that kill good person(s).   Huh

Yeah, I know, US Libertarian Party opposes death penalty.  Cool

And innocent persons and persons that were poisoned by drugs that coercedly or forcibly were put into them would be put to death by corrupt broken justice system, and drug persons that allowed themselves to commit violence because of drug usage would never be punished. Angry

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #43 - May 26th, 2017 at 11:52am
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on May 25th, 2017 at 9:21pm:
Please quote the post where Jeff said 100 proof mixed 50/50 with water produces something other than 50 proof .

I don't suppose there's much point in engaging with a troll though.

It's implied of course. But he can try to deny his stupidity if he likes. Read the post.

IP Logged

merkelstan

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #44 - May 26th, 2017 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
not going to read the whole troll thread but someone should mention Ritalin.

"Obviously, the lack of any evidence just proves Russia is behind the lack of evidence." - AZJoe

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #45 - May 26th, 2017 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
DnSn107 wrote on May 26th, 2017 at 10:42am:
So you mean reckless endangerment essentially amounts to threatening people, which is illegal?
No. Reckless endangerment means endangering people recklessly. Threatening people is assault.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #46 - May 26th, 2017 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
merkelstan wrote on May 26th, 2017 at 1:30pm:
not going to read the whole troll thread but someone should mention Ritalin.
I already did mention in general the drugs being given to schoolchildren. That would include Ritalin.

How about if I mention that the national government has no power, none, absolutely zero, to make any drug illegal.

If they had such power, the 18th Amendment would not have been needed to prohibit alcohol.

The Executive could have simply classified alcohol as a Class III narcotic and started arresting people!

IP Logged

DnSn107

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #47 - May 26th, 2017 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on May 26th, 2017 at 4:35pm:
No. Reckless endangerment means endangering people recklessly. Threatening people is assault.

The reason threats are illegal is that intentionally causing a person to fear that he or his property will be damaged by you is considered aggression. Reckless endangerment has the same effect, so they're both illegal for the same reason. That's why I was asking if they amount to the same thing legally.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #48 - May 26th, 2017 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on May 26th, 2017 at 7:43am:
I saw an ad for a drug named Lyrica last evening. It can be useful in relieving the pain caused by diabetes and the often long term lingering pain resulting from shingles.
Sometimes Lyrica causes people who take it to become psychotic and suicidal, nevertheless, it is legal because the benefits are seen to outweigh the occasional bad result.

Just like alcohol.

Prohibition of drugs causes far more violence than the use of those drugs.

Because anyone who needs the alcohol is forced to support the gangs!!!

If you had some areas dry and some not, and you want to drink, you go live where there are other drunks and the alcohol is cheap because there's no extra cost associated with risking the wrath of the law.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #49 - May 26th, 2017 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
AlayneLeung wrote on May 26th, 2017 at 11:04am:
If that amendment to the Constitution, that repealed prohibition amendment to allow alcohol drinking, then how about amending the Constitution to allow for cruel & unusual punishments to be imposed on persons that commit violent crimes because of alcohol drinking or marijuana or cocaine or tobacco smoking including wildfire(s) that kill good person(s) or other dangerous drugs related violence that kill good person(s).   Huh

Yeah, I know, US Libertarian Party opposes death penalty.  Cool

And innocent persons and persons that were poisoned by drugs that coercedly or forcibly were put into them would be put to death by corrupt broken justice system, and drug persons that allowed themselves to commit violence because of drug usage would never be punished. Angry

+1 for truth.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Drug Legalization
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy