Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › A Few Questions for Libertarians
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A Few Questions for Libertarians (Read 979 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: A Few Questions for Libertarians
Reply #10 - May 26th, 2017 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
DnSn107 wrote on May 26th, 2017 at 5:28pm:
I meant air pollution.
Same thing.  If the elephants decide to locate their graveyard (where they don't actually bury anybody... yuck!) upwind from your house, you would have a good common law tort complaint against them.

IP Logged

DnSn107

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - May 26th, 2017 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on May 26th, 2017 at 5:43pm:
Same thing.  If the elephants decide to locate their graveyard (where they don't actually bury anybody... yuck!) upwind from your house, you would have a good common law tort complaint against them.

By air pollution, I mean pollutants that release toxic emissions that are damaging to human health. This includes industry emissions, car emissions, farm pollutants, and more. You wouldn't punish elephants for their smell just as you don't punish tornados for destroying private property. Only humans/groups of humans are held accountable for human law.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - May 26th, 2017 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
DnSn107 wrote on May 26th, 2017 at 5:40pm:
Yes I was, but let's not get into that. I'm not asking if it is illegal, I'm asking if it should be according to the NAP.
According to the NAP, if it's your lamb, and you don't hurt it, you can crappity smack it all you want to.

Maybe I'm not perfect in my understanding of the NAP? I don't think it's actually a very good or important principle. Theories of Rights, if adhered to, make the NAP superfluous.

You should probably be discrete about crappity smacking your lamb... just sayin'.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - May 26th, 2017 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
DnSn107 wrote on May 26th, 2017 at 5:53pm:
By air pollution, I mean pollutants that release toxic emissions that are damaging to human health. This includes industry emissions, car emissions, farm pollutants, and more. You wouldn't punish elephants for their smell...
No, no, they don't really smell that bad when they are alive, it's the dead rotting elephant bodies that are the health hazard. I just want them to clean up the graveyard and move it somewhere else.

Edit: "Farm pollutants" and piles of rotting elephants are surely in the same category? So are all those buffalo shitting and pissing in the watershed/wetlands/navigable waters of the U.S..

IP Logged

DnSn107

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - May 26th, 2017 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on May 26th, 2017 at 6:02pm:
Maybe I'm not perfect in my understanding of the NAP? I don't think it's actually a very good or important principle. Theories of Rights, if adhered to, make the NAP superfluous.

Perhaps I'm not either, but most Libertarians I know outside this forum are very adamant about the NAP. Can you clarify what you mean by Theories of Rights?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - May 26th, 2017 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
DnSn107 wrote on May 26th, 2017 at 6:13pm:
Perhaps I'm not either, but most Libertarians I know outside this forum are very adamant about the NAP. Can you clarify what you mean by Theories of Rights?
You never heard of any Natural Rights theory? Really?

My recommendation for you would be to talk more to classical liberals and less to libertarians who are "adamant" about the NAP.

Hopefully, someone in your early childhood taught you it was wrong to hit the other kiddies or take their toys... No? Nobody did? That's why you can't figure out the NAP?

IP Logged

DnSn107

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - May 26th, 2017 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on May 26th, 2017 at 6:04pm:
"Farm pollutants" and piles of rotting elephants are surely in the same category? So are all those buffalo shitting and pissing in the watershed/wetlands/navigable waters of the U.S..

By farm pollutants I mean pesticides and fertilizers that pollute water (so I'm talking about more than air pollution now). Farm pollution is man vs. man aggression, rotting elephants is nature vs. man aggression. The NAP is only about man vs. man aggression, but I think we're past the NAP now so that doesn't matter.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - May 26th, 2017 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
DnSn107 wrote on May 26th, 2017 at 6:20pm:
By farm pollutants I mean pesticides and fertilizers that pollute water...
Right. You pollute my well water and I'll make you pay. It's cheap and easy to have my water tested these days in America (Thanks free market!) so if I find pesticides at harmful levels in my well water, you will regret it you asshole farmer! I'll make sure you never produce any more food for anyone, ever!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - May 26th, 2017 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
DnSn107 wrote on May 26th, 2017 at 6:20pm:
The NAP is only about man vs. man aggression, but I think we're past the NAP now so that doesn't matter.
It never applied to you crappity smacking your own lamb?
No matter, you should still be discrete, most states will arrest and prosecute you if you get caught crappity smacking any lamb... Go figure.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - May 26th, 2017 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
DnSn107 wrote on May 26th, 2017 at 3:27pm:
2) Should a person be allowed to be nude in public, or should "public decency" be illegal at all, including public drunkenness, public sex, and sawing off your leg in public?

Lets move on to question #2...

Once again , what do you think asshole?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › A Few Questions for Libertarians
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy