Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › A Few Questions for Libertarians
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A Few Questions for Libertarians (Read 597 times)
The Opposition
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: A Few Questions for Libertarians
Reply #60 - Jun 10th, 2017 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jun 10th, 2017 at 6:46am:
Let them kill each other if you want to, but that raises the question of why you are keeping chickens in the first place.

Because they're active, intelligent, beautiful, inquisitive, quirky, and interesting beings who are fun to breed into various desired shapes and patterns. The males are also aggressive at times, and it's perfectly natural. You seem to be implying that all the biddies I raised didn't deserve to exist because there is violence in the species.

They don't kill each other anyway, they just fight, mostly to establish dominance. And there are times when you're actually breeding them that one male is not sufficient.

I'm not condoning putting blades over their spurs so they do kill each other, but I am questioning why people don't just put them in the ring without the blades and be happy with a match that's not a death match. Everybody wins, including the chickens.

merkelstan wrote on Jun 10th, 2017 at 7:34am:
Yeah there's a view that rights are not inherent to humanity but to sentient beings, specifically those capable of developing the consciousness of rights.

As you pointed out in another thread, I don't meet those criteria. It's not because I want rights (I don't), but because I know most people are uncomfortable with perfectly sentient people walking around without rights that I suggest sentience alone is sufficient.

merkelstan wrote on Jun 10th, 2017 at 7:34am:
In practice, we tend to punish those who do not demonstrate this consciousness with jail terms and fines.

We're punishing them for their actions, not for their lack of consciousness about rights. I don't believe in rights as they are and because I still don't violate them, I'm not punished. According to everyone except Jeff, this is probably the most correct.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #61 - Jun 10th, 2017 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jun 10th, 2017 at 1:16pm:
Because they're active, intelligent, beautiful, inquisitive, quirky, and interesting beings who are fun to breed into various desired shapes and patterns. The males are also aggressive at times, and it's perfectly natural. You seem to be implying that all the biddies I raised didn't deserve to exist because there is violence in the species.
Sorry, I thought you were being stupid and allowing numerous cocks to survive and fight each other to the death for exclusive rights to the hens.

From my experience with chickens, if you get a mean nasty hen, kill her and eat her when she is still young and tender.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #62 - Jun 10th, 2017 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jun 10th, 2017 at 1:16pm:
We're punishing them for their actions, not for their lack of consciousness about rights. I don't believe in rights as they are and because I still don't violate them, I'm not punished. According to everyone except Jeff, this is probably the most correct.
What?

Yes, punish individuals for their individual transgressions against the rights of others... I do agree, totally. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › A Few Questions for Libertarians
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy