Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Packin Heat!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Packin Heat! (Read 618 times)
merkelstan
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Packin Heat!
Reply #20 - May 29th, 2017 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
There's no debate possible here.

This is the law: "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Want to infringe on keeping and bearing arms?  Amend the constitution.

"Obviously, the lack of any evidence just proves Russia is behind the lack of evidence." - AZJoe

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #21 - May 30th, 2017 at 12:16am
Print Post  
merkelstan wrote on May 29th, 2017 at 11:24pm:

This is the law: "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Well said, sir!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #22 - May 30th, 2017 at 8:08am
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on May 29th, 2017 at 5:43pm:
i've heard it all before punk. You all know how to use your guns! And you're just itchin to get a chance!

Some of you will be statistics, the odds are for sure!

Burglars know how to deal with the situation too. They know that the house they are going to rob probably has some guns so they go in and kill the ones who are old enough to use them first. Those statistics ya know, they don't lie!
Nobody wants to shoot a burglar in their home. If you don't hit them with every shot, you end up with holes in your walls, maybe you'll shoot an electric wire or water pipe. Even if you hit them with every shot, they are going to bleed all over your carpet while they empty their bowels and bladder. Yuch!
Then your home is turned into a crime scene while you have to answers questions from the police instead of getting the rest you need before work (or play) tomorrow.

Yes, burglars are stupid, but they are smart enough to want to always rob empty houses. Since the only houses they can (usually) be sure are empty are those of their families and friends, that's who's homes they usually burgle. Of course if they believe that only old or weak people live in the house, and also believe those people are unarmed, they'll break in there too.

BTW, Once again, burglars are stupid, but they are almost always smart enough not to take guns with them because when they get caught, the penalties are more severe if they have a gun.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #23 - May 30th, 2017 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
merkelstan wrote on May 29th, 2017 at 11:24pm:

There's no need to amend your constitution on this issue. All that is required is a correct interpretation.

If Americans want to interpret it to include machine guns and rocket launchers as 'arms' then that's fine with me. I already know that your society is reaping the rewards of it's excesses as regards that 2nd. amendment.

That's all your problem, or your solution to your problems, however you want to see it. But you can't stop me from taking some satisfaction out of the results! Satisfaction only in the fact that the damage being done to your society is going to force you all to eventually entertain a sensible interpretation.

It's important to Canadians because we don't want your millions of handguns and machine guns leaking over our border. Otherwise, fill your boots!

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #24 - May 30th, 2017 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on May 30th, 2017 at 1:51pm:
It's important to Canadians because we don't want your millions of handguns and machine guns leaking over our border. Otherwise, fill your boots!
That's a valid concern.  Its been a very long time since I was in Canada, but i distinctly remember the customs official ask me if I had any weapons to declare.  Has this changed over the years? They woud never allow machine guns to pass throught the border checkpoints.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #25 - May 30th, 2017 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on May 30th, 2017 at 2:16pm:
That's a valid concern.  Its been a very long time since I was in Canada, but i distinctly remember the customs official ask me if I had any weapons to declare.  Has this changed over the years? They woud never allow machine guns to pass throught the border checkpoints.

No, it hasn't changed. Some firearms aren't legal in Canada and that includes full automatic weapons. I believe that is a very sensible law.

Handguns are legal but there are very heavy restrictions on them and on their use. A handgun can be carried to a range and back hom again with a permit. This limits their legal use to target use and not much else. There are some illegal handguns on the street but not many.

I'm very familiar with rifles and guns, as in shotguns, and find very little to disagree with as concerns our laws and restrictions. I don't think many Canadians would want to see anything changed.

But really, on the part of Americans and the 2nd. amendment, it's mostly in the interpretation. I think most of your problems would be solved with cooperation between the two factions. Unfortunately, there are far too many raving idiots like Jeff who go off on a tantrum at the very idea.

And in fact, usually over-reacts because of an insecurity over what he is demanding remain the status quo.

Not to suggest that you don't feel the same way, but we'll see?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #26 - May 30th, 2017 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on May 30th, 2017 at 2:16pm:
That's a valid concern.

No, it's total bullshit.

It takes a Class III license to own a machine gun in the U.S.

That's expensive.

Machine guns are also expensive, even the cheap ones, and they are all expensive to shoot. The relatively few people who own them (outside of MS-13 gang members, and probably even them) would be extremely upset if their expensive machine gun "leaked" off into Canada or anywhere else...

If you have no idea what you are talking about, you would be well advised to not talk.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #27 - May 30th, 2017 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on May 30th, 2017 at 2:37pm:
But really, on the part of Americans and the 2nd. amendment, it's mostly in the interpretation. I think most of your problems would be solved with cooperation between the two factions.

Actually, I think the 2nd Amendment is not abiguous at all. It says that right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.  2A doesn't say that Americans have the right to keep and bear pistols and rim-fire rifles. Or semi-auto weapons under .50 cal.   It doesn't specify which types of arms can be kept.

2A doesn't say the government is granted the power to infringe on this right "if and when it becomes necessary".

It simply says SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.  PERIOD.  I don't see a whole lot of "wiggle" room there - Do you?

Every single "gun control" measure ever passed is an infringement.  Which means simply that every gun-control measure on the books is Unlawful.

Once the Second Amendment was ratified it became Law. US Politicians who violate Constitutional Law should be removed from office and Punished severly because they took an Oath to UPHOLD the Constitution and Protect it from all enemies, foreign AND DOMESTIC.

I took this oath. I intend to honor it. Congress Critters take this oath, but its meaningless to (many of) them.  They should be publicly flogged.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #28 - May 30th, 2017 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on May 30th, 2017 at 7:06pm:
Actually, I think the 2nd Amendment is not abiguous at all. It says that right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.  2A doesn't say that Americans have the right to keep and bear pistols and rim-fire rifles. Or semi-auto weapons under .50 cal.   It doesn't specify which types of arms can be kept.

2A doesn't say the government is granted the power to infringe on this right "if and when it becomes necessary".

It simply says SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.  PERIOD.  I don't see a whole lot of "wiggle" room there - Do you?

Every single "gun control" measure ever passed is an infringement.  Which means simply that every gun-control measure on the books is Unlawful.

Once the Second Amendment was ratified it became Law. US Politicians who violate Constitutional Law should be removed from office and Punished severly because they took an Oath to UPHOLD the Constitution and Protect it from all enemies, foreign AND DOMESTIC.

I took this oath. I intend to honor it. Congress Critters take this oath, but its meaningless to (many of) them.  They should be publicly flogged.

I see a lot of wiggle room and half your country does too. The only condition that's holding back rational limitations on your 2A rights is politicians fearing kickback from the NRA.

It's all going to change sometime in the future because of the room for interpretation, which you call wiggle room.

Otherwise, I don't see any purpose in this conversation now so I'll just wait for one of you to ask me to pay attention to the topic. That's probably the only real motivation for discussing it further.

As I said, my interest stops at the border. Continue to massacre your children with gun violence, it's nothing much more concern to the rest of us other than an oddity to wonder about?

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #29 - May 30th, 2017 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on May 30th, 2017 at 7:19pm:
As I said, my interest stops at the border. Continue to massacre your children with gun violence, it's nothing much more concern to the rest of us other than an oddity to wonder about?

This is probably the best position for you to have.

Its not fair for Americans to expect foreigners to fully understand the limitations on government which are outlined in the US Constitution. That's our burden, not yours.

Consider us an oddity and leave it at that.  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Packin Heat!
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy